There are things that will break Fear.
* Faction Insignia — All classes can break Fear (and most other crowd control) once using Insignia of the Alliance or Insignia of the Horde.
* Glimmering Mithril Insignia — Blacksmith Trinket grants 30 seconds of fear immunity up to level 60. This is on a 20 minute cooldown, so use it wisely.
(greater list below)
Racial Traits or Class Abilities
* Forsaken — Forsaken has a racial trait Will of the Forsaken (WotF) which breaks fear.
* Stormwind Humans — Humans have a racial trait Every Man for Himself (EMfH) which breaks fear.
* Blood Elves — Blood Elves may stop a fear if it isn’t instant cast via Arcane Torrent.
* Pandaren -- Pandaren may stop a non-instant cast fear via Quaking Palm.
* Tauren — Tauren may stop a fear if it isn’t instant cast via War Stomp.
* Night Elves — Night Elves may stop a non-instant cast fear with Shadowmeld, which removes them from combat.
* Death Knight — Death Knights can become immune to fear by using Anti-Magic Shell. This needs to be done before the Fear is cast. Death Knights may also break and become immune to Fear (but not Turn Evil) by speccing into Lichborne. The Ghoul stun (if Unholy), Strangulate/Asphyxiate, or Death Grip may stop a non-instant cast Fear. Speccing Desecrated Gound will break and prevent Fear. Ghouls are immune to Fear.
* Hunter — Beast Mastery spec'd pets may become immune to fear with Bestial Wrath (must be done before fear is cast). They may also stop a non-instant cast fear with Counter Shot, Scatter Shot, Ice Trap. or Intimidation. Feigning Death will make Fear not hit the Hunter.
* Mage — Mages may use Ice Block to break fear once and stop a non-instant fear with Counterspell or with Greater Invisibility (which instantly removes you from combat).
* Monk - Monks may stop a non-instant cast fear with Leg Sweep, Spear Hand Strike, or Paralysis. They may break fear with Nimble Brew (Windwalker or Brewmaster only) and may have the subsequent effects reduced by 60% for 6 seconds. Windwalkers can use Fists of Fury to stop a non-instant Fear. There is a prevention tool in Ring of Peace, which prevents Fear so long as the caster is in the area of the ring.
* Paladin — Paladins may use Divine Shield to break fear once. They can stop a non-instant cast fear with Hammer of Justice and Repentance. Protection Paladins can use Avenger's Shield to silence the Warlock and prevent a Fear. Paladins can use Rebuke to prevent a non-instant cast Fear.
* Priest — Priests can use Fear Ward, which absorbs one 'charge' of Fear. Priests can also stop a non-instant fear with Silence, Psychic Horror, or with Psychic Scream.
* Rogue — Rogues can gain immunity from fear by using Cloak of Shadows (CloS). This must be done before Fear is cast. Rogues can Kick, blind, or stun (i.e. Gouge) to stop a non-instant Fear. Smoke Bomb can also stop a fear, acting as a personal line of sight.
* Shaman — Shamans may use Tremor Totem (before Fear) which can dispel fear or use Grounding Totem (before Fear is cast) which can absorb fear. Wind Shear can stop a non-instant cast Fear.
* Warlock — Warlocks with the Imp may use Singe Magic to dispel fear on themselves. They may also break Fear if specced into Unbound Will. They can also use the Felhunter's Spell Lock, a Felguard's Axe Toss, the Warlock's Mortal Coil, Howl of Terror, or Shadowfury, or Demonology's Carrion Swarm to stop a non-instant cast Fear. Grimoire of Service will allow a non-instant Fear to be stopped since it immediately does a Spell Lock, Axe Toss, or Seduce if you summon the correct minion.
* Warrior — Warriors can break fear with Berserker Rage. They can also Pummel, Shield Bash, Shockwave, Disrupting Shout, Charge, or Storm Bolt to stop a non-instant cast Fear or use Spell Reflect. Arms Warriors may become immune to Fear by using Bladestorm.
*Druid — Skull Bash, Mighty Bash, Typhoon, and Solar Beam will stop a non-instant cast Fear.
* Holy or Discipline Priests may dispel fear on their teammates. Restoration Druids and Shaman can dispel fear from their teammates. Paladins may spec into Holy and dispel fear from their teammates. Mistweaver Monks may dispel fear from their teammates.
* A high shadow resistance can also stop fear, or cause it to break early. (This should not be the case anymore with resistances being removed from the game. This point is here for historical purposes)
* Taking damage greatly increases the chance fear would break early.
* As of Patch 2.2, all crowd control effects (with the exception of Sap) have a chance each second to break earlier. The chance increases with resistances and the level difference between the target and the caster.
*Fear can only be applied to one target at a time. Howl of Terror/Psychic Scream can be applied to up to five targets at a time but will only last for eight seconds. Those two area of effect abilities also come with a cool down on each spell to prevent it from being used again and again.
* Shadowfury, Mortal Coil, and Howl of Terror are on the same talent tier. You will never run into a Warlock that has all three talents. You can find a Warlock with Howl of Terror and Blood Fear, as they are on separate tiers.
* Psyfiend, Void Tendrils, and Dominate Mind are on the same tier in the Priest talent tree. You will never run into a Priest that has all three talents.
- Fear and seduce/mesmerize both count toward diminishing returns. All three spells are treated as Fear Effects under Diminishing Returns (see DR entry later on). We get a maximum of three total. In PvP, the maximum time fear/seduce can last is as follows:
First fear/seduce/mesmerize can last up to 8 seconds.
Second fear/seduce/mesmerize can last up to 4 seconds.
Third fear/seduce/mesmerize can last up to 2 seconds.
- After one seduce/mesmerize, this leaves a possible combination of two fears, one fear and a seduce/mesmerize or two more seduces/mesmerizes.
- Fear is a 1.7 second cast without interrupts. With melee interrupts, it can take upwards of 2 seconds to get off, if we get it off at all due to true interrupts and spell lockouts. Seduce/Mesmerize is a 1.7 second cast and is channeled. If the Succubus/Shivarra gets hit, seduce/mesmerize stops.
- fear and seduce/mesmerzie can both be resisted and this counts towards diminishing returns. Mortal Coil can be resisted as well.