"I already have a job."

90 Troll Rogue
12/21/2011 05:18 PMPosted by Happosai
i think people put way to much stock in the isle of quel'danas daily quest hub

That's a seriously messy hub, though. Most of the quests are easy to access, but then you get the Sunfury Plans up in Netherstorm, the Mana Cells over in Blade's Edge, snuffing out the fire bubbles in Nagrand...wooh. SO much time wasted flying all over TOC to get a little extra rep. Yuck.

yes but it was all because of some "fake world pvp" that got it all hyped up.. blizzard did more daily quest hubs, just the major ones, like argent tourny, and molten front lack the "world pvp" everyone expects.. or a small % want..
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Why is the only argument I ever see from these supports of repetition "lol lazy scrubs just want to be handed everything" or some such tripe.

The process of obtaining the reward in a game one plays for fun should be just as rewarding as the reward itself.

I agree. Its not about wanting everything to be handed to us, if its a matter of time. I just want the time that I am spending to get there to be fun, something this game has been lacking as of late.

For example! Why did I repeat the same taking over the firelands quests like 30 times? I gain some ground, then the next day I no longer have those gained grounds? Wtf?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
then quit one of them or stop complaining.

btw their "brilliant design" has managed to get your monthly fee so how's it feel?

Umad bro? He was saying he didn't like the dailies type grind. He didn't say he didn't find any of the game enjoyable.

Now go take some hormone balancing pills.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
they make tabards. easy rep grind. no, dailies arent really required. if you want a mount or some cool pet from the molton front, go for it. but they offer absolutely nothing that's required. head enchants, BOA. shoulder enchant? get a tabard. want a camel? get a tabard.

16 seconds ago

You are still doing dailies and they are required to get just about anything you want in this game. Getting a tabard doesn't change that.

Really.. they are only required if an individual makes them as required. But not "just about anything you want to do in the game" requires dailies. Molten Front isn't required to progress (sure some epics may help get you into more groups faster, but it's not required). Tol Barad isn't required (to get into the raid your faction just has to control it). The rest of the non-raid Cataclysm reps can be done with tabards from friendly for cata content.

PS- the only daily I'm doing on this shaman is the jewelcrafting Orgrimmar daily... I don't need any of the other dailies.
Edited by Quintzaker on 12/21/2011 6:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
How is "grinding" considered "fun"? The concept is lazy and old, a take over from EQ. The attitude that you must grind to have a lousy item is not very original and makes WoW feel even more stale and linear.
Reply Quote
I like dailies just fine as long as the quests themselves are fun. The Molten Front was one of the most fun experiences I've had all expansion. The rewards were just gravy because I enjoyed the journey.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Dailies and grinding. You want X, you have to perform Y dailies for Z period of time. You grind rep and gold and then you get what you want. This is what I explained.

"But that's just like a job. I already have a job. When can we do something fun?"

Uh huh...

Brilliant game design.

I want to beat Final Fantasy.

But in order to do that i have to spend X time doing Y thing to get Z result.

Welcome to everything in life, do you need a map? I hope not because they don't make maps.

Considering how poorly the FF series is doing as a whole, this analogy is probably not the best you could have used. FF games are dying for the very reason people are complaining in here. Linear boring grinding.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I have a question. Why did it take you a 18 months to figure this out? Some of your oldest achieves are from July 2010.

Everyone has a breaking point.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Rogue

You are still doing dailies and they are required to get just about anything you want in this game. Getting a tabard doesn't change that.

Really.. they are only required if an individual makes them as required. But not "just about anything you want to do in the game" requires dailies. Molten Front isn't required to progress (sure some epics may help get you into more groups faster, but it's not required). Tol Barad isn't required (to get into the raid your faction just has to control it). The rest of the non-raid Cataclysm reps can be done with tabards from friendly for cata content.

PS- the only daily I'm doing on this shaman is the jewelcrafting Orgrimmar daily... I don't need any of the other dailies.

Hey when you put your tabbard on what comes next? Maybe a daily dungeon ....
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Given that Blizzard posters have made exceedingly similar statements about every major daily hub from IQD onwards, and that these have all turned out to have the same basic failings, you'll forgive me if I take that note with a pinch of salt.

It's not going to be a revolution or anything, don't get me wrong, but I think it'll at least feel better. No one likes being the guy on the assembly line putting the left index finger on the doll 250 times a day, 5 days a week. They might not mind it as much though if they're paid $100k a year. Right?

Actually, no. Studies show that increasing rewards for people doing menial tasks decreases their reported feelings of fulfillment.
Edited by Ryrok on 12/21/2011 6:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
12/21/2011 03:10 PMPosted by Gossamer
Welcome to life. You do things to get things. If you hate the thing you need to do more than you like the thing you get, don't do it. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else you are expecting.

Let me help you take a step back for a moment. The game is not life, it is an item in life. It used to be an item in life that I enjoyed thoroughly. It was the reward I received for working for cash, and buying a computer, and paying for internet. Through your logic, it was the thing I obtained after doing things to get it.

