whats making savage leather so expensive?

85 Night Elf Priest
whats making savage leather so expensive? do you see it getting cheaper any time soon?
i am trying to level leather working from buying out mats but i might have to farm it. i really dont want to farm it. how long do u think it will be for prices to go down.
100 Orc Hunter
i really dont want to farm it.

That's why. Nobody wants to farm it.
90 Night Elf Druid
New content = less skinners skinning :(
85 Goblin Death Knight
Demand is up, supply is down (everyone farming new dungeons or old dungeons for transmog).
85 Tauren Paladin
Yeah not much skinning to be had in the new content
85 Worgen Priest
whats making savage leather so expensive? do you see it getting cheaper any time soon?
i am trying to level leather working from buying out mats but i might have to farm it. i really dont want to farm it. how long do u think it will be for prices to go down.

Well unlike WTLK which had quite a few really good places to farm Leather, Cataclysm has no such place. TB would be a really good place with all the crocs around but people only go there to do their dailies.

And just like you don't want to farm the mats, others prefer to do the same. At least on my realm, LW are very rare. LW isn't a very profitable profession over the course of an expansion. The amount of leather required to level LW also doesn't really help the cause.

Then you finally come down to supple and demand. With so very few people actually willing to farm the mats the skinners can set their price accordingly which results in higer prices/
85 Human Death Knight
as others have pointed out, if you dont want to farm it, others likely dont either.

also leather is used much less than herbs/ore AND you have to kill mobs to get it so most people who gather have herbalism and mining as you can do both at the same time. just leaves less people skinning.

also patch demands, every single phsyical DPS and tank in the game needs at least 1 new leg armor which is 1 pristine hide aka 10 heavy savage aka 50 savage leather. this is the only temporary thing that caused high prices on leather. though tbh on my server it hasnt even gone up that much so i doubt it will really go down to much either.
90 Human Priest

There are two good places to farm leather, but now they're pretty empty, as people run the new instances. I used to take my skinner to the spider area in the Molten Front and run around like a spider on speed skinning everything. And then, if we held TB, I'd go do the croc daily and hope that one of the spider ones was up.

But now with three new instances stuffed with loot, no one goes out to do dailies that reward lower quality gear. And at the same time, lots of people want new leg armor.

So I still go skinning if I'm waiting on an instance queue. But I don't find all those lovely looted and unskiinned spiders like I did a few weeks ago. Oh well.
90 Goblin Rogue
ok my hunter is a skin/lw and i find that savage leather is needed for the pristine hides which all the new patterns need so i found a really great place to get savage leather from. go to twilight highlands there are several places that you can get it fast cuz the mobs are close to each other...40 minutes i get about 180 leather alot of times i get more cuz of lvl 25 guild. if you dont want to farm it then you will have to pay peoples high prices which i think is stupid
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Bots make the world go round, sadly. Blizzard banned several thousand botters. Hence the huge spike in price of Ore/Leather. The only thing that didn't suffer was whiptail. Thank god for druids.
100 Draenei Warrior
Probably the best place now is the Spire side of the molten front dailies. All the spiders there are skinnable.

My guess is that prices for leather will always be high since LW requires a massive amount of it to make one piece. And farming it is so tedioius since you get 1 or 2 (rarely) from each kill. I have two skinning alts and my LW also skins to be able to keep my supply up.

Good luck with it!
90 Tauren Priest
12/13/2011 01:24 PMPosted by Gnorf
i really dont want to farm it.

That's why. Nobody wants to farm it.
85 Worgen Hunter
There's also the annoying fact that for each monster skinned you get 1, maybe 2, savage leather (2 if you're in a sufficiently leveled guild and get lucky enough for the relevant perk to proc) which means (assuming a 20% proc rate, probably not that high) that a pristine hide takes ~40 kills to farm up (and that's also assuming no alternate skinning loot like blackened dragon scales)
Skinning is like this the whole way through, you get either 1 leather on level or 1-? (1 less that needed to grade up) of the next level down. Either skinning needs to have it's drops buffed, or LW needs the recipe costs nerfed (not both though, that would probably swings too far the other way)
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Skinning is the crappiest of the three gathering professions. That's why.

95 Gnome Death Knight
Efficient skinning is one of two things: 1) wait for the right dailies to be up and camp the area for corpses, or 2) make friends with a tank who can round up tightly-packed groups of mobs easily. If you can combine one and two at the same time, you'll have a few stacks of leather in no time.
85 Draenei Shaman
12/29/2011 12:19 PMPosted by Deliena
Skinning is the crappiest of the three gathering professions. That's why.

Four*

Tailoring skins humanoids for cloth.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]