Mining Bots are everywhere again

(Locked)

90 Undead Death Knight
More things said and less things done.
There are so many mining and herbalism bots that most people (myself included) no longer feel that profession is profitable or enjoyable in any way.

This also bleeds over into pvp, honor grinding has a large number of bots and no efficient way to report them.

The problem isn't the players botting anymore, its the fact that those activities are so unfun and painful that people will resort to botting in order to get them done.

Basically what I'm saying in regards to mining and herbalism, is that if it was fun to do, there would be a ton of player competition (If it even stays as a competitive model) and the bots wouldn't be a good use or time and not very profitable.
Botting assumes the system protects them and that regular players for the most part ignore that profession.
Edited by Laina on 12/30/2011 6:26 PM PST
90 Orc Warlock
I report bots and yet there still there farming for days. In my server you go to Uldum and you can find bots like crazy. Blizzard why can you just Ban them or suspend the accounts as we report them. Why wait to do something.
86 Draenei Mage
Much thanks for the response from Blizzard, very well put.

I certainly didn't intend to say that Blizzard isn't doing enough or needs a new approach. Keep doing what you're doing, and report the bots. I hadn't noticed many for quite some time and over the past few weeks saw prices in the AH alter and bots everywhere. If you see it on your server, hit the SS button and drop the ticket in with the names when you have time.

For those who said to just go mine somewhere else, I'm sorry you missed the point. The bots don't even keep me from getting what I want, its just annoying to see players cheating.

On my server, we're putting together a group this evening to honor farm. Thanks all.
90 Orc Warlock
I always report bots, But why do I have to report them. We don't get paid for doing it. Isn't that Blizzards job to keep an eye out on the servers.
90 Human Mage
I just think people need to stop seeing people who are really good at gathering and yelling "BOT!"

I have no doubt that the bots are out there, but not everybody is a bot.

People who are really good at gathering are not usually bots. Bots are pretty bad at it, actually. They're just incredibly persistent.

Not everybody is a bot, but I'll put up good money that the level 80 who's mining naked, on a slow white gryphon, with rez sickness, is a bot and on a compromised account to boot.
90 Human Mage
12/30/2011 06:30 PMPosted by Møbkillz
I report bots and yet there still there farming for days. In my server you go to Uldum and you can find bots like crazy. Blizzard why can you just Ban them or suspend the accounts as we report them. Why wait to do something.

12/30/2011 04:06 PMPosted by Nevalistis
We don't generally hit bots individually as we receive the reports because it doesn't ultimately solve the issue - they just acquire another account, either legitimately or illegitimately, and get back to botting. Instead, it's much more effective to study the bots, devise the method they are abusing, and break that method. In the process, we also construct ways of detecting the behavior, and create systems in which we can catch those bots and remove them much more quickly.
90 Orc Warlock
12/30/2011 06:40 PMPosted by Neverz

We don't generally hit bots individually as we receive the reports because it doesn't ultimately solve the issue - they just acquire another account, either legitimately or illegitimately, and get back to botting. Instead, it's much more effective to study the bots, devise the method they are abusing, and break that method. In the process, we also construct ways of detecting the behavior, and create systems in which we can catch those bots and remove them much more quickly.

Yeah and how long is that going to take.
90 Undead Death Knight
Its ok guys! You just have to wait about three days for that single bot to be gone!
If it was actually reported.
If it didn't pull wool over the moderators eyes.
If it didn't only get a temp ban.
If successfully lied that it wasn't using a bot.

Oh wait I think I'll just buy the ore off the AH. From the bot. Because its actually less painful then dealing with Blizzards atrocious moderation of their own games.
Forum moderation is great though guys, keep it up.
69 Orc Death Knight
12/30/2011 06:37 PMPosted by Møbkillz
I always report bots, But why do I have to report them. We don't get paid for doing it. Isn't that Blizzards job to keep an eye out on the servers.

Probably because nobody at Blizzard is specced for clairvoyance.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
12/30/2011 05:04 PMPosted by Layuth
Also, throwing lawsuits at a few bot making people or places YEARS after the fact is not really what I call doing a lot. Consider the number of lost subscriptions Blizzard has endured solely on the fact of "real" players leaving the game because of the botters. Hell, I could go to one particular website and got the names of quite a few bot making places and that would have taken no more than 2 minutes.