What you are saying then, is that I really actually need to do things, to get something that makes me do things to get something. So the fun starts when? The reward is given when?

Dailies are simply not fun. And this is not my life, it used to be a fun hobby that I could perform on my down time, not a second job, that reaps no real life benefit.

Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Honestly the dailies in Molten Front were not very impressive or fun. The regrowing spire was epic once. After the 20th time of taking it down it didnt seem very epic. I mean what was i doing? Running Rags assembly line of spires dry? Woohoo thats so fun!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/21/2011 06:12 PMPosted by Mephology
Considering how poorly the FF series is doing as a whole, this analogy is probably not the best you could have used. FF games are dying for the very reason people are complaining in here. Linear boring grinding.

But there was always linear grinding in FF. By your logic, the series should never have been successful in the first place, but it was.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Statement: Dailies aren't fun? Then don't do them. They're not required!
Answer: They are required if I want to collect things that I find fun and that bring me joy.

Statement: Work for the things you want, then. Stop complaining!
Answer: I would love to. I loved working for things in BC with repeatable quests and mob-grinds/dungeon grinds for rep. What I don't like is that Blizzard places the artificial "daily" barrier to my progression. I'd like to progress at my own pace, meaning that if I want to sit down for nine hours to gain my reward, then let me.

If you let me spend x time to get y reward, but let me spend it when I want to, and not force me to log in every day for two months (or else lose/add time for missing days), I'd be a happy camper.

If I then say that "I have nothing fun to do because I've done it all/the other stuff is too hard", then we can either blame Blizz for a lack of content, or blame me for having no life (and playing nine hours every day) or for being a shallow gamer that wants everything handed to me. I just want the time commitment grind-design to be freed up and moved away from a model that includes artificial barriers. After all, who are you, besides the game designers trying to tell me what is "fun", to say that I can't go kill eight thousand ogres and turn in all of their eyeballs for rep, instead of just eight a day?
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Priest
I do my dailies about 2-3 times a week. That's really all that needs to be said.
Reply Quote
Do you know how you hook people in to an MMO? Get them to do the same thing over and over, just with different text, faces, scenes, people etc.. every single time. WoW went a step further and introduced achievements in to the mix, which basically encourages for people to want to do it in order to achieve something.

Welcome to the MMO world.

Your concerns now is no different from concerns in the past. There will be people who eventually feel that they are wasting their time playing WoW, glad you woke up. Go play something else instead of killing yourself playing something you don't enjoy. WoW owe's you NOTHING. And most importantly, you owe it nothing. Play this game for the enjoyment of it, where the enjoyment can stem from setting tasks for yourself such as collecting x amount of pets/mounts, achieving y amount of achievements, making z amount of gold etc...

However, you will eventually realize the same issue exists with every other MMO out there.

So choose your poison, or just stop playing MMO's completely if it is that draining for you.
Edited by Snazzle on 12/21/2011 6:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
12/21/2011 06:23 PMPosted by Kurnea

But there was always linear grinding in FF. By your logic, the series should never have been successful in the first place, but it was.

The game that made the FF series so famous in North America was FF7 which at the time was a monster of a game clocking in at 12 million to make. In that time it was alot of money and it was not linear like FF13 was. Infact since FF10 the sales fell rapidly, specially when they introduced Charlies Angels, er...i mean FF10-2. FF7 had plenty of hidden places to find and weapons to collect.

The arguement you are using lacks ground.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/21/2011 06:27 PMPosted by Mephology
The game that made the FF series so famous in North America was FF7 which at the time was a monster of a game clocking in at 12 million to make. In that time it was alot of money and it was not linear like FF13 was

It was just as grindy as any other Final Fantasy game, and just like those before it, you had to follow linear set points through most of the game up until you get the Highwind. There was occasionally something off-track you could find, but at no point was Final Fantasy ever touting non-linearity akin to something like a Fallout game, and real choices in what to do or where to go didn't present themself till near end-game. Any idea of linearity before getting an airship was largely an illlusion.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
The game that made the FF series so famous in North America was FF7 which at the time was a monster of a game clocking in at 12 million to make. In that time it was alot of money and it was not linear like FF13 was

It was just as grindy as any other Final Fantasy game, and just like those before it, you had to follow linear set points through most of the game up until you get the Highwind. There was occasionally something off-track you could find, but at no point was Final Fantasy ever touting non-linearity akin to something like a Fallout game, and real choices in what to do or where to go didn't present themself till near end-game. Any idea of linearity before getting an airship was largely an illlusion.

Not always true. You COULD stick to the linear quest to quest to quest and beat the game in 30 hours missing key characters, pieces of equipment and materia specially ones such as Knights of the Round. Sure you could show up doing the bare bones linear run but when you add more characters that you didn't have to grab such as Yuffie or Vincent the story changed slightly to allow for them. In WoW there's nothing of the sort. Its straight A-B, same experience everyone else had.

Want to know a truly non-linear game? Skyrim. Best example.
Edited by Mephology on 12/21/2011 6:47 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]