So I was watching yu yu hakusho.. (fishing)

83 Human Priest
And I had an idea. Ura Urashima was a demon who was essentially a fisherman. Wore fisherman attire and fought with a fishing pole.

There is no way you understand how cool that is.

So, is a fishing pole a viable weapon? For what class? I was thinking I'd like to make it work with a shaman because of healing wave and (if there are any) water themed spells, but enh shaman will not work because all of the abilities require melee weapons.

So, primary spell casters would work best, I assume? Or at least classes whose abilities do not depend on a weapon being equipped.

Help/
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
Just the Mastercraft Kalu'ak Fishing Pole... its only Ilevel 200 but its free underwater breathing
Reply Quote
91 Orc Warlock
You spoke ill of me!

Honest opinion? Roll a warlock so you can turn into a demon, train your fishing, and be the ultimate Nat Pagle!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
They tried making fishing poles weapons in WotLK so that you wouldn't be vulnerable to PvP attacks while fishing. However, they appear to have gone the other way in MoP (which I like), where you no longer need to equip your fishing pole unless you like the look.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
You don't get the bonus (if any) from the pole, and you can't use lures if you don't have it equipped.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/10/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Shalura
You don't get the bonus (if any) from the pole, and you can't use lures if you don't have it equipped.

Yeah the lure thing is a pain. I wonder if that was intended or has just been overlooked.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
12/04/2011 05:39 PMPosted by Jonustenn
So, primary spell casters would work best, I assume? Or at least classes whose abilities do not depend on a weapon being equipped.

Well, sort of. Casters can still use all their abilities with a fishing pole equipped, while melee classes cannot. However, caster weapons have a great deal of spellpower on them. For example, my weapon and off-hand item contribute about 40% of my spellpower. If I were to equip a fishing pole, I would sacrifice all that spellpower.

The weapon is the single most important piece of equipment for every spec. There's no class or spec you can play where you could equip a fishing pole without greatly handicapping yourself.
Reply Quote
55 Pandaren Monk
Actually, you missed that. There was a time you could. Back in either vanilla or early BC, I forget which, fishing poles were actually better weapons for melee than most actual weapons at low level . Not a lot of people noticed this. It was when they were still using the weapon skills, and if you attacked with a fishing pole equipped, it used your fishing skill instead, which, again at low levels, had a much higher cap than the weapon skills did. I remember quite a few warriors with fishing polls in the early battlegrounds that reason. Thus did eventually get noticed and fixed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]