Beginner Mage PvP Guide - 4.3

(Locked)

90 Human Mage
Oh goodness. I did half of what you suggested (due to me never farming gold, I'm a lazy bastard) and I have a rather nice burst increase! Thanks :D

Also, I'm usually rather careful about the guards, but either some idiot pulls them and I get aggro when they die OR I get trigger happy with that instant FFB and the dot pulls em in. bur
90 Orc Mage
Can we confirm/change the stat priority for fire mages?

Most sites (including Noxxic) say Haste > Crit. Most top fire mages on ArenaJunkies have reforged for Haste. Gotwarcraft seeems to agree with you though. There are just so many disagreements that it is hard to know for sure.
85 Undead Mage
The only issue is most fire mages do reforge to crit, especially in rbgs.

Haste is a playstyle choice, not a necessity.

Also, noxxic is a horrible mage resource. Haste may be good for pve but stat priorities are very different in pvp.
Edited by Xiun on 6/11/2012 8:59 AM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
This may or may not sound like a noobish question, but I was wondering why, for Arcane, you would have Mastery over Crit. From what I've seen, we don't spend a lot of time near full mana unless it's at the very, very beginning of an encounter, and that makes the Mastery pretty useless.

Edit: I can see where it'd be helpful if you're starting out and trying to get the healer down asap, but I'm not generally having problems with being focused (Random BG's currently) and am running low on mana quite often, with Mage Armor up.
Edited by Pelë on 6/12/2012 12:11 PM PDT
85 Undead Mage
Mastery would result in more damage and more burst, crit or not AB hits hard, you don't need it to crit.
90 Gnome Mage
Alright.. thanks for that, then. Another thing I was wondering is, would it be worth it more to get Insignia of the Corrupted Mind or Cunning of the Cruel as Arcane?
85 Undead Mage
Insignia probably, you want to remain as unnoticed as possible.

Cunning might not be a terrible choice though it you're going to do rbgs (then it's impossible to be unnoticed).
90 Gnome Mage
Alright. Thanks, again

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, how much Haste is good before it's better to switch to Mastery?
Edited by Pelë on 6/12/2012 8:35 PM PDT
Working up my first mage since BC, and this guide is fantastic. Really appreciate the effort put into it.

One question. Obviously the 2/8/31 is ideal, and impact provides a very useful interrupt, but could a 9/0/32 be viable? I haven't seen much talk at all about invocation on the forums outside of arcane spec, but it seems pretty useful. A 10% increase potentially twice a minute seems useful, especially since CS is often followed by an attempted burst. Just curious why it isn't used--or do the benefits of impact just outweigh it?
85 Undead Mage
Edit: While I'm thinking about it, how much Haste is good before it's better to switch to Mastery?

Sorry for missing this question, you edited it so I never came back to check.

In pvp gear, you only really have the ilvl to go for one stat, so unless you wore full pve gear you should just stack a bunch of haste.

Working up my first mage since BC, and this guide is fantastic. Really appreciate the effort put into it.

One question. Obviously the 2/8/31 is ideal, and impact provides a very useful interrupt, but could a 9/0/32 be viable? I haven't seen much talk at all about invocation on the forums outside of arcane spec, but it seems pretty useful. A 10% increase potentially twice a minute seems useful, especially since CS is often followed by an attempted burst. Just curious why it isn't used--or do the benefits of impact just outweigh it?

Impact benefits just outweigh it, and sadly, about 50% of the time a mage will just use a blanket CS to stop heals, and the interrupt could happen when you can't get a burst or after your burst happened.

Impact is useful in every situation and can pretty much chain stop someone from casting or moving if RNG favors you.

Blazing speed also isn't half bad.
Thank you for the reply. I figured improved blink and blazing speed were on par. Just was hoping invocation could hold up to impact--I've always hated being at the whim of a RNG.

I might still try it to see if I can be competitive with it--but I'll probably end up switching to standard at some point. Thanks for the advice!
Edited by Emheire on 6/19/2012 5:11 AM PDT
85 Gnome Mage
Thank you for the great guide, Xiun.

It helped me a lot.
Thank you Xiun, awesum guide
90 Gnome Mage
This guide helped me hit 1550 in 2s with a disc priest :D
Hey Xiun. You might have answered this before, and I should know by now, but:

Which debuffs do I want to Remove Curse? (as opposed to the onces that aren't worth spending the GCD).

:-P

edit - question #2. your arena 1/2/3 thing on your new mouse. is that /target arena1 etc? So you don't @focus? or is it /cast [@arena1] ?

I am trying to decide what is faster. I use @focus macros, which are very fast, but in 3s, there is always one opponent i cant cast at without switching targets.

How exactly do you use your new mouse and arena123 thing?
Edited by Dishmayhem on 6/21/2012 12:51 PM PDT
85 Orc Shaman
Which debuffs do I want to Remove Curse? (as opposed to the onces that aren't worth spending the GCD).

hex is a top priority. besides that theres not much else...

but you essentially want to use every GCD for something. last night xiun and i were doing 2's and i was los'ing a lock so while i was losing i started dispelling the BoA and CoTE that the lock had up.

Not really necessary in most cases but since i had absolutely nothing else to do, might as well do something.
90 Gnome Mage
06/21/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
hex is a top priority

You can remove curse a hex?? o.o
85 Undead Mage

You can remove curse a hex?? o.o

Unless you are hexed or CC'd. no one should ever sit in a hex on your team.

edit - question #2. your arena 1/2/3 thing on your new mouse. is that /target arena1 etc? So you don't @focus? or is it /cast [@arena1] ?

I am trying to decide what is faster. I use @focus macros, which are very fast, but in 3s, there is always one opponent i cant cast at without switching targets.

How exactly do you use your new mouse and arena123 thing?

/cast [@arena1] Polymorph

Then replace 1 with 2 and 3.

I use the buttons on the side of my naga to sheep 1-3 and CS 1-3. I use focus macros as well.
90 Gnome Mage
06/21/2012 10:17 PMPosted by Xiun
Unless you are hexed or CC'd. no one should ever sit in a hex on your team.

Oh ok, I can't unhex myself. Gotcha. I've never tried to remove curse it off someone before though.

Also, I have Rathrak, the Poisonous Mind. Should I use that over my 397 dagger, or does the corruption dot from it remove my freezes? It would put out more dps I believe...
85 Undead Mage
For frost and arenas i would stick with your T1.

If you're going to do rbgs as fire though, swap out to rathrak.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]