Unholy or Frost Presence?

85 Human Death Knight
I looked around and didn't find any threads on this specific issue for 4.3 (forgive me if I missed one). So I have been DPSing in Unholy Presence (frost spec DW spec) for a while now, as that is what every guide ever made pretty much says to do.

Today in trade, a DK was calling that fail and saying he does like 34k in frost presence. I currently have 387 ilvl and pull decent dps (between 23-25k) when I raid with the guild. I hang with everyone but would love to pwn them (who wouldn't?). Anyone using frost presence over unholy? All feedback appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
You will always get exceptions to the rule. Depending on which fight he pulls 34k that is either real nice or real bad. Overall, stacking haste to a point depending on gear, and using unholy presence will be the best. Masterfrost spec would give better numbers, but require near perfection in its execution, so its not for everybody.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I use frost pres, and seems to work fine.

frost pres - less procs, but you hit harder

unholy - moar procs, but you don't hit as hard.

Then again, procs are sort of random, so you could get less procs in unholy and more in frost. Who knows. I personally prefer frost presence.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
You use Unholy Presence for single-target DPS, period. Even Masterfrost uses Unholy Presence. Doing anything else just isn't mathematically viable.

The only use Frost Presence has is in true, lengthy AOE encounters. But there's virtually none of that in Dragon Soul and citing DPS numbers from AOE spam is rather misleading anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
As stated by nachtwind.

Sometimes I bust it out in pointless pvp just to see how high my numbers can go.

P cute.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
So I spent a little time at the training dummies. I stood behind the raiders' training dummy and gave each presence roughly a few minutes (a little longer for frost). On attempt one of each, the numbers were very close.

Unholy started out really hot just under 21k and maintained it decently. Procs seemed to happen less than frost presence for some reason. I would say I was around 20,600 for the majority of the encounter. Numbers started to fade down to about 20,200 and then they held, I called it at that point.

Frost started a little slower, around 19k and then steadily increased until I was about 20,900 and maintained very well, more stable than Unholy was. After a good few minutes, procs started happening less (still more than unholy, overall) and dps fell to about 20,200 at the end.

On the second attempt for each, Unholy dominated Frost. Both took a really long time to get going but Unholy held around 20,500. Frost took FOREVER to get to 16k.

RNG? lol
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
With Frost presence you're going to hit what I like to call a GCD cap. It's where all your abilities are up and ready, but you can't use them quickly enough to do the best damage possible. Unholy Presence fixes this.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
I looked around and didn't find any threads on this specific issue for 4.3 (forgive me if I missed one). So I have been DPSing in Unholy Presence (frost spec DW spec) for a while now, as that is what every guide ever made pretty much says to do.

Today in trade, a DK was calling that fail and saying he does like 34k in frost presence. I currently have 387 ilvl and pull decent dps (between 23-25k) when I raid with the guild. I hang with everyone but would love to pwn them (who wouldn't?). Anyone using frost presence over unholy? All feedback appreciated.

You know a liar.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
i have even tested this out on a Raider's Training Dummy with my current gear and the dps is very close between frost and unholy presence (about 21 to 22k dps during multiple trials). Unholy presence does seem to eliminate the GCD cap that hinders Frost presence at this current time.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Frost is fun in the hahaha look at those cute diseases doing cute damage sort of way or oooOooo big numbers big numbers.

But then you see that in just 2 frost gcds, you can do 3 up gcds, and you quickly realize that yeah, unholy is simply better. Aoes MAYBE, but even then its like....pfft PFFFFT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Unholy presence is better, frost takes way to long to use abilities its almost funny. once you go unholy presence you just cant go back
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
or roll unholy and always be in unholy presence
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
DW Frost is in Unholy Presence now? Since 4.3?

Is the damage difference significant?

yes.

My dps is about 33k on ultraxion with 397 weapons and 389 give or take ilvl gear.
Edited by Sebrawr on 1/15/2012 7:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
DW Frost is in Unholy Presence now? Since 4.3?

Is the damage difference significant?

I believe it's been since the start of Cata.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]