"I already have a job."

85 Draenei Shaman
12/21/2011 03:56 PMPosted by Jessifer
Not to toot the Mists of Pandaria horn too hard, but I think our general zone design, daily, and scenario approach is pretty solid. Part of what makes dailies a bit tedious, aside from being tedious, is the rewards are desired but may not always quite fit the time investment. I see quite a bit of that being solved and making sure if you're logging in to do some dailies or scenarios, you feel like you made a good chunk of progress toward advancing your character.

Given that Blizzard posters have made exceedingly similar statements about every major daily hub from IQD onwards, and that these have all turned out to have the same basic failings, you'll forgive me if I take that note with a pinch of salt.

Are you suggesting that IoQD was bad, because if anything, that might have been one of the most enjoyable, social features this game has ever had.

TB dailies are obnoxious, and the whole "open more based on a win" thing is just as bad (same with WG.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I took over a year break from WoW. I came back about a month ago.

Before I took the break, I was treating it like a job. I had to farm so much ore a day for my JC, had to do dailies, had to do this, as in HAD TO, no choice.

Now that I'm back, I view the game different. If I feel like doing dailies, I do them, if not, I skip them. Especially the Fireland dallies, eck. 150 tokens to open more daillies, not once but twice? No thanks.

I've been doing archeology, hunting rare spawns, fishing, visiting old dungeons. Basically, I log in and do what I FEEL like doing, not what Bliz wants to MAKE me do.

I don't like that shoulder or head enchants are tied to daily quest grinding. If I do every quest in a zone, I should be exalted with that faction, period. Therazine rep was sooooooo boring, but I had no choice for the enchant.

If they want to make you farm rep, it should be by choice for mounts, pets etc. Not for something necessary to play.

Eh, like I said, I just log in and do what I feel like doing. Unless I have absolutely no choice, like rep for enchants.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
ITT: I pay to play this game for fun! Give me everything I want right now! QQ
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/22/2011 07:28 AMPosted by Squidbilly

You're whats wrong with this game. No serious poster says that, nor did the majority of this thread.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock

It's not going to be a revolution or anything, don't get me wrong, but I think it'll at least feel better. No one likes being the guy on the assembly line putting the left index finger on the doll 250 times a day, 5 days a week. They might not mind it as much though if they're paid $100k a year. Right?

So you're raising minimum wage? I think we deserve more! Time to bring back http://wow.joystiq.com/tag/occupy-greg-street/

*slowly sneaks out after inciting riot*
Reply Quote
91 Undead Rogue
12/22/2011 07:28 AMPosted by Squidbilly

No one is asking for anything to be given to them. They are just pointing out that dailies aren't fun in of themselves. There has been quite a lot of positive and helpful feedback in this thread.

Why do you troll like this? It isn't funny or original and doesn't add anything to the conversation. Is it just to bait me into responding? If so, good job!

OP: Valid point
Troll: MEME LOL!
Everyone else: <sigh>
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/21/2011 02:10 PMPosted by Quirpfex
Subjective? Find me a person who enjoys doing dailies.

Uhmmm, Raises hand!
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Thats why i have try to quit wow like 3 times... at the end I always return, this time is perfect with LFR, before we had to follow a raiding schedule, it was driving me crazy, Day Job, girlfriend, studies and late nigth, the other job (WoW) 7-8 months away and here I am again, like Halanna doing what I like. Hope to be on WoW til Diablo comes out. (Soon I hope)

Greetings, Merry Christmas happy new year :)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

Dailies and grinding. You want X, you have to perform Y dailies for Z period of time. You grind rep and gold and then you get what you want. This is what I explained.

"But that's just like a job. I already have a job. When can we do something fun?"

Uh huh...

Brilliant game design.

I feel your pain my dude. I've never liked the "daily quest" game design. The Molten Front dailies had some pretty entertaining mechanics, but, after I had done them once or twice, it began to feel very, very, grindy. But, thats kinda the plight of an MMO isn't it. I don't have any suggestions for a similar, but better mechanic at this point, but if I think of something, I'll be sure to post.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The problem is that thus far, dailies are one of the few ways Blizzard can produce content that isn't over and done with in a heartbeat.

Remember that epic questchain with Thrall at the release of Firelands? It had voice-over dialogue, there was lore, we were going to all sorts of different places....

And it was over in about an hour, after which people were thinking "That was fun! What's next?"

People talk about how great games like Skyrim are, without taking into account that Skyrim's content took years to develop, and that the game just came out. Once you put 100+ hours and clear every dungeon and do every quest, what next? Like any other Bethesda game, you're waiting on the next dlc pack, which you'll probably burn through in an afternoon.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Hate of the grind comes down to little more than despising people who have more free time available to them than others. Every time Blizzard puts in something you can do at your own pace, the first people to complain about how long it takes always reference someone who has more time than them, whether it's minutes in an hour, hours in a day, days in a week, weeks in a month, or months in year. Doesn't matter that Blizzard made it so you could guaranteed accomplish it at your rate of availability to play, someone else is getting it first and you're jealous and "it isn't fair".

