Archaeology : Constructive Critique

What about adding recipes that have been taken out of the game in as artifacts. It would also be cool to be able to find complete sets of armor with no stats for transmogrification.
Reply Quote
01/07/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Preditorr
What about adding recipes that have been taken out of the game in as artifacts. It would also be cool to be able to find complete sets of armor with no stats for transmogrification.

Oh that is a great idea.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
some good suggestions, arch has been the upmost frustratingly annoying thing Blizzard ever added to the game, the more time i waste seeking that damn bug mount the more frustrated i get, I really would like to give up, but that means all time spent has been a complete waste, i'm over 100 tol vir commons now, it's been over 90 since i got a tol vir rare... but hell every other common i get the same one back to back

i was pretty lucky on the initial grind, hit 20 rares pretty quick, last August

since then i've spent probably 4-5 times as much time spent digging and i've discovered one new rare....

it's very unrewarding in relation to the time sink involved
Edited by Unleashing on 1/8/2012 4:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
The ability to turn off one or more races that we have completed would make a world of difference and probably make almost all of us happy.
Reply Quote
I agree this would be a simple start to improving the profession.
Reply Quote
79 Worgen Druid
I am sick to my stomach with canopic jars. 5 months and 50 canopic jars later I still do not have the recipe.

I would like to see the drop rates increase, more fragments obtained per dig, chance of zombie to spawn at dig sites for additional fragments, port to next dig site.

Please for the love of RNG fix this profession.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/01/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Pemberton
- What about a quest chain that requires archaeology trash as turn ins to progress?

*taken aback*

Or items that start quests. Like, "Turn this into Darkmoon Faire for a reward!"

That way people who do the grind can get a little extra something something for doing so. Maybe increased gold, experience, or something. Even a little more story behind the item would be nice. That would certainly make it a nice to have, but not a must have thing.

I like that idea a lot, actually.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I am sick to my stomach with canopic jars. 5 months and 50 canopic jars later I still do not have the recipe.

I would like to see the drop rates increase, more fragments obtained per dig, chance of zombie to spawn at dig sites for additional fragments, port to next dig site.

Please for the love of RNG fix this profession.

Keep going for the canopic jars.

The recipe for Vial of Sands drops ONLY if you are an alchemist. Your profile shows you are not. But keep digging. If this is your alt and you are talking about a main...then I feel sorry for you. I got mine in 3rd or 4th canopic jar.

But on another topic.................I would like to see more variety. Add some more races w/ their artifacts. Some of the semi-intelligent monster, demonic, etc., races.

Because I'm sick of opening my map only to see: Yep, another Night Elf dig site. Oh wait! 3 Night Elf dig sites.

Plus, it would be nice if maybe some of the "alterna" dig sites gave something useful, something you could use in a raid or reg bg etc. The other secondary professions actually give something you can use; whereas w/ archeology, it's like all the junk flea markets and pitiful garage sales of the world were the major inspiration.
Edited by Skink on 1/13/2012 10:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
01/08/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Arkthan
The ability to turn off one or more races that we have completed would make a world of difference and probably make almost all of us happy.
Or just automatically disable them when you've gotten all the rares out of them.

I mean, really Blizz, I don't want to see more Nelf digsites. I have everything from them already. There is literally no reason for me to ever dig one up again except to just make them go away and hope something more useful shows up next time (which it rarely does, usually just another Nelf site).
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
01/08/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Arkthan

Implicit in all requests of this form is the desire to increase the chance of tol'vir - which, in archaeology's current state, will not happen on a persistent scale. Tol'vir's rewards are simply too stacked, being:

-The only race with a BoA novelty item;
-The only race with a potentially useful common;
-The only race that interacts with another profession (alchemy, through the common;)
-The only race that has five useful (ie, non-novelty) rares. (Most races don't have five rares at all; night elf has seven, but five are novelties.)

Last night, I had an idea of a "Loremonger" NPC that could feed you rumours of sites for a nominal fee, allowing you to "shuffle" your dig sites - and optionally include keystones in the price to exclude the keystone's race from consideration in that shuffle. It'd increase the chance of tol'vir on a temporary scale, at a cost.

Alternately, they could balance the races' rares; night elf currently has as many rares as the Outland and Northrend races combined, and of a slightly better spread of utility. Or allow other races to have synergy with other professions, giving similar profit potential to all.
Reply Quote
"I have mixed feelings about Archaeology. I feel like it’s a good addition to professions and offers more, and more varied, gameplay than our existing professions. Still, it’s clear that some players wanted more. We wanted Archaeology to be hard to complete. We didn’t want it to be one of those professions you can max out by buying up mats at the Auction House. But random reward systems whose long-term goals are more interesting than the short term ones can feel grindy. Archaeology had too much travel time. It could be punishingly random, especially for players who imagined that it would be a guaranteed delivery mechanism for Zin’rokh (which was never the intention). Players missed a lot of the lore, which was delivered in the Archaeology journal and not as part of the survey or digging experience. We think the Mists of Pandaria expansion will be really good for Archaeology. Players will be focused on a couple of new races on a single continent, so travel and randomness will be reduced automatically, and leveling Archaeology should be a bit more convenient since there will be more opportunities to dig at a single site. We have other tricks up our sleeve too."

This was mentioned in Ghostcrawler's cataclysm postmortem. I'm glad to hear acknowledgement of the weaknesses of the profession (excessive travel time, poor delivery of lore, punishingly random).

I feel a bit confused about the intention of arch never being to guarantee a Zin'Rokh. Frankly, the tiny pieces of lore available in the trash you dig up over and over and over again for some species is not the motivation for a lot of people doing arch. Many of us do it because there's bright shiny purples at the end of the grind somewhere, and Blizzard knows that, since that's why there's items in there to motivate the grind in the first place.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any changes around come Beta.

Reply Quote
79 Human Death Knight
It's not so bad, i have gotten the fossilized raptor and voodoo figurine. And i'm only 320 archaeology. it is a bit of a grind though :s
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
700 tol'vir solves... no mount... no rare in hundreds of solves... and I still can potentially get the scimitar of sirocco which I don't even care about.

This profession is a huge time sink, and the fact that someone can spend about 5 hours getting the thing I've spent hundreds of hours on is frankly disgusting.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Just remember that Arch is relatively new. To me, it feels like they slapped it together at the last minute and suggestions like yours (looking at you, OP) would make it much more enjoyable and fulfilling, particularly Race Specializations :D great idea!

I'm sure they're thinking up ways to make Arch more appealing and all these suggestions are sound.

That said, I agree that with the way Arch is currently, Junior would be ashamed.
Reply Quote
I finally got my Crawling Claw pet today, and was utterly thrilled. It certainly made the grind feel much less stressful now that I had the one thing I really wanted.

I looked back on Archaeology and tried to think if now that I had what I really wanted, did I still feel the same way as in my original post.

And I do! This profession single handedly made me want to quit cataclysm multiple times. In its current form, I feel it is a significant detriment to the game. At the same time, I feel it has so much potential for lore and growth, and it's also more interesting than some of the others as the boundaries of it are less clear. At the start of the expansion we used it for dungeon buffs, in mid expansion it unlocked a dungeon boss, and at the end of the expansion it was purely a grind for items...

I look forward to Beta and seeing what they have in store for us. But I don't think I'll be grinding out a bug mount in the meantime, too much pain and time that should be spent doing more productive, or at least fun things.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]