best 'free' leveling add on

(Locked)

66 Troll Druid
hey guys, ive been watching a lot of youtube videos of people leveling their toons ( yes i like watching that type of stuff!) and they always talk about addons that help with choosing which quests to get, where to go, and so on, but those ones always cost a lot of money! i finally found a free one but it is super messy and it honestly doesnt help because it adds a bunch of random quests that dont exist anymore. so does anyone know of a good 'free' leveling guide addon? and don't sugguest wow-pro because that is the messed up one.
tso if you know any good ones, if you could post a link to so i may look at it, it would be very appreciated!
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
All addons are free, it's against the addon policies to charge for them. So those videos are very old that you are watching demonstrating mods that used to charge at one point but no longer do (or are discontinued). Blizz amended this policy a good while back to prevent such thing. If someones still trying to charge you it's an utter scam and you steer clear of it.

here are some options you can try
In game tips like having wowhead at your fingertips
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info7017-LightHeaded.html

A leveling helper (that actually did used to charge but is free now)
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/carbonite#t1:description
Edited by Omegal on 12/19/2011 9:37 PM PST
66 Troll Druid
oh ok well thank you, and yea the guides that charge are called zygo's and xcelerated
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
12/19/2011 09:37 PMPosted by Piethon
oh ok well thank you, and yea the guides that charge are called zygo's and xcelerated
'
guides are different from mods, they charge for the guide but mods themself must be free. Either way, it's still a rip off. You can get everything you need from lightheaded or wowhead or even carbonite (with some quirky bugs sometimes). Leveling in wow is easier then ever, blizz has greatly streamlined it so 1-60 has much better flow, outlands and northrend have been spead up considerably in 4.3 as well as dungeon quests streamlined and moved into the dungeons themselves instead of spread out like a treasure hunt. Group quests changed into solo quests etc. You will find that once you get moving you won't need anyones costly guide.
66 Troll Druid
oh ok well thank you very much, do you hapen to know of any good sites with great addons for eveling, classes, and other stuff?
85 Tauren Druid
Honestly the stock wow ui is better at helping you quest than any mod I have seen. Just turn on quest tracking on the map and go from blob to blob. Works great for me, plus I don't have to run any addons specific to questing. I'm sure you could over think it a lot and find a guide to tell you what quests to do, but I would bet that the amount of time you spend reading that would negate its value.
85 Tauren Paladin
WoW-Pro

http://wow-pro.com/addon
85 Gnome Rogue
It took me three weeks after I started world of warcraft to get level 85, it takes some time but it's easy enough and fun, I did it without addons, Im actully looking for some now to help with my other toons, if I were you ide either dungon, or quest to 85, whatever you prefer, and if its questing, look up a guide when your stuck
85 Troll Mage
12/20/2011 12:36 AMPosted by Funkichicken
Honestly the stock wow ui is better at helping you quest than any mod I have seen. Just turn on quest tracking on the map and go from blob to blob.
I used to use TourGuide; it has default guides included (but there are others you can get online, for free or otherwise). The advantage it had was that it told you where to go pick up quests and when to go complete them, so you can do all the possible quests in a given area (barring chain quests) at once.

Once you have the quests in your log, the stock UI is more than sufficient to complete them efficiently. However if there are questgivers in 3 disparate areas of a zone, that all send you to a 4th area (BC zones and old Barrens come to mind); such guides make the experience a lot more efficient by telling you not to do quests A and B until you also pick up quest C (since they all involve either killing the ogres, taking stuff from the ogres, or freeing the ogres' prisoners).
92 Night Elf Druid
TourGuide was the old standby for me. Then I switched to WoW-Pro. If you are at a point where you are searching for that last missing quest for Loremaster (or you just want EVERY single quest) there are many options detailed in http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4253898080 which should be able to help.
12/20/2011 12:36 AMPosted by Funkichicken
Honestly the stock wow ui is better at helping you quest than any mod I have seen. Just turn on quest tracking on the map and go from blob to blob. Works great for me, plus I don't have to run any addons specific to questing. I'm sure you could over think it a lot and find a guide to tell you what quests to do, but I would bet that the amount of time you spend reading that would negate its value.

