"I already have a job."

85 Troll Druid

There is nothing wrong with the system as is.

If there is nothing wrong with the system as is, why are they losing so many subscribers? And why is one of the reasons to check off on the Account Cancel page (one I just visited) "I hate dailies."?

Maybe because they know the system sucks, that dailies are just a way to keep you logging in, and people don't want the game to feel like a job.

I love the job word. It's the new "it word" for WoW to use when you despise having to put effort into obtaining something, because otherwise you'd have to face the naked truth that you're asking the game to be trivialized to the point of being a hamster pushing a lever for a pellet.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
12/22/2011 09:08 AMPosted by Hendal
yea the problem with most sets of dailies and certainly in this case as it was in wrath the dailies that everyone had to grind for weeks or months to get certain things were all wiped out when new heroics came along with better gear. suddenly those months of grinding amounted to pretty much a waste of time to get gear that was suddenly easy to replace. This is a point i haven't seen here yet. If i missed someone else posting it well i agree.

Video games, and MMOs being at the top of this particular pile, are time sinks. What do you want, some kind of honorary abbreviation at the end of your name and preferential parking at the mall for doing dailies for a tier of content?
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
yea the problem with most sets of dailies and certainly in this case as it was in wrath the dailies that everyone had to grind for weeks or months to get certain things were all wiped out when new heroics came along with better gear. suddenly those months of grinding amounted to pretty much a waste of time to get gear that was suddenly easy to replace. This is a point i haven't seen here yet. If i missed someone else posting it well i agree.

Video games, and MMOs being at the top of this particular pile, are time sinks. What do you want, some kind of honorary abbreviation at the end of your name and preferential parking at the mall for doing dailies for a tier of content?

completely missed my point as usual of most blizz players. don't want preference was just making a point as to why some of us are sick of dailies. Learn to read and you may be less of an !@#-hat on the forums.
and it's not like i haven't done grinds on my main and alts. i prefer the LFR to gear up over the dailies now and that has made the game much more fun but the dailies tend to feel like a drag after a while. hard to keep having fun when you are feeling bored. thankfully blizz has taken some steps to help that but after spending a month or so working on dailies to upgrade gear. then a patch comes along and you have all new gear in days from a few new dungeons. i know blizz is trying to drag out the experience but that is just how it feels after a bit. a drag.
Edited by Hendal on 12/22/2011 9:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I feel like the dailies for 4.2 were not really necessary to compete with everyone, except maybe in that patch. I wouldn't know, because I got bored with molten front pretty early and stopped doing it. My DK has the initial vendor unlocked, but that's it...never made it to the next phase with him. (I think.) yet, I didn't suffer this patch... Gear is good enough for the heroics, which is what I like to do. So I do that.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I hate dailies too....I really wish there was a way to change it up and make the whole process more tolerable. I HATED the Molten Front.....though maybe it was partially because I did it freakin 5 times on different characters (I have given up doing it on the 6th for now). Maybe I would not have hated it if I could do it once and unlock stuff for all my toons.

Anyway, I would like to see the return of the weekly raid like we had back in Wrath.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
I don't like the way dailies function either but I can get over it. The thing that frustrates me to no end though is when a certain faction has only a single or maybe 2 or 3 dailies to farm rep IE. Ramkahen. I've been logging in since Cata release and I've been fairly diligent in doing my 2 dailies in Uldum but I'm still no where near exalted. I don't run dungeons much so I don't get much rep that way. Other than that I don't mind dailies just give us more for certain factions.
And in response to the post above me, I agree dailies are made all the more irritating when you grind a lot of alts.
Edited by Nephilym on 12/22/2011 9:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
The molten front dailies only take 35 - 45 minutes. Tol Barad dailies only take about 30 minutes, with the winning TB dailies only 20. Maxing out your 25 daily quests each day only takes, if doing the above plus your choice of extras, only takes an hour and a half to two hours, maximum. Doesn't sound like a job to me. Yes, they can get dull, day after day after day. But if that is the case, take a break and do the ones in deepholm. Or, do a dungeon or two instead. It is not necessary to do them all every day. Maybe back when they were new, yeah. But now? The item rewards and such aren't as useful or powerful. If doing it for the achievements or mounts, well, you brought the grind upon yourself. Blizzard won't just hand them out to you.

