Selling TCG pets for gold/commission question

90 Draenei Shaman
There's been a guy on my server selling high volumes of the codes for TCG pets the past few days and I was just curious if this was allowed? I've heard before that this is against the ToS (selling items with out-of-game value for in-game currency), but the guy says he's been reported multiple times and nothing has been done.

I made a thread a while back asking if it was allowed to do drawing commissions for gold compensation (I enjoy drawing WoW characters) and the response was mostly "no". If TCG code selling is acceptable or blizzard doesn't bother enforcing it, do you think it's alright to offer my pencil for hire too? I'd rather practice my drawing skills than spend the equivalent time farming.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
No you can't sell the codes themselves for gold. If the item that is rewarded from the code is BoE then you can sell that for gold. The code itself as it's an 'out of game' item is not sellable for gold.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
TCG codes that are IN GAME or IN GAME pets, can be sold for gold.

Your drawings aren't ingame.

The rule is don't cross the streams, if it's real world, in game gold should not be used for it. If it exists in Azeroth as a tradeable item/code IN Azeroth, that's fine.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
They are not allowed to sell the CODE itself for the TCG item... they can only sell the in game item that code redeems for.

In game item for in game item
In game item for out of game code, is against the rules.

Edited by Reenela on 11/30/2011 11:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
11/30/2011 11:45 AMPosted by Somalyyn
No you can't sell the codes themselves for gold. If the item that is rewarded from the code is BoE then you can sell that for gold. The code itself as it's an 'out of game' item is not sellable for gold.

Actually, to clarify this.

There are two codes regarding TCG items. The first code is entered on the website, and can ONLY be sold for real life currency. This code, when entered, gets you a second code.

The second code is entered in the game, and can ONLY be sold for in-game currency. This code, when entered, will get you the item itself.

Most TCG items have become BoE, which means no one should care to get a code. If someone is selling the "code", they can easily redeem the code and sell the item. If they do not do this, then it is probably a scam. But if it not a scam, selling the second code for gold is not a violation.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
That blows. I guess if I want gold I should just buy it off ebay through TCG pets like everyone else.

So much for trying to be a bit more honorable.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
11/30/2011 11:45 AMPosted by Somalyyn

TCG codes ARE in-game items. You input the code to an NPC in Booty Bay.

11/30/2011 11:49 AMPosted by Madisón
Most TCG items have become BoE, which means no one should care to get a code. If someone is selling the "code", they can easily redeem the code and sell the item. If they do not do this, then it is probably a scam. But if it not a scam, selling the second code for gold is not a violation.

There are many players that sell things like Papa Hummel's Pet Biscuit code for gold. The code is input in-game and the item received by the player is soulbound. Since you can't trade the item, the only way to sell it is through the code, and the majority of the time it's not a scam on my realm.
Edited by Samanthâ on 11/30/2011 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
That blows. I guess if I want gold I should just buy it off ebay through TCG pets like everyone else.

So much for trying to be a bit more honorable.

What is dishonorable about selling an in-game item for in-game currency?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]