General Gripes

85 Human Warlock
Just some gripes about situations that have occurred, with the first one being the straw that brought me here. I may or may not be an idiot, but I'll be danged if I ever respond to someone calling me one with, "I think you might just be right!".

Firstly, If I'm only only pulling 10k DPS, maybe it's because I just hit 85 yesterday and am new to heroics. Maybe I'm not 'retarded', an 'idiot' or full of “FAIL”; maybe it's more about my gear kinda sucking to hell, which may be the reason that I'm there to begin with. Seriously, maybe you could spend less time thinking up insults and more time thinking 'probabilities' here.

My best guess is that your ridiculing may be a misguided effort to call attention to your own 30k+ dps, which is self-defeating because any kudos you'd get for it go by the wayside while others are occupied with speculating whether or not you have a touch of the Down's Syndrome yourself (or are just 10). Jabbing at people's DPS in instances is like making fun of overweight people while attending a Weight-Watchers meeting, and doing so while wearing a super-fantastic belt of slimming (which they give out for free on your 20th meeting). Some people just aren't there yet, but they're doing what they can to get there. Which makes them less “retarded” and more “doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing”.

So when the insults start flying, the group gets uncomfortable and suddenly what was supposed to be fun has turned sour for everyone. And of course it's awkward...so awkward. Hey sometimes confrontation is inevitable and it's not always pleasant, but to have it stem from someone who's actively avoiding all logic and reasoning in an effort to try and condescend others and/or show off their DPS? Well that's like being horribly disfigured with Leprosy and yelling at people to admire your awesome haircut. You end up just making others wish they could choke your neck a little.

A better way to call attention to your awesome DPS? Say nothing. The strong-silent type is the most awesome of all, IMO. I was in a 25-man raid just today, admiring a DPS who was almost 2 percentage points above the next top DPS and thinking to myself, “Wow...look at that guy go...very nice!”. When the raid ended, he announced that, “Wtf I'm stoned to hell and still 2 points above your guys' dps roflmao!!”, which instantly transformed him from great DPS'er to “Some attention whoring bastard”.

Or, on a somewhat related note, how about the DK tank who's dishing out 40k DPS while you're fumbling around with trying to get off two spells in a row? He's tearing through mobs so fast that you're constantly forced to play 'catch-up' and, oh crap, gotta loot something? Well it just put you that much further behind – you should have just left it. Run to catch up, hopefully cast a spell or two, rinse and repeat etc and find yourself grimacing when the healer's constant pleas for mana are intermittently punctuated with the tank announcing how he's doing almost twice as much damage as everyone else. “Pick it up dudez”.

Well how about you listen up, zippy: since you're the tank, you're going to be the first to every mob and the first to attack. Coupled with your fully gemmed raiding gear, and the fact that you're a frickin' DK, well that's a recipe for you to easily get the most DPS. Plus, you really seem to be striving for it, so yeah, we get it...your DPS is awesome. As well as cliché....I mean, you're a frickin' DK. What'd really be amazing is to see a DK who wasn't at the top of the DPS charts, ya know?

And to be honest, it's not that I dislike Dks....I just don't like playing WoW with them. At the beginning of a run, say “Hi all” and see who responds with “Sup” or “Yo”, it's almost an easier way to quickly identify your DK than mousing over names is. If WoW was a ski resort, Dks would be the snowboarding punk bastards.
Edited by Kalek on 12/31/2011 8:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Oop, a little more:

Micro-managing: “Yes I know to cast Mark of the Wild, you don't have to tell me, I mean we JUST got rezzed, can I have a chance to...yes I know to stand over there, I'm headed there now, how do you not see that? Yes, I'll cure the thing when it comes up, I cured it last time, it's not why we wiped...yeah well I'm sorry we wiped, I couldn't heal fast enough..I was trying, but...yeah, I'm aware that it's my job...oh okay, you can heal better with your Shaman, isn't that productive. No I won't kill myself, no YOUR Mom, no I won't shuttup, he started it...”

Sorry, I included that last part because of the uncomfortable situation I've found now that I'm playing a healer. When the tank is squishy as hell but you don't want to single him out and cite it as the reason you're having a hard time keeping the group up, so you end up wiping.

