Small disclaimer: I know not a lot of people are going to agree with a lot of this- that's fine. However, we need to try and give Bliz some ideas on how to fix the problems with the system.
This is about IMPROVING THE SYSTEM for everyone all around. These are ideas I've been thinking about for a while. If you have better solutions: contribute, don't just argue "Oh this is a bad idea". Either explain why it's a bad idea and/or give another solution.
Ok so, let's try to come up with CONSTRUCTIVE ways to improve the current LFR loot system. We all know the problems. At least one of them was actually addressed: the one where people were rolling on things not even stated for their class. That was at least a step in the right direction.
So, first off, for those of you that aren't used to how a regular raiding loot system(also known as master looter/roll system) goes, I'll break it down. In the raids I go to- be it a guild or server pug raid- the normal system is Main spec then Offspec (if no one needs the item). Main spec has always been the spec you walked into the raid as- for instance, let's say for some odd reason I decide to go into a pug raid in an enhance spec. I would only be allowed to roll on agility gear.
The only time I would be able to roll on healer gear is 1) there isn't another shammy in the group or 2) the resto shammy doesn't need the gear. That is considered an off spec roll since I am not currently filling the healing role. (And, yes, I have had to actually explain this to someone in a raid once before LFR came out). In other words, it goes to the person who directly- at that moment would benefit from it.
Unfortunately, Blizzard doesn't seem to understand that most of the community views it this way. That is why we see at least 3 posts a day about "Feral druid stole my healing gear" or "Resto shammy stole my hunter/rogue gear".
So, proposed fixes to the LFR system:
1. The ilvl system needs an overhaul. If I remember correctly, gearscore (the grandfather idea that gave Bliz the ilvl system idea), has a way to check a persons gems/enchants according to what spec they are in. Bliz needs to hire this guy. I may not agree with how gearscore was originally used, however, some of the stuff he implemented in it should be implemented into the ilvl system. Gems and enchants could add maybe +2 ilvl to your equipped item level; only gemming your items would only give you +1 to your ilvl. No gems and no enchants would be counted against your ilvl.
2. On items being tradeable: They could always allow something to be tradeable only to the next highest roller instead of just barring trading all together (put a tag on the item stating who it is tradeable to). This would solve the issue of people rolling on things to be traded for something else that may or may not drop. This would also make it fair for those that do solo queue, got second highest on one of the rolls, however lost the roll to someone rolling for a guildie/friend. Also make LFR loot unsellable/unable to be disenchanted.
3. At the moment, I have no reason to requeue this week. I've already done my two DS runs for the week. This does affect other people later in the week though. On my server- normally about Friday/Saturday-ish- I hear people complain because of the wait time. At least make it possible for those of us that have already done our initial queues for the week have a reason to queue again- by way of maybe 50 VP per run after the first runs are done. That right there would give people incentive to queue up more than once per week.
4. Make the random drop table smarter- meaning, the same piece of gear/token cannot drop off the same boss twice in one run. That would eliminate people double rolling on things.
5. If you absolutely MUST put tier tokens in LFR, make it to where only 2 different types of tokens drop per boss (see above). (To avoid confusion, I originally put in that no tokens should drop in LFR but instead the look a like, non-bonus armor should drop instead <kind of like the non-tier bonus stuff that is currently on the VP vendor>). If you want the actual bonuses, go run normals. The biggest problem at the beginning of this patch were certain guilds exploiting the system because they absolutely had to have the new tier bonuses to beat the new normal content.
6. Smarter spec system: hopefully this will be addressed in MoP, but to help out a little, let's break it down barney style:
Ranged dps (hunter)
Caster spirit dps
I'm sorry but there is no reason a healer should be losing things to melee dps. Caster spirit dps is somewhat different because they at least directly benefit from the spirit.
7. Add a system that will not allow you to roll on loot if you are AFK most of the fight or you die within the 30 seconds of a fight (I see people that do this just so they can AFK then roll on things). In order to be eligible to not be considered afk, you have to have had contributed at least a certain threshold of damage/healing (note: I am not saying you have to be doing top dps/hps- but if you are only doing say 5% damage/dps in a fight, you aren't contributing). I don't think I need to state why this is needed.
8. If a person rolls on something and also drops group before the timer runs out, that person forfeits the roll. This would eliminate people having to spend 5 minutes waiting for the roll system to go off. It would also eliminate people not being able to receive something from a boss because the person that won it, left. It would go to the next higher up roll.
Anyways, those are just some ideas taken from many, many different complaints I've seen around from the last month. If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to post them here.