"I already have a job."

87 Human Mage
Here's a thought on how to make dailies feel less repetitve, grindy and boring.

There are MANY daily areas in the game that are no longer used; from "mainstream" ones like Isle of Quel'Danas, the Argent Tournament and Wintergrasp, to others that saw much less use (Ogri'la, Skettis, Venture Bay, the ones in Twilight Highlands, Ebon Hold, the Scryers/Aldor ones in Shadowmoon Valley, etc). Some of those are awesome, and full of daily quests that very few players ever got to do. That's kind of a waste of content... when at the same time, many players (myself included) complain about feeling forced to do the same quests every day.

What Blizz could do is take all of those daily subzones and bump their quests to the new level cap (90 in MOP). I'm not even talking about revamping them, just adjusting enemy levels and perhaps changing a mechanic or two if it feels too outdated. Then, there could be a daily quest (you dawg, I heard you liked dailies...) where an NPC would teleport you to one of those zones, randomly chosen every day, and you would complete a number of dailies in there (it would be kinda like daily dungeons used to work before Dungeon Finder), with a nice reward in the end (like Valor Points, for instance). Even better if different players get teleported to different zones, so that there wouldn't be crazy competition for quest objectives.

Ta-da. Dailies are now much less repetitive, you get to see a different scenery every day, and there's less people competing for the same quest mobs and objectives. And as an added bonus, a lot of content that has been developed for the game but is no longer used, or was never really used in the first place, suddenly becomes relevant.
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Warrior
12/21/2011 03:37 PMPosted by Bashiok
And furthermore, what would be a better design for this type of structure?

Infinite content.

It's easy to design a better system than dailies, pump out infinite amounts of content, it's just not feasible to pull off. Some people want to spend more time in the game than others, maybe even every day, and we want to make sure they have something to do. While we'd love for that to be fresh and unique content every time, it's simply not feasible. Thus, dailies. Give people something to do each time they log in (if they choose to do so every day).

Not to toot the Mists of Pandaria horn too hard, but I think our general zone design, daily, and scenario approach is pretty solid. Part of what makes dailies a bit tedious, aside from being tedious, is the rewards are desired but may not always quite fit the time investment. I see quite a bit of that being solved and making sure if you're logging in to do some dailies or scenarios, you feel like you made a good chunk of progress toward advancing your character.

What about Diablo style Random Dungeons scalable to the level and number of players who enter them, perhaps even scalable for how big a dungeon the player wants to enjoy or options for dungeon style (Long Hallway vs. Maze)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
[quote="37904091211"][quote]

Subjective? Find me a person who enjoys doing dailies.

<---------

I enjoy dailies. I play WoW to reduce stress from my real job. With dailies, I get to kill a bunch of virtual monsters, and because they are dailies I don't have to think to hard about what to do or how to do it. Wham. 45 minutes of stress reduction. And I get some gold out of the deal as well.
Just because YOU don't like one particular aspect of the game, don't assume that everyone else in the world hates the same thing.
Reply Quote
12/21/2011 02:08 PMPosted by Therealgor
Dailies are terrible. There should be "daily dungeons" where you get X amount of gold from doing them (not the crappy amount we have now) and you should be able to make income off raiding and PvP.

Income from performing activities... you mean like a job?
so ... your saying buy gold with income from said job?

but yeah... it would be nice if blizzard stopped trying to put in gold sinks, and actually provided better ways to get gold other than repetitive boring quests that become worthless the moment the next patch hits....(heck... the next hotfix in some cases)

I miss back when looting a BG pvp kill gave a gold.. or more... (depending on if others had helped, if people were around when it was looted.. and if it was WG or not) it provided a nice boost other than straight honor per kill.

and.. lol... with the dailies.. xD still havent fixed the dogs only give copper bug... gotta love when a GM says 'it is being looked into' .... and then months later 'it is being looked into' ... they need to visit an eye doctor
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
How about dungeons that scale, but are 'infinitely' challenging? Bosses and mobs keep falling from the roof, you get rewards comparable to how long you are able to survive or how far you are able to get in the 'challenge'. Hell, just make them random 5 man bosses that are buffed depending on how far into the 'challenge' they are dropped.

There is so much room for variety in this game, yet all we get are the same tired ideas on the same stale formulas.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Another idea, without changing the content or risking major bugging with random-layout dungeons, is simply to have random tasks. As an example, there can be a list of tasks for PvE (generally dungeoning,) PvP (focused on battlegrounds or doing PvP-like world events, such as "kill x number of PvP-flagged enemy targets in Y location") and professions (incentives to learn and improve them, or calls to make some number of a random item the player can make.)