Then some mealy-mouthed party member (probably a DK) starts in on you about your lousy healing and things get awkward. They just won't let it go. Why won't he let it go? He just won't quit talking about the various ways in which I suck...wow. Just shuttup and consider other variables, like say...the tank's gear. Why don't you look at the tank's gear? LOOK AT HIS GEAR WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEE HIS HORRIBLE STUFF HE'S GOT LIKE 10 UNUSED GEM SLOTS - YOU SUNSABICHES THIS IS SO AWKWAARD OMG SOOOO AWWWKWWAAARRRRDD...oh okay I'm booted from group, I think I'll grab a Fresca.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Paging Agony Aunt.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
i think this belongs into the general discussion of wow and not here... i read the whole thing and i cant stop laughing cause this probably only happens to 1% of the entire wow population that does dungeons
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Worst thing you could have done is post this here. 95% of World of Warcraft players are mouth breathing degenerates, who value their arena rating more than their future life and job prospects.

EDIT: Oops, add heroic gear and raid progression to arena rating =]

Re-read your post, and I'll address it properly. Many of the "e-thugs" on Silvermoon (and on WoW in general), are generally sort of inadequate in real life (only reason that makes sense right? Why talk trash if you're a normal person?). Many of them live through the game, base their self-worth on every action within the game. Semi-anonymity allows them to do or say what ever they want, with essentially no repercussions. I'm yet to meet, hear of or encounter a rude elitist raider, or obnoxious circle jerking arena junkie who was a well-rounded person with a good social life, successful, healthy and happy.

I usually disregard most players for this reason - their perception of reality is so warped. They are so caught up in being in these little nerdy raiding and arena cliques, and showing other players how good they are at the game, or whining about how bad another player is, that they forget how to normally interact. Best advice is to roll with a crew of people with some semblance of normalcy, and not pug. Pvping is even worse - just browse our realm forum and take a look at all these scat slinging chumps crying about how bad "x" is, or how good "y" is at the game.

Hope this helps, and happy new year!
Edited by Phiegethon on 1/1/2012 1:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Tanks doing 40k damage while tearing through instances and griping about others' damage? Healers stuck trying to heal a lousy tank and getting grief for not healing well enough? People in group calling others 'retarded', etc?
It's not stuff that happens all the time, no, but c'mon...only happens to 1% of the population? C'mon now.
C'mon.

Anyway, were there any humor to be found in that post, it'd probably be in the 'things left unsaid' category. I mean, it's not like you'd ever hear a healer suddenly piping up with, "Hey guyz, so Mr. tank here has crappy gear and I don't know how to tell anyone that...so boy is this ever an awkward moment for me right now. LOL!"
or
"HEY is it just me or does the tank seem to be hurtling himself towards mobs at break-neck speed in order to satiate his desire to draw attention to his DPS via chastising our own? I don't know...just openly speculating!"
-Yeah watching a DK tank do 40k DPS while looking to have a 390+ gear score...what the hell is he doing in BRD? Yeah yeah, Justice points for honor points or something something, but there's got to be people who run dungeons once in awhile just to show off their DPS some. Maybe you just haven't thought of it before?

Anyway, I was hoping to hear other observations...but yeah, maybe this should be in general...it just kinda directed me here when I signed in =P

Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Haha awesome reply! Just...because I've got to agree with a lot of it.
Check this out...the other day I failed at finding an answer to a WoW question online, so I figured I'd just pop into general chat and ask.
Hooooly crap...I was just frickin' inundated with insults, one of which was repeated twice and got a bunch of roffle. Something having to do with my having bought my account on Ebay.

Now...just revel in the ridiculousness of that insult. It's a great insult that totally works....IF the person slinging it happens to live in the virtual world of Warcraft enough to think that everyone else does too. Someone who has their identities intertwined with their play-skill; someone a bit out of touch with reality, etc.
For the rest of us, it's just a game...something to do in between work and bedtime, kept on the hard-drive alongside other games that we play. Something to relax with during your leisure time.
As an aside: If I bought my account then...what's it to ya? I mean, really...so what? Why would buying my account on Ebay make me feel less-than? "Oh I suck! I could have been spending weeks and weeks trudging through quests but instead I whipped out $500 on a whim and spent 2 minutes on Ebay. I'm so inferior!" lol really??

