Rogue in the Making Help with Rotation

85 Blood Elf Rogue
I'm sure I'm spec'd right in Sublety, gemmed right, hit is capped, (missing enchants but I'm saving gold for them), glyphed right, reforging all extra hit and mastery to critical, and stacking agility as much as possible.

Why in a dungeon, 1 minute I do 20k dps then the next battle I do 9k dps. I really don't get it.

My secondary is Assassin, I'm about to switch to that and reforge all gear to mastery. But seriously what am I doing wrong? My rotation is as follows:

1 Shadowstep
2 Ambush
3 Hemorrhage
4 Backstab till combo points are built
5 Rupture
6 Shadow Dance
7 Ambush to build combo points
8 Eviscerate
9 repeating from number 3
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Besides the tricks of the trade and feint i do normally to take off aggro, and my tinkering and trinkets i click on, not to mention scroll bufffs, food buffs and flasks I use. My dps varies and it's driving me nuts.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I'll be honest, I'm posting cause my living situation is such that I cannot play right now but I thought I'd check in on our forums. I've been playing since april of 2006 with this toon Nightshine and I have 5 level 85 alts currently and have made over 750k gold on my toons together. I live in the US. Great game we have isn't it?

The center of your comments was around DPS and why it might vary during play at various times. I have pondered that myself many times. I share your concern about a wide variance of damage at times during the rogue rotation. My rogue is combat and has been for a long time. I've tried sub and assasination trees. I have more time on assasination than sub. In general the same stuff applies. My rogue too, in combat spec, also vary dps, at times exactly between the two numbers you mentioned. After some consideration and some observation I do have a few ideas about DPS.

What causes DPS to vary is in my opinion related to rotation, cool downs, buffs, gear, dot stacks, and this one gets forgotten about, other peoples gear, class and so forth. You can do your best with rotation and such but if your gear sucks and others don't, your dps will vary MORE than the difference of your gear. So, imagine you got a lower GS than anyone else and you are trying to measure DPS, very difficult to scale against better gear of three other DPS. So, your slightly lower GS makes a bigger difference because stuff just plain dies too fast. You can adjust your rotation for that like not trying to stack poison when your are undergeared but that dont matter very much.

Trinkets and any cool downs, spacing them out evenly, not blowing all at once, helps too. I see you have a strength trinket and im sure you are going to get an agility trinket as soon as you can. The trinket will not affect your wide variance of DPS. Buffs from hunters, dk's, pallies, druids, ect make a considerable difference too so pay ettention to what buffs are up. The best buff for a rogue in raid is the strength and agil buff of like 500 or so, from DK and hunter pet, warrior might have it too. If that is up your damage will be more and combined with other like the druid buff you got way better dps than if those are not up.

Rupture and poison stacks are not needed when you are racing to kill mobs with other players with better gear. Remember the #1 scaling ability the rogue has is main hand weapon damage. If what you are doing is not delivering the most main hand weapon damage than you need to think about why. Combat is main hand wep, assanation (assuming you can stack poison enough) envenom will matter equally due to the poison stacks instant app but only if you got time to stack it to 5 and get some instant apps. If your not getting 5 stacks on an envenom spec, in an undergeared situation, wound will apply more and get more damage lol. In sub, your burst is always a big series of backstabs or ambush combos. I used to like cheap shot, backstab, shadowdance, ambush,cheap shot as needed and get up to 5 ambushes on one target, do that on a non resilience target you will get over 20k. If those cool downs are not up you will get way lower dps.

Burst damage is not really the same as sustained DPS so dont confuse the two. My combat rogue bursts near 25k and sustained is around 16k or so. Blade flurry on mobs cannot be beat. Focus on main hand weapon damage.

Peace
Edited by Nightshine on 12/7/2011 1:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Whisper me in game i'll give you a hand, plenty of exp in all specs with top end rankings
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
^ Always asks for advice in org trade chat....just throwing that out there.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I sell tips for oranges!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
rouge here, new to raid and dungon lookin 4 good damage rouge for advise whisper
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
#OccupySpirestoneForum
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Make sure your keeping Snd/Recup, and time your cd's.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]