Epic Gems in 4.3: A Critical Analysis

85 Human Warrior
Gotta love people who talk to a few of their friends and declare what they collectively decide as "most people" out of 10 million.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I'm sorry to break this to you, but most people don't like raiding. Sure there's other problems like time commitment and working with such a large group size, but the very bottom line is that raiding is boring as hell.

You make it sound like it's such a blessing that raids are "accessible". Guess what, it's not a blessing. It's like going to a carnival and finding that they can now make more poop on a stick. Now everyone can have poop on a stick! Guess what, most people want cotton candy, not poop on a stick.

i actually very much hate the "everyone should raid" model. it waters down content because "everyone" is not good enough at the game to raid.

my point was that its not like epic gems only drop from heroics. they drop from the content that most people could do if they wanted.

and ok, so you dont raid, you dont like it. that's fine, nothing wrong with that. but do you complain about your inability to get raid gear? if not why would epic gems be any different.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I have 10 85's of which 2 are JCs. 4 alchemists, 2 blacksmiths, 2 enchanting, 3 engineering, etc. I am hooked on professions and I do a lot of PVP and some raiding. I really should get a life.

Anyway, relative to the arguement that the extra +10 is gonna push some over the top, I just don't see it unless the person is BIS for all their other pieces. Spending 2k to 10k is over the top compared to increasing stats with a gear upgrade somewhere else.

What I do see is just general inconsistency to profession design and mechanics. One release goes left, the next goes right, the next one then stops and spins. Good game mechanics should be figured out by the time you get to 4.3 and I really really hope so by 14.6.

It just seems paradoxical when you spend hours raiding to get a piece, then next release tons of BETTER gear drops from the sky by face rolling the new easy instance. But, some profession item like gems or enchanting mats are put on the altar and impossible to get.

From my perspective these inconsistencies take away from enjoying the game. If they are going to make it easy, than make it easy. If hard, than make it hard. But don't half...s it and change it every patch and release.

I like PVP because at least you know what the grind is and it is manageable. You used to be able to buy gems with honor, but it seems that was to good of an idea, so it was eliminated.

For purposes of game consistency, I would go with the prospecting and alchemy mechanics in addition to raid drops. But hey, I'm just a customer.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
12/06/2011 07:59 AMPosted by Bortaz
I like PVP because at least you know what the grind is and it is manageable. You used to be able to buy gems with honor, but it seems that was to good of an idea, so it was eliminated.

Actually it was a bad idea.

In BC you got epic gems from farming trash in BT. This was probably the best way to do it since it gave the masses the ability to get a pug and go kill trash for a while.

In Wrath you got epic gems for logging on basically. In turn, this completely ruined the market for blue/green quality gems. During this time Epic gems where available on the AH for 40-50g for most cuts.. Most of the gems weren't acquired from badges or prospecting but were coming from players boting BGs.

Now in Cata, epic gems are closer to the BC model but I'm willing to bet it will transition into something closer to the wrath model in a few months. Also don't forget that as normal DS starts to be nerfed there will be more and more available on the AH for more peopling killing the bosses.
Reply Quote
totally 100% agree with the OP.

This game is supposed to be fun. Maybe they think creating some weird really annoyingly time consuming/never ending/ eternal raid marathon to get gems will keep people paying for subscriptions....I think if anything the opposite may be true. I wouldn't be shocked to find that they lose more players than they keep from this whole epic gem complete reversal from Wotlk.

Also this game is supposed to be fun. Epic gems for everyone is FUN! And come on, it isn't like this undermines raiders. THEY GET THE BEST GEAR IN THE GAME!

AND raiders get some exclusive mount drops too.

People enjoyed the Wotlk model. People were happy. Bankers got to wheel and deal making money. JC players didn't feel slighted. Alchemists got to transmute. And with systems like that in place even a casual who doesn't understand the markets that well gets to make some gold...and that is fun...

The premise is the problem. This idea that less epic gems makes for a better game play is wrong.

The constantly put forth argument, "They don't matter it is just 10 extra stat points." Then it really isn't that epic is it? BUT it makes people FEEL good and get to have FUN decking out gear in epic gems....this doesn't undermine raiders since they still get the best stuff in the game...and raid gear drops are far from trivial.

how fun is it to have gems that only a small portion of people get...and even then only small portion of them even use them since they are holding them until they get BiS epic gear to put them in...its like why even add them to the game...just to cheese off all the casuals and pvp players?

The majority of WoW players are NOT hardcore raiders. There is a strong minority of hardcore raiders....but the revenue derived from a casual is the same as a hardcore player...$15 a month is $15 a month and I'm shocked Blizzard keeps trying to force everyone to raid when some people may not want to play the game that way...