Just was chuckling about it at the time...how using that particular insult merely serves to highlight the mentality of the insulter. You're right...they need to get off the keyboard and out into the real world a little. Having max-damage, or 10 leveled characters does not a man make. Poor bastards.

Nah, I don't mind at all that I kinda suck, and I don't mind sharing it 'cause I know there's plenty of adults out there who, while they might play better, can probably relate to the idiosyncrasies of playing with the misguided.

lol..see, now THAT'S good ol' fashioned condescension right there =D
Edited by Kalek on 1/1/2012 2:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Dear Agony Aunt:

I, too, have a gripe.

I expect people to act differently in W.o.W. because W.o.W. is a video game, and for that reason and that reason alone I expect people to stop acting like people.

6 years of disappointment.

Please fix.

Whining like a horse,
Princess Bucephallus.
Edited by Bucephallus on 1/1/2012 4:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Dear Agony Aunt:

I, too, have a gripe.

I expect people to act differently in W.o.W. because W.o.W. is a video game, and for that reason and that reason alone I expect people to stop acting like people.

Please fix.

Whining like a horse,
Princess Bucephallus.

Exhibit A.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Dear Agony Aunt:

I, too, have a gripe.

Please fix.

Whining like a horse,
Princess Bucephallus.

Exhibit A.

BRILLIANT!.. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Yokih9zUOyE/TTzxcVyuU7I/AAAAAAAAADA/DGf8YdIvZHw/s1600/Brilliant.png

i mean come on.. why u so mad over someone doing your work for u wtf? isnt that what the whole wow population has come to.. if u have someone to do your sht.. let them do it... and juz go along for the ride.. i always do 7 normal mode instances every week for some cloth farming.. cause of the JP and the free gold on the side..

i dont have ppl !@#$%ing over.. DUDE U NEED to slow down dps cause ur doing too much.. i actually get thanked for making their run fast.. thats y i said its like OK maybe not 1%.. but 10%? i think the tank is a dk.. LOL.. cause i tank normal dungeons on my pally and the healer most of the time isnt healing me.. and juz looting bodies for cloth.. cause i take little to no dmg.. so i would think the guy is a dk
Edited by Charmånder on 1/1/2012 6:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
It seems to have an issue with others' conduct and not their D.p.S..
Edited by Bucephallus on 1/1/2012 6:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
can you please teach me on how magnets work? i need to know..

ur like the guy on this pic http://9gag.com/gag/381359 learn to take it easy... not be pissed off over minor things in life.. like u say.. u play the game for fun.. so WHY U CARE???? OMG...
Edited by Charmånder on 1/1/2012 7:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
And to be honest, it's not that I dislike Dks....I just don't like playing WoW with them. At the beginning of a run, say “Hi all” and see who responds with “Sup” or “Yo”, it's almost an easier way to quickly identify your DK than mousing over names is.

Classist!

I don't like playing with people who get so upset about things in a game that they feel the need to write paragraphs and paragraphs about how upset they are. This is an online game filled with people from all walks of life, there's bound to be people that use the anonymity it offers to be jerks. You just deal with it, boot the jerk from group, and move on.

Also, the "DKs are OP and it's impossible for them not to be at the top of the DPS chart" is SOOOOO Wrath. ;)

-Yeah watching a DK tank do 40k DPS while looking to have a 390+ gear score...what the hell is he doing in BRD? Yeah yeah, Justice points for honor points or something something, but there's got to be people who run dungeons once in awhile just to show off their DPS some. Maybe you just haven't thought of it before?

I spent a few hours a couple of weeks ago tanking Cata normals because I was in desperate need of JP to buy some transmog stuff. Also occasionally since there's not a lot to do at endgame, I'll go tank something because it's something to do in-game while I chat with guildies. I imagine there's at least a few others that do similar things to entertain themselves in-game.
Edited by Quetzal on 1/1/2012 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Your gear "sucking to hell" may have to do with the fact that you don't enchant it or just sub-par enchant it. And your general lack of what people like to call correct gems. I doubt most people would bash on you for your gear if you took any effort to make sure it is right.

Also your position on the "ebay" joke is just plain wrong. The joke is that you couldn't spend the few hours getting to level 85. It no longs takes days or even weeks. Everything about the leveling process has been dumbed down incredibly since Cata release and shortened significantly. Also the point is that while leveling people actually learn about their class.

