Darkmoon Faire - Known Issues

85 Tauren Warrior
It does not make much sense to have items that are NOT "Binds When Picked Up" only appear to those who are deemed "level-appropriate".

So if my level 85 character is alone, he has no way of seeing it, and no way of taking it. But if a level-appropriate character comes along, doing nothing at all, he can mow down everything, have the spectator loot the dungeon item, and just hand it over.

If you made it so the Darkmoon dungeon drops only appeared to groups that are level-appropriate, then maybe that makes more sense. But still, we are talking about items that do not bind.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
01/02/2012 08:11 AMPosted by Vathral
The players at the achievement forum are now reporting that if you do a lowbie dungeon to get items like the Monstrous Egg, the ONLY way to even SEE the item is to have a level appropriate player in said dungeon. A level 85 as it stands isn't even eligible to roll on the items if it drops off, let's say, the Hydromancer in ZF

I can confirm this, i actually did ZF specificly since it has 2 of the items, over 40 times and never saw an item. It does appear that they are now enforcing the "level appropriate" part of the guides design.
Edited by Omegal on 1/2/2012 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Warrior
ooooo, 5-10k gold prices for eggs, grimoires, and crystals, here we come! I'll make a mint.
Edited by Nerdraging on 1/2/2012 11:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
And onto all this, it seems that the DMF island is considered an instance. I went there on an alt to get the Darkmoon Adventure's Guide and then run through Stockades with someone. On the 4th reset they were able to enter the instance, I was told that I have entered too many recently. I would guess this is functioning as intended, but wouldn't it have made more sense to treat it like a BG or just a different zone instead of it actually being an instance?
Reply Quote
99 Night Elf Druid
01/01/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Omegal
Were you able to pick up the quest again so you can start collecting Grisly Trophies for next month? Or is this a massive oversight by the quest desigenrs that you have to collect all 250 trophies in the first week of every month, else you are screwed for the next month...

Grisly Trophies was designed to do it that week, the reason you had a quest left over from last month is you didn't do it last month, but since you turned that one in this week you can't get another one.

But the quest objective is very easily completed in 7 days time, it seems intended to pick it up at beginning of week and before faire leaves town, turn it in, and repeat next faire. I've already completed mine, like others said, you can go to molten front and complete this in 20-30 min tops. Or any other area where there is just an endless stream of mobs (minus ulduar, i tried it, heh).

Then I offer as feedback that the quest's design is simply retarded.

With less than 100% drop rate and reduced trash in modern instance/raid designs, there's not enough mobs to avoid resorting to pure grinding. Going back to Northrend to 1 shot 400 mobs isn't my idea of fun gameplay.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Blizzard clearly wants you to have 2 accounts in order to farm these with any sort of reliability. Reliability being a very generous term considering how many how many Underbog runs it took us last night to produce a single Monstrous Egg. I suspect the DK we were using to farm the dungeon will outlevel the instance before we get another egg.

As of this moment, this best method for obtaining these is to buy them off of people who just don't care. Unfortunately most of them tend not to carry darkmoon guides. Unfortunately there is quite a disconnect between players apathetic to the faire and players who are actually going to be listing these items up on the AH for those of us who do care; because of the way the guide books work.

I don't know what the Treatise drop rate is; but I've only ever seen one drop despite a great deal of running heroics for them. Beyond that I've only seen them on the AH for 20k.

The new Darkmoon Faire was a great idea but it's now marred by sloppy execution. I'm not terribly upset, as I know the end result of these bugs and changes will just mean it will take me an extra month or two in order to get the vanity items I want.

It is clear now that Blizzard intended the Faire to be just another big time sink rather than anything genuinely fun now. Last month I enjoyed trying my luck running dungeons trying to get these items. This month there are so many hoops to jump through with the new loot rules (and I suspect new drop rates) that this has become headache inducing.

The truly dumb thing is that making these drop only via appropriate level mobs doesn't solve the underlining issue. As I can do exactly what I did last night and produce an egg for my 85 by plowing through the zone with my 85 + a lowbie character that I don't care about. And doing that is still much, much better odds than trying to beat out rolls by other characters in 5 mans that are actually challenging to me. Considering how bad the drop rates are, I can't afford non-optimal circumstances when it comes to these drops.

Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

<SNIP>
The new Darkmoon Faire was a great idea but it's now marred by sloppy execution. I'm not terribly upset, as I know the end result of these bugs and changes will just mean it will take me an extra month or two in order to get the vanity items I want.