And the richest people in WoW spend the least amount of time acquiring their wealth by the way, they play the AH in 15 min chunks where they have a free chunk of time to log in, check auctions, repost auctions, and buy stuff for resale, and now they can even do it from their phone if they so choose. Yet idiots would rather spend that 15 minutes whining on the forums about how they don't have time to go mining and herbing or dislike doing repetitive dailies. Heaven forbid you learn how to play the AH yourself and spend that 15 minutes making thousands of gold each time instead of crying at Blizzard about how unfair and hard it is.

All of you whiners are like a damned episode of The Hills, and you thoroughly disgust me.
Reply Quote
What Blizzard needs to do is to provide incentive to leave major cities again. You can essentially go anywhere in the whole world without leaving a capital city. Dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, auctions and professions, and various other things you can do without actually moving your character. That's not a great incentive in a world where the magic of exploration and mystery is a central theme. If players had to 'discover' the real locations of Battleground, Raid and Dungeon instances before being able to queue for them then that might resolve a bit of the issue. Re-scattering some of the NPCs like profession trainers and certain quest NPCs would help as well. Perhaps even allocate class trainers around the world where only certain spells can be learned from certain trainers.

Part of the magic of the classic WoW was that you had to hunt for things. Today, you can run a search on WoWhead for any quest or NPC (keep in mind that I'm not blaming WoWhead and WoW databases for the problem) without any in-game hunting at all. The ingame map quest highlighter is also worth of mention here, as is the function that illuminates, with the most obnoxious of sparkles, the quest items you are looking for. No 'risk' is involved and thus no reward. Too many things are handed to you with no work involved. Your time spent in the game, aside from gear acquisition, doesn't feel as rewarding as it used to.

For me, to help alleviate some of these issues, I choose not to run WoWhead searches unless absolutely necessary and I also choose not to use the ingame quest-helper. I read the quest and search for the locations and requirements myself, without having the map highlighter dumb it down for me. These may seem like miniscule points, but sometimes it's the little things that matter. The exploration factor in the world has been partially eliminated in an attempt to make the game more new-player friendly. There's nothing wrong with making a game user-friendly, but to abolish fun factor along with it is a mistake of drawing the line, and I think that's what Blizzard has somewhat unintentionally done. There's no incentive to go out in the world anymore and meet players.

Ofcourse, this is not just a mechanics problem on Blizzard's part. It's a social issue, too. It is in large also a fault of the community's degradation of societial pleasantries. Running into other players should be fun, not a nuisance.

I'm not cynical, by the way. I'm a die-hard day one player, and these are just a few things that have been on my mind.
Edited by Vesania on 12/22/2011 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Edited by Claylemian on 8/31/2013 9:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
12/21/2011 02:03 PMPosted by Simplyred
That's what gravitates me to PvP. Fighting live people adds a kind of randomness that NPCs can't give.

For Sure!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
The only dailies I really liked were the BC ones on Quel danis. It was all nice and right there and could be done in an hour or so depending on how many others were there. With all future dailies (not counting the cooking/fishing ones bc+) had you going all over the darn place which just burned me out as the time spent didn't equal in my eye the return investment.

IoQD was a sectioned daily that unlocked in parts as time went on, which wasn't that big of a deal, but the concept for the FL ones sucked, esp for mediocre rewards.

Reply Quote
78 Dwarf Warrior
Dailies are terrible. There should be "daily dungeons" where you get X amount of gold from doing them (not the crappy amount we have now) and you should be able to make income off raiding and PvP.

I can see how this makes sense but it would have to fit into the game. Such as to make an income at PvP you could claim to be a solider. But I'd put something in like it doesnt pay out till after10 or 20 matches each day. Thus you have to actually put in the time and be that soldier to get paid for it. Though I’m sure people would cry like children they actually have to play the game to make an income.

For PvE you do make an income. If you fail raid you dont, if you have success in 5mans you can make money. If you spend time wiping you lose money. You shouldn't make an income for dieing over and over, thats just silly.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I don't do daily quests because I hate them. I find them boring, and repetitive (which they are), and I'd rather do something else. I don't consider them a job because I don't have to do them.

There is one exception, and that is the JC daily, and ONLY if i happen to remember it. There is pretty much nothing you could offer in a daily that would make me say "oh boy! I gotta do THAT!"

Unless of course you are talking about a drake mount with the infinite dragonflight skin.

Even then, if it takes more than 2 weeks forget it.

There is nothing wrong with the system as is.
Edited by Caprïca on 12/22/2011 8:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock

No one forces you to do dailies. Anyone saying that Blizzard FORCES you to do dailies is delusional and taking the game way too seriously. nor are dailies required to be good at ANYTHING. Even with the FL dailies, I didn't do them on several toons and was able to successfully raid FL without any daily gear. That doesn't sound like a requirement.

And if you want a certain reward, like a shiny new mount or cool transmog gear, guess what! You have to earn them. You have to do things to get things. The better the thing, the harder/longer it takes. If you weren't doing dailies, you'd have to go do a massive quest line. You will always have to work harder for better rewards. the alternative to dailies is still more "work" in your definition.

So do what you enjoy. It's a game. Pretend that it's designed for you to have fun in!
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
yea the problem with most sets of dailies and certainly in this case as it was in wrath the dailies that everyone had to grind for weeks or months to get certain things were all wiped out when new heroics came along with better gear. suddenly those months of grinding amounted to pretty much a waste of time to get gear that was suddenly easy to replace. This is a point i haven't seen here yet.
Edited by Hendal on 12/22/2011 9:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)