This. Honestly get used to it while you can. From what I hear, Carbonite isn't being supported in MoP (The 'Latest' version I have even notifies me "This version is pretty old"). It's honestly going to be pretty painful for me in MoP. There's just something about having a miniature, scale-able, interactive world map in the corner along with the standard minimap, I'm too used to having it :P.
100 Worgen Druid
The only part of leveling you could conceivably need a guide for at this point is 60-80. Everything else is linked together and streamlined via breadcrumb quests leading from one zone to the next, and most importantly, by the Hero's Call/Warchief's Command boards.
85 Troll Mage
04/03/2012 10:26 PMPosted by Ninerva
The only part of leveling you could conceivably need a guide for at this point is 60-80. Everything else is linked together and streamlined via breadcrumb quests leading from one zone to the next, and most importantly, by the Hero's Call/Warchief's Command boards.
Honestly, this. Even my reasons that support tourguide are only really relevant in BC and (to some extent) Northrend zones. Cata and the new 1-60 zones all have very nice quest flow.

With the suggested delinearization of questlines in MoP; that might become a useful feature again, but I suspect that Blizzard will have some sort of functionality built-in. I've already read something about side-quests that have questgivers visible in the zone map, regardless of distance.
90 Blood Elf Priest
can someone link me some good leveling guides (that are free) or mods. i wana level up some alts fast.
90 Human Rogue
Ever since Cataclysm, guides are completely unnecessary. Leveling is pretty much a straight path now. Just move onto the next zone every time a quest is given to you to do so, and you're set.
90 Goblin Warlock
Carbonite is completely and utterly outdated. It is maintained by fan updates at the moment, but even those carry with them a plethora of bugs which can be detrimental to a new player (not the fault of the maintainers just the nature of trying to fix someone else's work). Please stop suggesting this mod until it is updated properly.

Zygor Guides I would highly recommend as an add on if it were free or you didn't need to use their website to get the full version, the only issue I have with it is the security on their website and their updater are a joke (they store your username and pass in plain text in the registry and the updater sends -at least it used to- your username and pass in plain text using a URL string - if you don't know what that means, just trust me, its bad). Not to mention they are now having new (trial users) sign up for some mailing list with a 3rd party website.

A few good addons that will help with leveling are:
Lightheaded. Lightheaded is basically an ingame wowhead comments browser that has integrated TomTom Support.

TomTom. TomTom is an addon that works pretty much like an ingame GPS. With lightheaded if you click on coords it will show you an arrow pointing to where the coords are.

SellTrash. This addon (or a similar one) automatically sells your trash (grey) items when you visit a vendor. It is lightweight.

ArkInventory. This addon basically simplifies your bags/bank and allows you to search your bank or bags and view other toons bags.

Altoholic. Recommended if you have more then 1 character. This keeps track of a ton of things.

With those and the default Quest UI you should have very little trouble leveling. If you still have questions about how to complete a specific quest or quest step and lightheaded isnt enough help, make sure you bookmark http://www.wowhead.com/. Just search the quest name, then browse the comments (you can sort by highest rated). The comments are all rated by the users, so the most helpful ones will almost always be the highest rated.
92 Night Elf Druid
And once you are done leveling, and you want to go back and get all the quests you have missed, you can try out Wholly and Grail.

Anyway, for leveling, if you want to use an addon, the WoW Pro addon works pretty well.
87 Blood Elf Death Knight
Is Wowpro free or does it have a fee?
100 Night Elf Hunter
This thread has been necroed a few times now. Let it die. Check the date of threads before replying, and start a new thread if it's more than a month old. This one is almost 2 years old.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]