And anyways, if it is like a job, I'd pick doing dailies eight hours a day over a lot of jobs. Maybe not the one I have now, but case in point: WoW is more fun than most menial jobs. Stop whining and give me a legitimate complaint.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I found that the "Champion" tabards really helped me with this feeling. I used to feel like, damn this is a second job. But once we could use those tabards, I was able to find a bit of a balance between dungeon grinding and daily quest grinding. I didn't feel like I was forced to do either everyday to still get to where I wanted to relatively quick. The LFG tool helps with that too. As a tank I am able to simply pick one or the other. As a DPS I was able to decide what dailies (or cleaning) I wanted to do that day, and do them while queued up.

Create your own balance. If you feel like this stuff is a job, maybe you should rethink why you are doing it. Games should be fun. Find something fun, skip a day of dailies. Install Diablo 2, show Mephisto whos really the lord of hatred, then go back. You'll like the game more when you pace yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
The only dailies I really have done are ones that give rep points to advance one of my toon's professions. Or rep points to gain some rep gear. Or maybe the JC dailies for my Jewelcrafter for tokens. Other than that I don't have the time to do everything endlessly. And I'm one of those types that isn't concerned with having the biggest stuff one can get. But - I will never complain about it either because it's a choice on wether you want to log in and complete the daily quests that day or not. It took me 6 months to complete a daily one time. The NPC waited a looooong time for that one.

Dailies are a sufficient way to get rep with a faction, or a secondary way to make some gold for your toon if your something isn't selling on the AH very well (or whatnot). It is simply just a matter of motivation to do them, and possibly time. There are days - just like in RL when we don't feel like going to work that day. So maybe I just don't do those dailies, it's not like the end of the world or anything. At least in a computer game you don't get fired for chosing to not wanting to preform that daily task that day.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
the thing that gets me is people have been resistant to dailies since BC with ogrila and skywing, what i want to know is what ever happened to grinded factions like timbermaw or the nagrand ogres?

I think if blizzard wants to have these solo pve achievements for people they need to diversify the quest pool. Rare spawns that actually spawn not these dream drops like TLPD or the new cata version, grindable reps with some specific drops to the region like twilight people had in silithus pre bc, then a few huge daily hubs like 1 maybe 2 per expansion like argent tournament was or sunwell, finally add a couple of the random 1-2 quest a day factions that are easy and convenient to complete like oracles/frenzyheart. I havent done much dailies in cataclysm but I can be honest when i say from what I saw in cata blizzard has removed a lot of good boe world drops and different grinding types in favor of a pure daily system which most people frankly do not enjoy.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
LOL at the Elitist nerd rage. If you have over 10k achievement points its very clear you dont have a job or mind blowing large amounts of time. I really wish Blizzard would have rated servers or something for the elitist douchbags to hang out on so they can bicker, fight, belittle, grind and hard mode raid all they want with people just like themselves. Just make it play time specific or something call them "Casual servers" or something... for working people with families and friends (real ones)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The way I see it, different activities in this game tend to reward different skill sets.

Some reward fast reflexes and the ability to memorize predictable events (PvE encounters)

Some reward fast reflexes, understanding the capabilities of all classes, and thinking ahead of an opponent (PvP)

Some reward pure persistence (most quests, and dailies). Some reward a skill with the economy (evidence the game's millionaires).

All the above is presented at a variety of difficulty levels. Pretty much something for everyone.

If theres part of the game you don't like, I'm sure you can avoid that and still find more than enough to occupy yourself.
Reply Quote

Wrong. Absolutely wrong. I would GLADLY take a challenging, rewarding, fun job if it paid $50k over a job that was boring, monotonous and long that paid $100k. If money were the means to an end, yes, I'd probably take it, but my quality of life would be horrible. A game isn't about an end reward; it's about getting TO an end reward. You don't play Oblivion just so you can see Talos turn into a dragon and nuke Mehrunes Dagon, and then end up getting the imperial dragon armor. You play it for the challenge presented from the first mudcrab you kill to dodging a legion of cultists. You don't eat a sandwich for the bread, you eat it for the meat, the stuff between.