Then you'd get one for each list; you could do one, and it'd net some considerable gold and a rep token you could use to improve a reputation with one or two factions based on where you used it. (For example, if these tokens gave 1200 rep, it might split 450 tauren, 450 orcs, 300 trolls in the Barrens, or 150 Hydraxian Waterlords, 1050 Cenarion Circle in Silithus.)

Some examples:
PvE:
"Into the Unknown, With the Unknown" While not in a group, queue for a Random Dungeon and complete it.
"Answering the Call" Queue for a Random Dungeon while at least one role has the Call to Arms bonus, and complete it.
"Old World Reinforcements" Complete X specified "low level" dungeons.
"Assisting Our Allies" Complete X number of repeatable or daily quests for Y faction (needn't be contemporary.)
"Merely a Setback" Kill Kael'thas in Tempest Keep or Magister's Terrace!
"Thrice the Setback" Kill Keleseth in Utgarde Keep, Valanar in Naxxanar, and Taldaram in Ahn'kahet - or all three together in Icecrown!

PvP:
"Call to Arms!" Queue for the Call to Arms battleground and win while doing at least X combined damage and healing.
"Anywhere, Any Time" Queue for a Random battleground and win while doing at least X combined damage and healing.
"The Task at Hand" Complete at least 3 different battleground tasks (that is, objective contributions, not just racking up damage and healing numbers) and win.
"Behind Enemy Lines" Kill at least 15 members of the enemy faction in X region. Player and PvP-marked non-player targets count toward this total.
"Black Gryphon Down" (85 only!!) Kill an enemy Flight Master. You may want to call for backup.
"In the Fields of Glory" Complete X World PvP objective. (For example, it could be Tol Barad, Wintergrasp, or one of the Outland objectives such as Auchindoun, Halaa, or Zangarmarsh --- or, for real bonus points, winning the Silithus gathering race, which totally still exists...)

Professions:
"Expand Your Mind" (For those that have an empty profession slot or two, or are missing secondary skills) Attain Expert rank in a profession or secondary skill. Professions or skills currently at or above 75 skill rating do not count.
"Supply the Army" (For those that have a Crafting profession) The army needs skilled crafters! Create 5 of X item and help the cause!
"Dark Iron Artisan" Create one item while standing within 8 yards of the Black Anvil!
"Mithril Chef Azeroth" Complete the cooking and fishing daily quests in Dalaran, Shattrath, and any capital city of your faction.
"I See You Farming" (For those that have a Gathering profession) The army needs supplies! Gather 4 full stacks of X item! For the Faction!
"Deep Delver" Gather at least Y of X nodes from within dungeons! (Where X is possible for at least one dungeon; for example, cobalt in Utgarde Keep, or the mad herbalism that goes on in TK-Botanica.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What i think is sad about dailies, is that after all this time there really aren't many that are there as something to do for fun if you're bored and log into WoW looking for something to do. Most fall into these mini-structures for a reputation or tradeskill grind such that you feel like you have to do them every day to complete the grind, then afterwards never want to do them again. A quest available off the Capital Cities' Hero's Call board that says to go to X zone and kill some stuff for Y gold and some current tradeskill materials might be nice. Something that if you miss a day, you don't mind, but if you want something to do for a few minutes, it's there. Scenarios will probably help fill this role, just seems a shame we haven't had something like that all along.
Edited by Tirina on 12/22/2011 3:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Simply put

the dailies we have been given aren't fun

What about Gnomobliteration Why isn't that a daily. I would happily do that every single day. For more fun add in a timed score count run, try and beat your last high score for number of Gnomes run over for better rewards.

In fact why aren't there dailies that work like that.

Instead of Go Kill 10 of those guys make it,

You have 20 minutes to kill as many of those guys as you can, If you kill at least 10 of them and come back alive and I'll give you 5 gold. Your best result to date was 45. If you beat that I'll give you an extra 10 gold and a bag of crafting goodies.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
I think the design of the Molten Front was abysmal, but I don't really have a problem with dailies in general.

The problem with the Molten Front is this: It should have been designed in such a way that as you unlock new zones, the quests in the new zones are progressively more difficult and therefore grant more marks of the world tree and gold. That way you wouldn't have to do 20 dailies every morning, you could just do 5 and they'd count for the same amount as the previous 20 would have.