Last I checked WoW is losing a lot of subscribers...and according to them it was because of the firelands raids...I'm not saying WoW is going to die or all that nonsense...just saying why alienate your player base now when you have just seen that the majority of players are not driven by hardcore raiding?
Edited by Peacefuldude on 12/6/2011 11:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
As a raider and a JC, i find the new way of acheiving Epic Gems retarded. To help my guild in progression I saved all of my tokens to be able to buy all the epic patterns when they dropped. This turned out to be a waste of time as the chance of reciving an epic gem out of a geode is extremely low. Even if you do recieve one, the kind is completely random. Out of all the geodes farmed this last week, not a single epic red gem dropped, as reds are the most in demand it stands that most people may never gear their gear out in all epics, why is this fair to jc's and the community? Blacksmiths don't have to worry about random drops to make their new patterns, nor do other proffessions. I as a JC will make little to no money off my profession as the nature of the drops means that most gems will be used in-house by the few guilds able to do raid content, even if Blizzard allows you to purchase gems with honor points in PvP then that forces me to frm honor in order to make my proffession viable. Thank you blizz, thank you SO much.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
12/06/2011 11:38 AMPosted by Caelik
I as a JC will make little to no money off my profession

You can't be serious.

I've been intentionally undercutting the gem price on my server this week since price gouging aggravates me and I am still rolling in gold. People are getting new gear. They have to gem it. Whether they use epic gems or rare gems they're still all being cut by a JC. This sounds like Coke Zero being all mad because too many people are buying Coke Zero Vanilla.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Read the entire post and I think this is very well thought out and accurate in many ways.

Can't wait to see the storm that follows as epic gems hit the AH at 2k a pop.

2k? ive seen the uncut reds for 12k
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
9K on our server most often
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Some pre-cut epics are now available for PvPers for Conquest points, so that helps somewhat. However, none of the gems are "pure stat" gems (no reds, yellows or blues available). The rest is a mix of dual-stat gems with resil, spell pen and so forth. If you want a red gem for min-maxing, you're out of luck -- a PvPer has to either get lucky with a raid drop or buy them off AH.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Pure and simple: this is the one dark patch of 4.3.

Any patch that makes serious drop 1 profession because it is now the most useless profession in the game and pick up another that is now the best profession in the game is clearly broken.

What's worse is that if their JC main was the only way they were getting epic cut gems, they now have level JC on an alt and do the token grind again.

This is just poor planning on Blizzard's part and pretty much unforgiveable because they planned around it last time around.

Don't get me wrong, I love patch 4.3 to death because of how it makes heroics playable again and raids finally accessble, but the gem thing is just stupid.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin

Really, when you get right down to it, if you show me someone that is upset by epic gems, I will show you someone who is bad at math. The almost non-existant stat difference between epic and rare gems is just not something that is worth worrying about.

Well if they mean so little, then why the need to only have them available to the "elite pve'ers"? This just feels like a new way for Blizzard to spit in the face of the majority of their players, as seen many times this expansion.
Reply Quote
Right now, epic gems, cut or uncut, are going for about 5k on Dawnbringer.

And for some reason, +40agi reds are near 500, but that's probably LFR's fault.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Glad somebody brought this up, being a JC kinda sucks now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I remember being skeptical before the patch. Since the patch, I'm just pissed.

I thought I'd give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt and see how it played out. Maybe I was overreacting. I could handle not getting epics every geode, some chance involved, etc. Then in four out of six geodes I saw uncommon gems - not even rare, just uncommon gems. Those gems you'll never see in a raid drop. Those gems that are supposed to feel like an individual reward that you can't do anything with except perhaps stick them in an alt's gear or the JC daily. Maybe after three full clears you'll have enough uncommons to transmute a meta or make a fire prism.

After seven years, I expect a bit more foresight in implementation.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I remember being skeptical before the patch. Since the patch, I'm just pissed.

I thought I'd give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt and see how it played out. Maybe I was overreacting. I could handle not getting epics every geode, some chance involved, etc. Then in four out of six geodes I saw uncommon gems - not even rare, just uncommon gems. Those gems you'll never see in a raid drop. Those gems that are supposed to feel like an individual reward that you can't do anything with except perhaps stick them in an alt's gear or the JC daily. Maybe after three full clears you'll have enough uncommons to transmute a meta or make a fire prism.

After seven years, I expect a bit more foresight in implementation.

you get a different token from deathwing which you turn in for a geode that is a garenteed epic. +6 small chances from the other geodes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The issue is uncommon gems even being an option for any geode - it should be rare at the least.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]