"I already have a job."

73 Worgen Warrior
People who don't have the time to devote to play a MMORPG then they have no business playing one.

It should be an understood that a MMO is a time sink, that's like watching BET and then complaining to the network there aren't enough white folk.

If you don't like devoting the time the game demands, don't play.

Blizzard has bent over backwards more than any other company to streamline their game then any company and you all STILL complain; that's why you don't try to please children, because you never can.
Edited by Niddy on 12/21/2011 5:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
Dailies and grinding are not only optional, but they don't even give you anything in the long run. Molten Front? Completely obsolete unless you need a 365 to boost your ilvl so you can get into HoT and get a 378.

There's no gamebreaking reason to do dailies. It's not going to prevent you from getting top-level gear, and it's not like you have to do them to get to 85. If you don't like them, don't do them. The worst that's going to happen is that you won't get a mount.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
If you don't find it fun... what would be fun?

It's one thing to say you're not interested in doing something in particular, but it really doesn't give anyone any clear direction as to what you'd like to be doing.

I'd kind of like a selection of dungeons with random layouts, kind of like an old Everquest setup called the "Lost Dungeons of Norrath."

1. Randomize them as much as possible so that the dungeons don't feel as stale as quickly. (Hey, Gauntlet did it 20 years ago!)
2. Give players gold for completing them that is equal to perhaps five dailies (about 50G).
3. When a player completes them, they count as 5 dailies.
4. Allow all mob kills to work with any tabard so that players can grind the faction they wish, but ensure that the amount of rep possible for a full clear is equal to what the player would have gotten from doing five dailies.
5. Instead of armor drops, allow the mobs to drop tradeskill stuff (ore, herbs, etc.) that is only visible to the players who have a given tradeskill.

That, to me, would be greatly preferable to doing dailies. However, you could easily mix and match so that you could queue for the random dungeons while working on tradeskills or other dailies. It wouldn't involve huge amounts of time wasted in transit, it would reward roughly the same things, it would work with the existing system of dailies, and would give players who prefer to do dungeons an alternative.

You could provide a PVP variant, especially as MOP brings back world PVP.
Edited by Happosai on 12/21/2011 5:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

If you're not getting any fun or entertainment out of the game, don't play the game.

Also, everything is subjective.

Because I definitely said something about not getting any enjoyment out of the game.

Subjective? Find me a person who enjoys doing dailies.

*raises hand*

I find dailies enjoyable most of the time if the goal is something I'm looking forward to getting. Anyone who does dailies and hates doing them... well... why are you doing them?

I do dailies I find fun and do them often even after the goal is reached.

Dailies that aren't as much fun, but have greater goal? I'll get to the goal, then stop doing them.

It really is that simple folks.

Despite what people harp on, doing dailies is not the only way to make gold in this game.
Reply Quote
92 Pandaren Warrior
There was a time when plain old daily quests were an awesome way to kill time and further your winnage in the game, but... it's been a while since that held true. While the insistent lifeblood of the Mamorpuguh genre is grinding your soul away to level things up, it seems like Blizzard has been taking steps to give options to players to inch away from that principle.

And yet we still have dailies. >:I
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
i think people put way to much stock in the isle of quel'danas daily quest hub

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
12/21/2011 05:17 PMPosted by Goblínkíng
i think people put way to much stock in the isle of quel'danas daily quest hub

That's a seriously messy hub, though. Most of the quests are easy to access, but then you get the Sunfury Plans up in Netherstorm, the Mana Cells over in Blade's Edge, snuffing out the fire bubbles in Nagrand...wooh. SO much time wasted flying all over TOC to get a little extra rep. Yuck.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I consider WoW more like a hobby than a job, the more time (and money in most other hobbies) you put into it the better you will progress in your hobby.

I collect Zippo lighters. I have put in a lot of time and money in my collection, looking on eBay, going to garage/estate sales, looking in antique stores. My collection isn't the best, but it is better than a lot of folks who can't put in the time and money into theirs. Same with WoW, my toons aren't the best, they don't have all the pets/mounts/transmog gear, but they do pretty good because I put my time/gold into those areas.
Reply Quote
75 Orc Death Knight
Dailies and grinding. You want X, you have to perform Y dailies for Z period of time. You grind rep and gold and then you get what you want. This is what I explained.

"But that's just like a job. I already have a job. When can we do something fun?"

Uh huh...

Brilliant game design.
The great things with dailies is...you don't have to do them. People were getting exalted with factions in the first week of cata. This is the least grindy mmo on the market. And if you don't like doing things over and over, an mmo isn't the game for you. But the "I already haz a jawb". Excuse is just and exaggeration. Gear is fed to you right now. You actually have to turn it away. So no. It isn't a grind. At all.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
To prevent dailies from feeling like work, I set a goal for myself when I start doing the same thing every day. Make them more into projects.

• Anzu: Still farming for Anzu, but I don't really need to do anything in Outland afterward.
• Tol'Barad: Only going to do those until I'm exalted and I'm going to skip the ones I don't like in the mean time.
• Argent Tournament: Quick and great way to get heirloom gear while saving Justice Points. I'll stop when I get whatever heirlooms I need and finish getting those last two pets.

Gold is pretty meaningless to me outside of transmogrification and reforging/enchanting new gear (which I don't get much). I make everything I need to repair in the Dungeon Finder.

