Is Elite PvP gear truly Elite?

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I see it nearly impossible to feel a sense of accomplishment when everything is simply handed to everyone; PvP is supposed to be about the competition. Why should this aspect of the game be taken away from us? :(

Arenas will die off if there is no reason to be there and nothing left to strive for.

I don't agree that the best gear should be given to the general public; That's what the honor and non-elite conquest gear is for, isn't it? With no intentions of offending our beloved company, it would only be honest to say that Blizzard hasn't really been known for being a very fair company when it comes to the PvP version (and various other things) in this game; They might consider giving the same gear to all players fair, but it's not, i'd actually even say it's completely the contrary.

All there is to say about this topic is if we are all special then soon no one will be special.

I understand what Blizzard is trying to get at, they want skills to determine the outcome of a fight rather than gear, and they also want to keep the majority of the game,the casuals, from protesting about how unfair it is that they can't get gear just because they lack the skill. However, regular players CAN get gear, just not the elite version of it. Does the re-skinned version of the regular conquest sets really count as a reward for us hardcore Arena or RBG players who actually work hard (somewhat) for our ratings and achievements?

PvE now has three different sets for the same tier: raid-finder (casuals), normal raid (average), heroic (hardcore), yet, it's considered unfair to have different sets for PvP conquest gear but not PvE? If all there really is to receive from PvP is the same titles and shiny new mounts from every on-going season, what else is there for the rest of the playerbase to look forward to other than a T2 wep with a few extra stats and
a differently skinned conquest set? Not only that, but our usual PvP season tabards have also been taken out of the game after Cataclysm hit; now we have even less to look forward to.

You get previous season's gear for Honor, this is like rewarding top tier raid gear for completing the old raids, which is fine, but, for years, wearing the latest season gear has proven (Kind of) that you're a skilled PvPer. However, now anyone with an excessive amount of time, and with no skill requirement at all, can now just conquest cap through arenas, RBGs and now random BGs, with the use of absolutely no skills at all, and still receive exactly the same gear and stats that any player with true skills would?

It's understandable for Blizzard to do what the casuals want and leave the minority without a thought, after all... It gets them the most subscribers; which at the end of the day is all that truly matters.

Okay, I'm done QQing for now; Please feel free to comment on how much you agree or disagree with me!

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
The big difference between PvP and PvE is there are no true winners or losers in PvE.

Sure the guy with better gear will do more DPS, but overall, unless you wipe, everyone wins. Yay!
Edited by Fadingshadow on 12/9/2011 12:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
There should be more rewards for players who dedicate their time to competitive PvP. Gear being aesthetically different is perfectly fine, in my opinion; after all, the gear allows you to compete, while you compete in PvE to get gear. Backwards priorities.

Reimplementing gladiator tabards would be a great decision, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I am all for rewards for the elite PVPers but it should not be based around better gear. True elite PVPers should not care about who has what because as a player they are better. To say otherwise more or less displays that without your elite gear you are simply no better then the average player. What you are really asking is for no challenge at all, rather to just 3 shot "scrubs" because after all THAT is what is fun correct? Screw challenge. IMO its all backwards, you should want an equal challenge to test your so called skill.

Different looking gear, aesthetic stuff, sure. There should be something to single them out.

Another issue is balance. This game is not balanced and never will be even if Blizzard made a dedicated effort towards it. There will always be that one class, spec, or comp that will have an advantage. When you see a Feral druid or Sub rogue in the 2200s you think nothing of it because its quite common but when you see an elemental shaman or a warrior in the 2200s you usually think either they are amazing players or were carried.

IMO this PVP system cannot support what you are asking, at least not without looking completely flawed, more so then it already does.

Besides there are elite weapons - that should be enough.
Edited by Nohman on 12/9/2011 1:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warrior
The vast majority of players who participate in arenas will never reach 2200. Of course Blizzard is going to do what is best for the masses.

Also, the idea of giving better players a gear advantage over the lesser skilled players is absurd to begin with.

And this statement:

Arenas will die off if there is no reason to be there and nothing left to strive for.

Is false. In BC (excluding S4), the only item that required a rating was the shoulders and there was BY FAR more participation in arenas in BC than there is now. For instance, in S3 on popular BGs there were normally around 20,000 active 3v3 teams while now that number hovers more around 5,000.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Arenas will die off simply out of imbalances. For most of us its just a quicker way to get points, not a serious competitive endeavor. I'd guess that random BGs is what the majority rather partake in. Imbalances are not as obvious and everyone generally has a decent time.
Edited by Nohman on 12/9/2011 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
The big difference between PvP and PvE is there are no true winners or losers in PvE.

Sure the guy with better gear will do more DPS, but overall, unless you wipe, everyone wins. Yay!

I disagree. In PVP in theory everyone should have the same level gear b/c at the end of the day PVP should be about personal skill/team skill. But, the problem with implementing that is, what fun is it to just go in and PVP without a reward. IF they were to put super cool transmog sets or mounts/pets/etc that distinguish good pvpers vs those starting out or that aren't as good. Then I think that may work.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
The vast majority of players who participate in arenas will never reach 2200. Of course Blizzard is going to do what is best for the masses.

Also, the idea of giving better players a gear advantage over the lesser skilled players is absurd to begin with.

And this statement:

Is false. In BC (excluding S4), the only item that required a rating was the shoulders and there was BY FAR more participation in arenas in BC than there is now. For instance, in S3 on popular BGs there were normally around 20,000 active 3v3 teams while now that number hovers more around 5,000.

Uh absolutely every item required a rating weapon was 2050.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
as mentioned before and by others elite gear should be tiered similar in how wrath rating were, on top of that you should have A LOT of vanity items available, including tabards, mounts, pets and such.

having a tabard that holds banner flag similar as the squire pet would be simply amazing, or remake of the tabard of the light, and so many other things as simple as re-skinning existing models would do wonders for participation.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
@storm
who cares about the pvp gear. More importantly, what is the proc rate on Maw of the dragonlord and how much does it heal for?

the teiring of the "elite" gear will give incentive to people, atm people get to their perceived glass ceiling and stop and farm at that rating with no encenetive to push themselves up hundreds of rating for t2, but if you structure it were each new reward is 100 or even 200 pts away that gets people to "push" themselves for the goal.

as for the mace, icd is about 30sec and heals for be about 7k in a cone spread about 15yards out and it can crit; as i got it last night haven't had a chance to play with it alot.

side note 5k dps dk got the whirlwind trinket, 10k dps hunter got the agility proc trinket, and I lost the sprit stacking trinket to some who did half my healing, i love lfr.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
12/09/2011 02:23 PMPosted by Bromanced
Uh absolutely every item required a rating weapon was 2050.

Season 3 was the first season weapons required rating, they changed it that season so PVE heroes couldn't farm the pvp weapons for raiding like the did for season 1&2.

but that was because many specs didn't have weapons available to them, combat rogues is a good example for t4 / t5, they either shared the only 1h melee sword with everyone or it was on one of the last bosses of the teir. If you didn't use pvp sword you tended to have either a crafted or blue weapons all through t4 into t5.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
@paiis

after a few bgs the proc has show to be more or less a waste of ilvl budget, the heal range is to short and as describes require you to be facing your targets
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
12/09/2011 02:45 PMPosted by Bromanced
Blizz did not like the fact that pvp weapons were so powerful and easy to attain for raiders so they put rating requirements on them.

agreed but the problem was vastly amplified because there wasn't proper weapon itemization.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hmm, interesting points; although I still believe "hardcore" PvPers are not being rewarded enough for their efforts in arenas and Rbgs compared to casual PvPers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]