Having a life and having basic understanding and knowledge of a game you play is not a mutually exclusive.
Edited by Nonfiction on 1/1/2012 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I don't like playing with people who get so upset about things in a game that they feel the need to write paragraphs and paragraphs about how upset they are

Well if it's any consolation, I think you'd be hard-pressed to identify these types in-game (smartass!). I'd have thought that the humor (or attempted humor) might have been an indicator of my mood, but no, I'm not 'upset' or 'mad' as much as I just kind of enjoy writing out observations. And sorry for the 'Classism', I was just having a good time poking fun =P
But c'mon...the "Zomg look how upset you are" angle is a stretch...even for Phiegethon's "mouth breathers".
Also, the "DKs are OP and it's impossible for them not to be at the top of the DPS chart" is SOOOOO Wrath. ;)

Ahh okay. Well...about six weeks ago I re-activated my account after a two year absence, and have spent the time leveling up my 3 main toons to 85. I just leveled my last (Kalek) a couple days ago, so I might have spoken too soon - I really haven't seen much end-game stuff except for a couple LFR runs. I sure hope Locks can dole out the DPS like they used to though.

01/01/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Nonfiction
Your gear "sucking to hell" may have to do with the fact that you don't enchant it or just sub-par enchant it. And your general lack of what people like to call correct gems. I doubt most people would bash on you for your gear if you took any effort to make sure it is right.
Thanks for the tip! See that last sentence could almost be considered "constructive criticism" if it made more sense, but someone "bashing on you for your gear" is in a different category than someone who's just name-calling, don't you think? I mean, at least one has the possibility of being constructive.

Also your position on the "ebay" joke is just plain wrong.

No!
The joke is that you couldn't spend the few hours getting to level 85. It no longs takes days or even weeks. Everything about the leveling process has been dumbed down incredibly since Cata release and shortened significantly. Also the point is that while leveling people actually learn about their class.

So where's the joke? What's the punchline? "HAHA, he couldn't level even thought Cata has dumbed it down significantly, so therefore he doesn't know as much as he should about his class HAHA BUUURN!"
Is that it? Again...so what?

Also, I don't know what your definition of a 'few' is (I think it needs revamping), but accounts purchased on Ebay are likely to have more than one leveled character, so it's likely to save someone more than a 'few' hours. Regardless, if an account has four 85 toons, then, even by your definition of 'few', you'd be saving yourself like...an entire day of leveling by purchasing it!
If someone wants to avoid that and has the cash to do so, then more power to him. Why not? He might have to do a little reading on Elitist Jerks and possibly face down the 'ultimate burn' of being called an Ebayer? Oh noes!

Having a life and having basic understanding and knowledge of a game you play is not a mutually exclusive.
Who's saying that they're not mutually exclusive? It's not the issue being discussed -my point has absolutely nothing to do with "People who are good in WoW have no life".

I think it goes back to my 'forest through the trees' comment, and in the same vein as you not understanding my perspective on the Ebay insult. I mean, I post about name-calling, and you go look up my gear to see if it's justified - I think that made my point better than I could have!

I'm not saying I couldn't do more...I need to start focusing on that now that I'm leveled.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
That's too dang funny.
Yes BrucePhallus, because in real life, people go around calling each other names all the time! The other day, I was in line at McDonald's and some guy was looking over the menu for too long and I was life, "WTF $%hole, move your Sh%T ya retarded newb" and he was like, "WTF" and ninja'ed my Chicken Nugget.

lol...detached from reality much? C'mon now...
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
ITT people who suck at video games complain about sucking at video games and are being called out for it oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Reply Quote
Dear Abby,

I find bucephallus creepy and repetitive. Please send Jesus.

-Tellua
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Dear Abby,

-Tellua

LOL was kinda thinking the same thing myself!
Dear Bucephallus,
Please quit posting like that, it's giving me heebie-jeebies.
Thx so much,
Satan

Maybe a fan of Silence of the Lambs?

Reply Quote
87 Draenei Shaman
Dear Abby,

-Tellua

Dear Tellua:

We regret that we are unable to comply. :(

Something about nails, thorns and punctuation.

Love,
Goatgirl.

P.S.: He asks that you !@#$%^& go punctuate yourselves.
Edited by Goatgirl on 1/2/2012 2:29 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]