Should I report a need roll abuse?

(Locked)

90 Gnome Warlock
01/04/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Emeraude

Indeed - and shunning is a social thing, not a rule thing.

There are far worse penalties incurred from your peers for social infractions than anything we can think to do. Not being able to play a banned account is one thing - not being able to play an active account because no one will associate or group with you is quite another.

Not breaking rules does NOT equal - ok. It's just not rulebreaking. Social conventions are within every players grasp and another thing entirely.

Except that people who break social rules don't have to socialize with people on separate servers, lol. That threat might have worked 5 years ago when LFG/LFR didn't exist, nowadays? Not so much.

If you place the person on ignore then you will no longer group with them ever again in the LFG/LFR. If enough people have that person on ignore, they will find that the queue times are very long. I don't see how the LFR or LFG effects any social consequence.
15 Blood Elf Warrior

Indeed - and shunning is a social thing, not a rule thing.

There are far worse penalties incurred from your peers for social infractions than anything we can think to do. Not being able to play a banned account is one thing - not being able to play an active account because no one will associate or group with you is quite another.

Not breaking rules does NOT equal - ok. It's just not rulebreaking. Social conventions are within every players grasp and another thing entirely.

Except that people who break social rules don't have to socialize with people on separate servers, lol. That threat might have worked 5 years ago when LFG/LFR didn't exist, nowadays? Not so much.

They still group people together that are on the same server first. Before anyone else if there are some in queue. I don't know how many times I have ended up with several people from the same server or 4 others on my server in the dungeon queue. It happens a lot. So it is still valid. If even one person sees what you do, they will relay that.
Edited by Wing on 1/4/2012 12:36 PM PST
90 Gnome Warlock
01/04/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Jooki
not being able to play an active account because no one will associate or group with you is quite another.

See, that used to be possible back in BC and to a lesser extent in Wrath of the Lich King. If you were a jerk, people would not invite you to a 5 man group. They would not invite you to pulled together raids. If you earned a bad reputation on a server, it stuck with you unless you could rehabilitate your image by changing your attitude and how you interacted with other people.

With the LFD and LFR now there is absolutely no accountability. All you have to do is press that button again and you're in another group in a matter of seconds. Reputations don't stick because everyone is truly anonymous. The social pressures and the things that helped encourage conformity (to not be a jerk and to not be a drag on the group) are non-existant in WoW today.

And again if you place them on ignore you will never group with them, if enough people do it then the person will find that the queue time is very long. Same thing as back in BC only on a broader scale.
100 Night Elf Warrior

Not true - if everyone in a raid put them on /ignore, they won't be grouped again. It's even more effective in a raid because that's 24 people vs. 4.

Playing Devil's Advocate.

1) The ignore list only holds upwards to 50 people.

2) That doesn't really stop somebody from finding a group, they're still gonna get a group, just with a different group of people, the problem is just redirected.

3) The majority of your playerbase probably doesn't know ignoring people stops you from grouping with them, nor do they care to the point where they'd add every single jerk/ninja they see in LFG/LFR to this list, and even if they did, see #1

4) The chances of me running into the same single loot ninja when an entire nation is playing and queuing for dungeons is slim to begin with, I can probably count on one-finger how many times I've run into the same player in LFR or LFG. Battlegrounds/PvP is a different matter, since it's pretty niche to begin with and the same PvPers actually are always in BGs 24-7.

5) Not an attack on you good sir, but saying that putting ninjas on ignore is a real solution just kinda seems like you're way of saying "You have a way to deal with this, so we don't have to."
85 Orc Death Knight
^Above Poster has the right idea (Especially when it come to point 5).
Edited by Fodasim on 1/4/2012 12:43 PM PST
25 Night Elf Druid
If you'd like to see a change on the mechanics of the situation, then please post constructively in Raids and Dungeons.

Complaining about how things are currently HERE, is not going to accomplish anything.

Such behavior is not against current policy. That's really all Blues here can offer you.
85 Draenei Paladin

Not true - if everyone in a raid put them on /ignore, they won't be grouped again. It's even more effective in a raid because that's 24 people vs. 4.

Simply put, that does not happen. Its incredibly difficult in the current system to have the community self-regulate as it once did. Please do not continue to tell us that "its a community issue and not a rules issue." When you create systems that effect the way the community can regulate itself and we complain, a valid response is not to continue to tell us we need to use the diminishing tools to self-regulate.

While the LFD and LFR tools have been a success (for most players), it has diminished the communities ability to regulate itself when it comes to bad players, ninja looters, inappropriate behavior, et al. If you do not wish to have GMs/Rules to regulate the system going forward, give us the advanced tools in order for the community to do so. We have been asking for a "rank a player" type feedback tool since day one.

Hell, when a player is kicked from a group, the kicked player does not even receive feedback on why they were kicked. The system needs to improve, and we deserve better answers from the GM Team than we did in this thread. Yes, the issue that was reported was something that you can't do anything about, but the answer was ridiculous and the subsequent responses only serve to place a spotlight on the evolutionary deficiencies of the game as whole.
85 Troll Death Knight
The frustrating thing about this is that really, 'socially' it isn't going to matter. merged battlegroups, the anonymity provided by RDF and LFR, it's not going to matter. People can just need need need need need all they want.

it doesn't even stop your account from being grouped with them again. I've ignored people on this, my main, only to be grouped up with them on my shaman healer alt.

While RDF and LFR have made content more accessible, it has also increased the dbag quotient, because people just don't face consequences. The idea that blues think that it still matters is a little disconcerting.

100 Draenei Shaman
it doesn't even stop your account from being grouped with them again. I've ignored people on this, my main, only to be grouped up with them on my shaman healer alt.

While RDF and LFR have made content more accessible, it has also increased the dbag quotient, because people just don't face consequences. The idea that blues think that it still matters is a little disconcerting.

Yeah unfortunately its not account wide ignore :( maybe in the future one day.

Really.. i dont think its increased the dbag quotient that much.. it think it just the same amount of players like that.. i just think that people are SEEING more of them, that they are doing more random grouping in these ways... vs the ways of always having to put a group together manualy, etc.
Support Forum Agent
Folks, this thread is going downhill, I've answered all that the Game Master department can.

More tools is a development thing. By all means, please do post well considered and civil recommendations and suggestions in the appropriate forums.

There is a thing about tools though, if folks don't use the ones available it does bring up the question is it worth developing more.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]