Try out some different dailies or set yourself to stop once you've accomplished something. The World of Warcraft is your oyster and you can find all kinds of pearls inside. When I'm done with my set goals, I'll probably start getting random achievements or work on an alt. I've been meaning to make a priest, maybe I'll check out what the Horde has for quests.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Rogue
You guys keep saying that daily quest are optional. They really are not. Think about it. I cant count how many times I have seen in these forums or in game people saying. "You need to grind dailies for the gear you need." And the purposely make faction rep come up short of exalted. In 4 years I don't think I have ever hit exalted without grinding some sort of daily to get there. Dailies are optional is a flat out lie.

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Infinite content.

It's easy to design a better system than dailies, pump out infinite amounts of content, it's just not feasible to pull off. Some people want to spend more time in the game than others, maybe even every day, and we want to make sure they have something to do. While we'd love for that to be fresh and unique content every time, it's simply not feasible. Thus, dailies. Give people something to do each time they log in (if they choose to do so every day).

That seems so sad to me. I don't see how it's better to give people quantity over quality though. Would it be so bad if dailies were actually fun for a few weeks and then they "ran out of something to do"?

I took a break from wow mid-cataclysm and when I came back I decided I was only going to do things I actually found fun, and try to minimize playing just for the reward if I didn't truly enjoy the things I had to do to get it.

I found that I "ran out" of things to do quite quickly.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
12/21/2011 05:35 PMPosted by Dalarius
You guys keep saying that daily quest are optional. They really are not. Think about it. I cant count how many times I have seen in these forums or in game people saying. "You need to grind dailies for the gear you need." And the purposely make faction rep come up short of exalted. In 4 years I don't think I have ever hit exalted without grinding some sort of daily to get there. Dailies are optional is a flat out lie.
they make tabards. easy rep grind. no, dailies arent really required. if you want a mount or some cool pet from the molton front, go for it. but they offer absolutely nothing that's required. head enchants, BOA. shoulder enchant? get a tabard. want a camel? get a tabard.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I personally enjoy doing dailies so long as there is a reward at the end of the grinding.

At the end of Molten Front I got a mount and the ability to obtain all of the pets; that makes me happy.

The Argent Tournament Grounds there are so many pets, mounts, reputation, etc, etc, that you can get.

Tol Barad has reputation, items, pets, mounts and whatnot that you can obtain at the end.

If it was just endless grinding for no reward, then I would do something else, but you have to look at the positive of it, and see if there's a reward worth grinding for. If there isn't, then you can find something else to set your sights on.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Rogue
they make tabards. easy rep grind. no, dailies arent really required. if you want a mount or some cool pet from the molton front, go for it. but they offer absolutely nothing that's required. head enchants, BOA. shoulder enchant? get a tabard. want a camel? get a tabard.

16 seconds ago

You are still doing dailies and they are required to get just about anything you want in this game. Getting a tabard doesn't change that.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
12/21/2011 04:00 PMPosted by Bashiok
Given that Blizzard posters have made exceedingly similar statements about every major daily hub from IQD onwards, and that these have all turned out to have the same basic failings, you'll forgive me if I take that note with a pinch of salt.

It's not going to be a revolution or anything, don't get me wrong, but I think it'll at least feel better. No one likes being the guy on the assembly line putting the left index finger on the doll 250 times a day, 5 days a week. They might not mind it as much though if they're paid $100k a year. Right?

As long as we don't have another molten front. That was the worst I think I have ever seen dailies get in this game. It wasn't that they were difficult, it was the obnoxious amount of time required to complete the grind combined with the fact that it wasn't even a progressing story, you just repeated everything from every "phase" every day. MMO's are pretty much based around various grinds, but this was just unpleasant.

I'd much rather have another Isle of Quel'danas then another Molten Front, IQD wasn't amazing either but at least the thought of doing it on a second toon didn't make me want to vomit..
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
How about plain old questing? More, better, longer, harder quest chains that are for level 85's to do. Instead of dailies over and over. God I did Molten Front on two toons and part way on 3 more and I have not been ablet to play WoW since. Switched to Rift!

We need endgame content that is not only dungeons. Yes, you all at Blizz love your pug dungeons but frankly I think they stink. Being forced to run around with a bunch of idiot kids who just can't decide who to kick this time is just not for me. You hate the cookie cutter build mentality but force everyone to do it. Dungeons are set up for 5 specific roles and woe to the player who dosen't want to play that way. It's a set up to fail if your not a cookie cutter.

We need dynamic area content that just happens in a zone. Big battles that work like a raid with whoever happens to be there or wants to come. If you build it we will come! Quest chains that are stories and involve more than kill, collect, and protect aspects. Quest chains that offer rewards worth having.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
12/21/2011 02:04 PMPosted by Catnose
Doesn't take more than 2 hours at most. If you can't find that time in your time off, well, I don't know what to tell you.

I know you have probably been playing for a long time, but if you would just take a step back and realize how much you can accomplish elsewhere in 2 hours, you would realize that 2 hours is a frickin long time to be grinding dailies.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Finding these comments on mmo champion, I felt the need to share an article on game design that is entirely relevant to this subject.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Perhaps someone has already linked it, however I am not going to read through every post to check that.

This article describes the current trends in video game programing that mimic the whole Skinner box concept, except that the players are the rats. Its a really funny read and has some hilarious/horrifying insights. Anyways, the daily system shows exactly what this article is talking about, and I believe that its even discussed in the article.

Read up guys, its a fun one.

And general advice, just play the game for the fun of it, I haven't done a daily in a long time now unless I actually wanted to do the quest itself. Dailies and repeated content are boring, just don't do em if you dont like em. Heck, just get a new game if you dont like what you are doing in WoW, nothing is binding you here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]