Whether the lawsuit takes 3 days or 3 years, most don't fight it out. As I said, at least 2 bots were shut down this year within weeks of lawsuit. Blizzard is a big company, sometimes the pressure is enough to back down a smaller company force that quite frankly doesn't have the assets to fight a 3 year lawsuit. These are far more effective then you realize. Yes some fight it out and drag it out, most don't. Remember lawyers are expensive, time and money is not a luxury people can afford going against a giant like blizzard.
Edited by Omegal on 12/30/2011 7:07 PM PST
90 Orc Warlock
I've seen a lvl 1 selling 316 stacks of Obsidium ore and I opened a ticket. Guess what they didn't do nothing. You can tell when its a bot in the AH. But they still don't care about it because they don't do nothing about it.
85 Gnome Priest
I have reported many bots over my time, usually i add them to my friend list so that i can see when they come back on and report them again if i find them while i'm out farming. Most of them do stop coming online within 2 weeks of me reporting them, however some of them stick around. Generally the ones that stick around are the ones that are used for both botting and normal play, such as running dungeons, raids, or arenas. On those occations maybe i'm wrong and it isn't a bot, but i can't see why anyone would fly around doing perfect degree turns instead of keyboard turning or turning with the right mouse button.

What really annoys me though is the fact that there's a player in my guild that very openly brags about his botting and openly bots his characters for honor and ore/herbs, and nothing get's done about it. He sells tons of ore to players within the guild and gives out inferno rubies as a currency for items. He literally gave me 20 inferno rubies one day for giving him LFR gear that i won. I'm pretty sure he botted to level his latest character to 85 and botted it's professions. He openly talked about his plans to bg bot that night, then i watched as he left mumble, and his character continued to do BG's on into the morning hours of the next day.

I would hate to see him lose his primary account, as he is a fellow guildy and a good raider, but he's cheating. Getting away with it just encourages more players to look into botting and start botting.
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/30/2011 07:08 PMPosted by Møbkillz
I've seen a lvl 1 selling 316 stacks of Obsidium ore and I opened a ticket. Guess what they didn't do nothing. You can tell when its a bot in the AH. But they still don't care about it because they don't do nothing about it.
So someone has a lvl 1 bank alt that they use to sell the ore they have mined? Also, since you are never told what action, if any, is taken against another players account, how would you know if anything was done or not?
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/30/2011 07:09 PMPosted by Trinkelfiz
What really annoys me though is the fact that there's a player in my guild that very openly brags about his botting and openly bots his characters for honor and ore/herbs, and nothing get's done about it
And, have you reported him? Has anyone else in your guild reported him? Also, just because he SAYS he's botting, doesn't mean its true. Much like people saying REPORTED in chat, that doesn't mean they have actually reported anyone or anything.
55 Gnome Death Knight
A bit off topic but what about the gold sellers advertising in chat channels.

From what I can tell this seems to be more of a problem on oceanic servers (as i've recently moved to one) compared with US servers. Every time I log on I have to deal with the constant spam from gold sellers but it wasn't an issue on my previous server.

I'm aware of the report feature but why are the servers not being policed?
90 Human Mage
12/30/2011 07:15 PMPosted by Flottley

Because you aren't reporting them?
85 Gnome Priest
12/30/2011 07:13 PMPosted by Flatspriest
And, have you reported him? Has anyone else in your guild reported him?

Several times over the past 2 months, the issue is i haven't actually been able to nail down his bot other than that one character that he temporarily botted on to level profs and do bg's to quickly gear up for alt runs.
69 Orc Death Knight
A bit off topic but what about the gold sellers advertising in chat channels.

From what I can tell this seems to be more of a problem on oceanic servers (as i've recently moved to one) compared with US servers. Every time I log on I have to deal with the constant spam from gold sellers but it wasn't an issue on my previous server.

250 servers. Two factions. Minimum of six overlapping shifts a week.

Hiring 3000 more Game Masters to do nothing but sit and watch trade is a brute force approach that'd cost millions, all so players don't have to right-click, report player.
90 Gnome Warlock
12/30/2011 07:08 PMPosted by Møbkillz

Congrats you reported someones bank alt!!! How does anything you just posted prove that it was a bot?!?
90 Orc Warlock
12/30/2011 07:10 PMPosted by Flatspriest
So someone has a lvl 1 bank alt that they use to sell the ore they have mined? Also, since you are never told what action, if any, is taken against another players account, how would you know if anything was done or not?

We don't know if something is being done because they don't tell us what happens or comes to a conclusion with the person we reported.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]