I think a lot of people might actually have considered finishing the Molten Front and seeing it through until the end if they didn't get so burned (lol) out on having to do the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over Andover, MA, all the time day after day after day after day after day. The problem for me wasn't that I didn't want to do my quests, it was that I didn't want to repeat the first 15 and go through the entire story of the zone all over again. I've already been there and done that, I want to focus on what's current. They didn't let us do that with Molten Front and a lot of people just stopped doing it entirely because they hated it. Myself included.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Maybe having weekly dungeon or BG "goals". If you meet those goals for the week, you make X amount of gold. You could do it on different levels, Raids, normals, heroics for pve. BG's, arenas, Rated BG's for the pvpers. Different monetary values for the difficulty.
Edited by Hammerlord on 12/22/2011 4:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
12/21/2011 02:14 PMPosted by Okuu
You are always free to refrain from doing things you do not enjoy, especially when your leisure time is involved. I suppose you're also free to complain about those things you do not enjoy, though I am hard pressed to see the point of doing that.

Goblin Death Knights are a silly idea
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
What about Gnomobliteration Why isn't that a daily. I would happily do that every single day. For more fun add in a timed score count run, try and beat your last high score for number of Gnomes run over for better rewards.
In fact why aren't there dailies that work like that.
Instead of Go Kill 10 of those guys make it,
You have 20 minutes to kill as many of those guys as you can, If you kill at least 10 of them and come back alive and I'll give you 5 gold. Your best result to date was 45. If you beat that I'll give you an extra 10 gold and a bag of crafting goodies.

I'm not joking, that is a fantastic idea man <thumbs up>
Reply Quote
1 Troll Mage
Infinite content.

It's easy to design a better system than dailies, pump out infinite amounts of content, it's just not feasible to pull off. Some people want to spend more time in the game than others, maybe even every day, and we want to make sure they have something to do. While we'd love for that to be fresh and unique content every time, it's simply not feasible. Thus, dailies. Give people something to do each time they log in (if they choose to do so every day).

Not to toot the Mists of Pandaria horn too hard, but I think our general zone design, daily, and scenario approach is pretty solid. Part of what makes dailies a bit tedious, aside from being tedious, is the rewards are desired but may not always quite fit the time investment. I see quite a bit of that being solved and making sure if you're logging in to do some dailies or scenarios, you feel like you made a good chunk of progress toward advancing your character.

Are you seriously suggesting that daily quests are somehow the pinnacle of MMO design for keeping players occupied, and anything short of having "infinite content/resources" would funnel into having daily quests.

I don't think you'd agree with that, so saying Daily quests are fine as is (just need better rewards) is downright (I remember a blue said they hated this word but w/e) lazy.

"The Task at Hand" Complete at least 3 different battleground tasks (that is, objective contributions, not just racking up damage and healing numbers) and win.
"Behind Enemy Lines" Kill at least 15 members of the enemy faction in X region. Player and PvP-marked non-player targets count toward this total.
"Black Gryphon Down" (85 only!!) Kill an enemy Flight Master. You may want to call for backup.

I'd wager that a decent proportion of the playerbases response to this will either be to ignore it, or do what they do whenever someone wants a Halaa pvp token mount...
Edited by Pewpewmage on 12/22/2011 5:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't do dailies cause i hate them... But honestly to me dailies are for rep... But so are tabards so I don't see the problem. I do know players who love dailies so they do them. I personally do not, so I don't do them.. Simple really.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Warrior
you can always play chess(or starcraft 2), but you will lose if you don't put time and effort into it
Reply Quote
1 Troll Mage
12/22/2011 05:15 PMPosted by Sêv
you feel like you made a good chunk of progress toward advancing your character.

Why? A lot of people that need that don't get better, so the only thing you can do is make the game easier, thus creating the illusion of progression. And once you're doing that your basically in psychological pyramid scheme territory, it can only go on for so long. Eventually, before you know it, even casuals are complaining this game is too ez (see the end of wrath).

Finally, giving Dailies "better" rewards is just another amazing way to burn raiders out of the game. Having to get a Moonwell chalice for my demo lock almost made me quit the game right there and then, a few months after getting back into it. (still bis until duel roic ds trinkets lul)
Edited by Pewpewmage on 12/22/2011 5:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I Dont do daily's anymore actually. I do a lot of raids and battle grounds on all my other toons instead of the same quests everyday...
Reply Quote
58 Worgen Death Knight
12/22/2011 02:18 PMPosted by Solvin

Doing dailies every day shouldn't mean I want to do the same quests on 5 toons to get patterns for different professions. There are plenty of reasons more hardcore players might want to do dailies on more than one toon such as reputation items. But, like getting the shoulder enchants were, doing dailies for patterns on multiple toons, is brain numbing.
Edited by Bigbadwolfy on 12/22/2011 9:12 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]