4.3.2 PTR Installation issues

MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Over 4 GB download when updating from the 4.3 PTR

This would be because for 4.3.2 Blizzard decided to re-organize and optimize the Data folder of the PTR.

Certain patch files were merged into existing ones and a new world-2.MPQ file has appeared.

It's having to re-download a lot of data as technically it's all new information to the installer. Not sure why it can't just copy the data from existing files and write it into new files but there you are.

Unable to find streaming info for "Data\enUS\OldWorld-enUS.MPQ". (OpenRepackTarget::Validate)

AFAIK This is error is when your installing the 4.3 PTR for the first time.

Seems to be a bug in the installer as it's happened twice before. Have emailed the zombie sheep about it, we just need to wait till he's in the office to forward onto the right bodies.

Here to Help :)
Edited by Bluspacecow on 1/3/2012 11:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
Patch 4.3.2 is making a significant change to data folder.

The first thing patch does is updates tools, then outright deletes these files:
wow-update-base-15050.MPQ
wow-update-base-15005.MPQ
wow-update-13164.MPQ
wow-update-13205.MPQ
wow-update-13287.MPQ
wow-update-13329.MPQ
wow-update-13596.MPQ
wow-update-13623.MPQ
wow-update-base-13914.MPQ
wow-update-base-14007.MPQ
wow-update-base-14333.MPQ
wow-update-base-14480.MPQ
wow-update-base-14545.MPQ
wow-update-base-14946.MPQ

Without saving the data from any of them. Then, because now you're missing 3.7 gigs worth of data (when compared to latest previous 4.3 ptr build), downloads the missing data into a World2.mpq, Art.mpq, Sound.mpq, Expansion3.mpq files.

I suspect that for whatever reason the assets could not be retained and just copied from one mpq to anther because the patch is more then an consolidating of mpq files. The data folder itself(including a fully built cache folder inside it) is 4.2gigs smaller for me at least. Mostly the data folder is what shrunk, with the cache folder that's generated is still roughly the same size.
This indicates that somehow the actual data files became smaller as well. Suggesting possibly more file compression within the mpq files probably on the remaining wav files, or texture.blp files or something that remained uncompressed. the cache, which basically uncompresses these files anyways, remains the same size after the fact (also consolidated into less mpqs). So the data files themselves are smaller because of more compression utilized in distribution, which made the data overall smaller. The cache is not much smaller, because consolidating mpqs alone wouldn't actually shrink anything. Wouldn't mind a blue confirmation on this though.

I noticed right away, even on an SSD, reduced load times entering game world. Probalby see similar results changing zones too. I wouldn't expect this to affect anything else though, the reduced seek times shouldn't affect fps for assets that are already loaded. So don't expect this patch to make ultraxion any better (unless it has any specific different fixes unrelated to the file restructuring). I was wondering why a bugfix patch went to the PTR in first place but i imagine this is the reason.
Edited by Omegal on 1/4/2012 4:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Don't forget there's been merges in the enUS folder of the Data folder as well Omegal.

Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks Blu and Omegal!

Also, please feel free to report any Mac specific Issues on the PTR here in this forum as well. I spoken with Padim & S4d1k, and post here as well helps me see the information and relay it to the team directly. This way I can check the report, add feedback or escalate it to the team, and gets your voice heard.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Sunday to Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
The Mechanical sheep formerly known as as TonyM!
If at first you don't succeed... call it Version 1.0..
Edited by Machkhan on 1/4/2012 10:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Here's a Mac specific issue. Minor but disturbing.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3811457245

http://s14.postimage.org/dvr8f428f/Screen_Shot_2012_01_03_at_10_27_02_PM.png
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks.

I actually got this when I updated my PTR copy. I didn't know what to think of it because I do like to break things from time to time, so I didn't know if this was just me. But I'm glad you posted this here. I will get this send up.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Sunday to Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
The Mechanical sheep formerly known as as TonyM!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
So what do i do about this issue how do i fix it in simple terms
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
how can i fix this problem
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This is something that cannot be fixed on the client side. We're making a few updates to this and will be fixed after it's implemented. This is something that another team is working on, and hopefully is fixed soon. I'll post back when I find out more.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
01/04/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Raimondas
http://s14.postimage.org/dvr8f428f/Screen_Shot_2012_01_03_at_10_27_02_PM.png

Ha ha.

Looks like something's going wrong with the context they are using to display that page.

It's using WebKit so if it doesn't have a window or program specified it loads up in Safari prehaps ?

01/04/2012 01:27 PMPosted by Balancedruid
So what do i do about this issue how do i fix it in simple terms

You wait for Blizzard to fix the installer.

You see we could figure out a method to get the installer working by altering the Installer Tome.MPQ . But that's altering game files which is against your ToU/EULA.

And we don't know if there's other stuff the developers missed. This gives them the opportunity to go over the installer again to double check there isn't other stuff they've missed.

And at the end of the day your subscription doesn't pay for the PTR. So it's not a mission critical system to get going. You can wait.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
So do you think they will fix the downloader?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
They fixed it !
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
01/05/2012 04:51 AMPosted by Balancedruid
They fixed it !

So they have.

No need to re-download and re-install the PTR installer. Just run it (the 100 MB installer you download via the Blizzard download that is).

Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
:)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
so is this just for ptr? i loaded my wow launcher for retail and it happened for me . i saw all this talk of ptr... im downloading 4gb of data right now for retail wow but b4 the file compressor i had full wow downloaded do i still need to download this?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Yes. Everyone is going through this. read more here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3870837682
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]