New Haste Cap for Resto

90 Troll Shaman
So my i'm learning from my friend how to play this resto shaman....and he is saying the stat priority after int and spirit is:

Haste to cap(900ish)
Mastery
Crit

He never raided in 4.2 so he had basically, 353 ZA and ZG items with a couple valor items. He also hasn't played his shaman in 4.3 so he knows nothing new about the class for 4.3

he said that mastery and crit can be flip flopped tho.....if ppl aren't getting low while ur healing...mastery is kind of wasted, so you would go into crit over mastery

i have 2 questions:

1) With the introduction of 4.3 is there a new haste cape to achieve? He said 900ish for an extra rip tide tick and something else.....but i assumed with the way numbers grow exponentially now that we might be able to hit a new cap with 378 gear.

2) For a fresh 85, would you go mastery over crit, or crit over mastery? I know my heals are going to be a little lackluster so ppl might get pretty low at the beginning so i was assuming Mastery over Crit until i feel a change.
Edited by Whataman on 12/13/2011 3:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
30 Undead Warlock
int/haste916/spirit/mastery/crit

Done.

PS you could go for 2005 haste but unless you have the right gear for it (heroic/high level) i don't find it worthwhile.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Seriously, best advice I can give is to click your finger over the link for Secretgardens Resto Shaman thread stickied up there. Secret keeps it up to date and has ALL the information you could possibly need or want if your just starting out.

Remember to keep in mind, what your role is when you read the sticky. 5 mans, 10 mans and 25 mans, raid or tank heals, all have differences slightly in stat/spec priority. Don't ignore those.

If AFTER reading it all through, you STILL have questions, then post.
Reply Quote
8 Orc Shaman
The next haste cap is 2005, which right now, is easily reached by goblins due to their racial but can give others some difficulty, depending on their gear. For me personally, I'm not quite able to reach that cap, and my gear is sitting around a 380 item level, mostly normal Firelands stuff (DS hates me and refuses to drop anything).

And yes, Secretgarden's sticky is awesome and will tell you exactly what to reforge for depending on your role and gear level.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
12/13/2011 03:55 AMPosted by Whataman
mastery and crit can be flip flopped

Don't make me laugh.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I still can't reach the 2005 haste cap yet, so I will stick with the 916 and stack mastery until I can. Serves me well so far.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
12/13/2011 11:12 AMPosted by Kapzug
I still can't reach the 2005 haste cap yet, so I will stick with the 916 and stack mastery until I can. Serves me well so far.

You are almost there, I'm able to hit the haste breakpoint with the tier pieces, your pretty close.
Though, I do have a trinket I'm dying to get rid of, just can't afford to dump the spirit yet.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I got to 2005 haste and I am loving it.

If the raid's were like FL (spread out) I would probably think twice about 2005 haste, but as a 10 man healer in DS (working on heoric modes) I defiantly think the extra tick to Riptide, ELW and Healing Rain is worth it.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest

If the raid's were like FL (spread out) I would probably think twice about 2005 haste, but as a 10 man healer in DS (working on heoric modes) I defiantly think the extra tick to Riptide, ELW and Healing Rain is worth it.

You only get the extra tick of RT from 2005. The next tick of HR is 2900ish and i think ELW is 3700ish.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

You only get the extra tick of RT from 2005. The next tick of HR is 2900ish and i think ELW is 3700ish.

Sorry yeah you are right. But given the buff to Riptide, its still totally worth it. I just never liked heavy mastery build's. Sure they hit when the target is really low on HP and the stars are in the right alignment ... that's just too situational for me
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I'm not to sure that going above the 2005 breakpoint would really be worth it, well, the HR one would be, but definitely not further. At least not in 10 mans. the extra ELW tick doesn't do nearly enough in 10's to sacrifice all that mastery for it.

I'm quite happy where I sit right now (properly equipped. logged out in the the LFR mace that drops my haste some.) I've got 2005 breakpoint and the rest of my stats aren't to bad. Everything else will be going into mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I'm happy with the current build that I am rolling with, 2005, forget about spirit, and stack as much mastery as possible with a little crit here and there with a 3/5/33 talent tree.

Right now my stats are looking like:
15.69: 2009 Haste (sadly can't shave off that extra 4)
3149 Static spirit ( both trinkets constantly up)
16.90: 116 Crit
20.24: 2194 Mastery.

I two heal Dragon Soul 10M with a resto druid. Our group is currently 1/8HM.
So far from the stats I have and the way I reforge, I have not noticed any mana problems and really enjoy whooping our druid in the meters even though he keeps extremely close in majority of the fights. The extra tick from riptide is really nice since I try to keep it rolling on 3-4 people at a time. Doing that should put the most benefit out of the 2005 haste breakpoint seeing as most of the fights there is quite a bit of raid damage. Faster CH and HR is pretty nice as well :). Hope my little input helps anyone who reads ^-^

Oh also as a little side tip, try and get 2005 haste with a Maw equipped, and switch out healing weapons on certian fights when needed, aka H Morchock when the raid is split :P
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
You can either

1) Stay at 916 haste
2) Get to 1290 haste (less if you get dark intent) if you have the resto 4-piece bonus for 2 extra healing rain ticks when using SWG (with the bonus).
3) Get to 2005 haste (1573 haste if you have dark intent). Gives you the extra riptide tick.

All three are perfectly viable, just choose which one you want to go with.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
still nobody but me playing with the 2900 bracket :/

very doable with well itemized gear.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
still nobody but me playing with the 2900 bracket :/

very doable with well itemized gear.

And green midget.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
my haste is only around 1880(15.84%) but with wrath of the air jumps to 22% and with raid healing(lots of healing rain and earthliving) u get alot of HoT ticks as such velocity(buff from seal of the seven signs 10man) is pretty much always up which has me sitting on around 4780haste for most of all boss encounters, which is very nice. and the crit for mastery is a no brainer(DONT DO IT) lol
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Honestly, there's no "right" way to gear/reforge as a resto shaman.
There's a general guideline you can follow, but there's a few different specs/reforge options that all work viably, it just depends on what you prefer.

If you look at some resto shamans on world of logs, I don't see any of them with the same stats. Some have the 2005 haste "cap" others just go for 916, some are doing 1268 so they hit the next ticks when they pop SWG(w/ 4pc)....

It's been awhile since I reforged for the 2005 haste threshold, so I can't say I know first hand if it's worth it or not.
Edited by Foxglove on 4/27/2012 6:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
mastery and crit can be flip flopped

Don't make me laugh.

Yeah, OP, did your friend...
...I don't know...
...fall down the stairs and suffer a concussion recently?
edit: good lord what a necro
Edited by Kiango on 4/27/2012 6:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
While this is a necro something to keep in mind is that the only way I see haste and crit being able to be flip-flopped is if you are healing heroic dungeons at which point people's health should rarely be dipping. However, at the same time it really doesn't matter how you gear for dungeons if you know what you're doing.

Since the OP posted back in December and is still rocking LFR/dungeon gear/397 BoEs/VP/dungeon gear it's pretty safe to say that this guy doesn't really raid, or at best will see maybe half of normal DS. At that level health is probably not going to be dipping very much which does really weaken the value of mastery.

Overall though everyone knows that for any half-way serious raider or above that mastery and haste are both far more valued than crit/spirit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]