Possible Suggestion/Bug Android Authenticator

85 Worgen Druid
Phone: Galaxy Nexus

The widget for the Authenticator is not updating automatically, it only shows the last code produced while the app was open.

I see this as an issue becuse it makes the widget completely useless, I realize that this could be an API change/bug in icecream sandwich, or it could be that the OS doesn't support the active updating of widgets because the sheer amount of updating the widget that many times a day would be a severe drain on the phone's battery.

so my suggestion is quite the simple one, enable an option for people to check to actively update there widget, or change the widget itself to enable passive updating when a refresh button is pressed on the widget itself.

and if it's a bug... send out an update with the fix :-P
Reply Quote
MVP
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
Someone posted about it here as well: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3759616250
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
We've tested this behavior with the Galaxy Nexus using 4.0.2 and have yet to encounter a consistent problem with the widget. We're still testing this, however. We encountered a rare freeze on the Droid 1 after returning from sleep mode, but hardly anything that renders the widget useless.

We're still looking into this and really only have reports to work with. It's possible that a process integral to the widget is being killed. Do you have anything running that would potentially interfere with the widget or processes associated with it? Also, is the device rooted?
Reply Quote
MVP
We're still looking into this and really only have reports to work with. It's possible that a process integral to the widget is being killed. Do you have anything running that would potentially interfere with the widget or processes associated with it?

Yeah, I replied to that other thread, this is what's doing it for me, killing all apps with a task manager.

12/21/2011 12:36 PMPosted by Wilebosk
Also, is the device rooted?

And if it matters, mine isn't rooted, no.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Just found this thread after a quick google search and didn't want to make a new one.

Also running a Galaxy Nexus (Mine is rooted however) Widget will not show anything but the code from the last time the app was opened, I am not using a task killer at all, it does not make a difference if the app has been recently opened or my phone has been in sleep mode for a while.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have a Samsun Galaxy something or other. Mine doesn't work either. The widge that is. I don't use a task killer, should I? The numbers change, but it's never correct. It's never, ever, ever been once correct. what does rooted mean?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I can confirm this is an ongoing issue for me.

I had a Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.1 yakjuux stock (not rooted). Widget never updated consistently, but I would say the problem is there 90% of the time, rather than sporadically.

Recently switched to a new phone (i.e. new hardware) also Galaxy Nexus. This one has been rooted and flashed to 4.0.2 yakju. It was one of the very first apps I downloaded as a fresh phone, same problem.

Root/non-root is not the issue since i have tried both. A fresh phone has no tasks or other apps that would affect the widget. There's something fundamental to Android 4 that doesn't play nicely with the widget which I assume hasn't had any major updates directly dealing with Android ICS.

In fact, as i am writing this, I exited the app right as a number expired, and the widget number froze at that number red (meaning about to expire).
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Hunter
I too have been experiencing this problem (GSM Galaxy Nexus, unrooted) -- the widget starts out working great and then sometime later i'll go to use it, get the code rejected, and when I open the app the actual code is nothing like the displayed code.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
This bug is not (necessarily) caused by Ice Cream Sandwich. My Droid 4 running Gingerbread 2.3.6 has a less severe version of the same problem. In the long intervals between the game asking me to authenticate, the Mobile Authenticator widget will stop updating its codes. After I tap it to open the full app, the widget will resume updating for a time.

Maybe I'll set my account to always ask for the authenticator code, that would give me a better idea of when the widget stops updating.

EDIT: According to Settings->Applications->Running Services, the TokenService for Battle.net Mobile Authenticator has been running for 308 hours. As of just an hour ago, my widget was not updating.
Edited by Balach on 2/26/2012 8:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Since the 1.1.3 update I am having something similar happen on my HTC Inspire Droid Version 2.3.3 . I if my phone is locked and I want to grab the code from the widget I have to hit the refresh button on the widget instead of it just being displayed like it was in 1.1.2 . Also after the code is displayed it does not update unless I tap it again or open the actual app. This completely breaks the widget. If I hit the app instead I would have a better experience. Please fix it!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
This bug is not (necessarily) caused by Ice Cream Sandwich. My Droid 4 running Gingerbread 2.3.6 has a less severe version of the same problem. In the long intervals between the game asking me to authenticate, the Mobile Authenticator widget will stop updating its codes. After I tap it to open the full app, the widget will resume updating for a time.

Maybe I'll set my account to always ask for the authenticator code, that would give me a better idea of when the widget stops updating.

EDIT: According to Settings->Applications->Running Services, the TokenService for Battle.net Mobile Authenticator has been running for 308 hours. As of just an hour ago, my widget was not updating.

This is exactly how mine has preformed since I stated using the widget. Works for about 1 hour then it stops updating. Opening the app then going back to desktop it works again for a time. Atrix 4G, was running stock Gingerbread (unrooted), now running custom ICS (rooted). Both did the same thing.
Edited by Jasla on 3/19/2012 7:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
The refresh icon was an intended change. Once an authenticator widget has been created, press the refresh icon to get an authenticator code. This change was made to reduce battery consumption.
Edited by Wilebosk on 3/21/2012 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
doh I dont want a longer lasting battery can you guys make it an option instead? As stands the widget is now just screen clutter. I want to be able to see the code instantly not have to wait for it. If I was concerned with battery life I would have just used the app and killed it after I grabbed the code. There is little difference between an app that I can open with one tap and a widget that gives me the same info that I have to tap to get the code.
Reply Quote
97 Human Mage
And battery life is why I don't use the widget. Ever. There's already enough stuff running on my phone, something else running every 30 seconds is something I don't want.
Reply Quote
MVP
03/19/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Raimondas
And battery life is why I don't use the widget. Ever. There's already enough stuff running on my phone, something else running every 30 seconds is something I don't want.

Good point, though I don't see why it can't hurt to have the option, as Henean suggested.
Reply Quote
97 Human Mage
Oh yes, options are good, and I'm glad the widget exists, for those people who feel the need to have it. Just don't tell anybody I raised a good point. They'll never believe it. :)
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
The suggestion for widget options has been noted. Thanks for the feedback!
Edited by Wilebosk on 3/21/2012 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]