Much like Classic WoW. Classic was flawed in that it took -TOO- long to get to a point where you could raid effectively. Quests were EVERYWHERE, though, and many of them not only challenging, but could potentially reward you with raid gear. Daily quests remove the challenge aspect. I want my quests to be original and long... you know, like the word 'quest' implies in it's simple, pure meaning. I want to know what's so wrong about having one quest chain that takes a month to complete vs. a daily quest chain like Argent Tournament or Molten Front, which take a month ANYWAY. The way I see it, the long quest chain idea grasps the idea the LFD tool had when it was changed to 7x per week instead of 1x per day. You move at your own pace, and you don't have to log on everyday to complete it in a month.

I want my quests to be long because of the challenge, not because of the artificial timeframe placed on it arbitrarily. Cut the dailies out. They're not fun.
the
"END" reward would be retirement and you would be able to achieve that in a faster time if I'm making twice as much as you are.

If that's what you work for, then fine, that's what you want. I would rather work 30 years in a job I enjoy than 15 years with a job I find tedious and mind-numbing, even if I did retire quicker. The end result of retirement is so much more fulfilling this way. If retirement is all you can see while working, then you are lazy and incompetent, since you don't want to work at all. Your armory, according to your achievements since you decided to tinfoil hat yourself, is proof of this.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
If you don't find it fun... what would be fun?

It's one thing to say you're not interested in doing something in particular, but it really doesn't give anyone any clear direction as to what you'd like to be doing.

Its not that dailies are not fun for the first few days, but it often takes 20-30 days of them to make them worth doing in the first place. For those of us who play the game on a daily basis, this kind of content gets worn out incredibly fast. When you add in stuff like the Molten Front where a good portion of players saw the rewards as requirements for alts (and sometimes mains) to gear up to be able to do Firelands this is where the line between success and failure lies.

You ask for an answer to "what would be fun?". Its not about "infinite content" as Bashiok said. Its about a variety of content. Its not about implementing new content every week or two, its about creating varying avenues in order to advance your character. I will be blunt. I was going to flat out quit WoW and go back to older MMOs that offered this before the announcement of PvE Scenarios at Blizzcon. They provide the first step towards varied content in a game that used to have a lot to do, but has since streamlined itself into a Dungeon & Raids & Dailies game.

But this is a first step, it can not be the final step. Sure we are getting Pet Battles, but that is still only just another step. We need at least one more method of progression. Let it be "spawned" world bosses (no one likes camping and no one likes to be griefed by others while trying to work.) Or something like a PvE Arena, we need more and varied ways of progression.

The streamlined focus to get everyone in raids is fine, but its only ok if we have other methods of advancement besides the same exact thing every tier.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Shaman
If retirement is all you can see while working, then you are lazy and incompetent,

Wow...
Reply Quote
As far as I know all mmo's have professions, and dailies are a great way to earn gold without needing to have a profession. It's an economy, if you don't like it, don't do it.
But I happen to enjoy earning gold from my professions, and playing the auctionhouse, and I know a lot of other people like it too. It would be awfully boring if we couldn't shop the ah for that fun pet, or go do a few dalies when we have nothing else to do.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Grinding is an inherent part of a MMORPG. There is less than there was, but there will always be some.

If you don't like grinding, you don't like MMORPGs.

IMO, the only way to have a decent MMORPG without grinding would be a game which allows a ton of player created content. There are barriers to creating that sort of game, but IMO that is the next "revolutionary" step in MMORPG design.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/22/2011 09:09 AMPosted by Zakadu
I love the job word. It's the new "it word" for WoW to use when you despise having to put effort into obtaining something, because otherwise you'd have to face the naked truth that you're asking the game to be trivialized to the point of being a hamster pushing a lever for a pellet.

You mean a skinner box? WoW's always fit that classification.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
12/21/2011 03:37 PMPosted by Bashiok
Part of what makes dailies a bit tedious, aside from being tedious, is the rewards are desired but may not always quite fit the time investment. I

This is true. My Resto Shaman got literally nothing good out of the Firelands dailies. A pair of boots with no spirit and a trinket with a mastery proc were about all she could use (she already outgeared rings/ect) and that would have only been for her offspec that I don't play. More thought into the rewards please!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]