It is clear now that Blizzard intended the Faire to be just another big time sink rather than anything genuinely fun now. Last month I enjoyed trying my luck running dungeons trying to get these items. This month there are so many hoops to jump through with the new loot rules (and I suspect new drop rates) that this has become headache inducing.

The truly dumb thing is that making these drop only via appropriate level mobs doesn't solve the underlining issue. As I can do exactly what I did last night and produce an egg for my 85 by plowing through the zone with my 85 + a lowbie character that I don't care about. And doing that is still much, much better odds than trying to beat out rolls by other characters in 5 mans that are actually challenging to me. Considering how bad the drop rates are, I can't afford non-optimal circumstances when it comes to these drops.

I agree with the above. I had a blast last month doing the dungeons. I just don't get the "level-appropriate" change. Blizzard already ensured a significant time sink by making the quests available only once a month, a change as we've seen for this month is just unnecessary.

Blizzard, please reconsider this change. At this rate, World of Warcraft won't die because of some other MMORPG; World of Warcraft will die because you'll upset so many of your customers with such ridiculously stupid nonsense they won't be able to stomach playing anymore.

If that's the way World of Warcraft dies, do you really think people will return to Blizzard Entertainment for other games?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I've opened a ticket with regards to the Deathmatch. Won't give details here in public as afraid it may open up an exploit. Hoping for a resolution - were gobsmacked that the trinket didn't land in my bag. Thinking this may have happened to others. Interested to see if others have had "issues" with the Deathmatch.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I believe it is still possible to get it as an 85 from lower level dungeons, (no idea if blue has confirmed this as a bug or not) but if you were running your friend through, it could have worked sort of like a profession recipe dropping.

Since you already completed the quest (and it is bugged so you can't turn it in again this month atm), it only allowed your friend to roll on it since they actually needed it.

It might also not be dropping for people who have already completed it since it is a one-time quest item until Blizz fixes it, much like the tracking beacons to get the robot chicken.

Both interesting theories. Perhaps I'll take another 85 out and attempt to farm for artifacts. Of course it will take me several hours to be able to determine if I'm just seeing bad luck or if these drops behave the way I think they do.

It's also really difficult to figure out what is a bug and what is intended when it comes to these things dropping at this point. It would be really nice if a blue would come out and address the situation. But I'm not getting my hopes up on that happening.

Perhaps you're right in that I literally cannot make these items drop as my main because I've handed one in this month already. That would be phenomenally stupid and destroy their concept of being able to farm the items during the rest of the month. But again, without confirmation it's impossible to say. This literally undermines the entire purpose of the drops since it means the people who are trying to farm them are rendered unable to farm them. Then the AH prices go up due to rarity. And everyone loses.

This is some of the worst execution I've seen in a long, long time.

(Cross-post from the Achievement forums. Probably won't help. But I'm looking for any insight from the blues or other players in how exactly these drops are working now)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm glad this is a known issue. Was majorly bummed to find out my artifact achievements were wiped and I was unable to turn in monthy quest items... ugh.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Warrior
It is confirmed that it must be level-appropriate. I ran with a level -appropriate instance with an 85. Neither of us had completed the Grimoire quest. I could loot the Grimoire, and the 85 could not.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
01/02/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Nerdraging
It is confirmed that it must be level-appropriate. I ran with a level -appropriate instance with an 85. Neither of us had completed the Grimoire quest. I could loot the Grimoire, and the 85 could not.

Did the 85 complete it last month? It shouldn't matter, but I'm trying to take everything I can into consideration.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Warrior
01/02/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Aeolyn
Did the 85 complete it last month? It shouldn't matter, but I'm trying to take everything I can into consideration.

It did not complete it last month (and neither did this character).

edit: covering all the bases, both had Darkmoon Adventurer's Guides, and neither had completed any of the drop quests.
Edited by Nerdraging on 1/2/2012 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Appreciated.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have a bug with the insignia and the guide only.

When the dark moon items first dropped in dungeons they were need rolls, now need is greyed out and it's only greed. I, too, am perturbed that a whole group can roll on the item instead of only people carrying the journal.

Last dungeon group where a ibued crystal dropped a Tauren druid won it then asked what it was for!!! People in the group were so upset over it that they asked why he even rolled if he had no clue....to which he promptly rolled greed on the ornate weapon that dropped later...and which he won again!

If your so clueless that you aren't carrying a dungeon guide. aren't on the quests, or have to ask what it's for you shouldn't be allowed to roll period.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Hopefully I'll get credit for the quest items I turned in. I did all of them except 1 that I didn't obtain until now....turned the last one I need in only to find out it didn't count the previous 4-5.
Edited by Duddy on 1/2/2012 2:56 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]