Cut down on the spoonfed storytelling in MoP.

87 Blood Elf Priest
01/04/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Asane
but there are risks involved with that too. For newer players or those that aren't on the front edge of progression, this can cause them to miss out on being able to see this story unless they're with people who are willing to let it play out so they can experience it.

Put RP at the end, so that people can opt out, and others can stay.

Right now, Ultraxion's startup and trash RP is painful.

Yeah... totally worked for the success that was the TotC raid... wait.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Having recently played a game that puts the RPG back in MMORPG's, I can tell you Wow has virtually no RPG element at this point. If what pathetic amount remains is still too much for you OP, I suggest switching to first person shooter games.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
All I really want is for Blizzard to remember this is a game first, and a story-telling-medium second. I'm here to play. Watching things happen without my involvement just isn't playing, so why am I here?
Reply Quote
28 Undead Mage
Massively multiplayer online ROLE-PLAYING game.

Without story, you have no game.

Roleplaying is about making your own story against a background plot. Not about being fed a story. That's what differentiates a RPG from a graphical adventure.

Don't do quests. Roleplay a plot of your own. Problem solved.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
POWAH! --- I hate that line.

I am okay with a mix of story telling added to the dungeons. I like to feel like I am part of an obvious story line unlike many of the instances where if you don't know the story you are just killing things.

So, I'd am cool with the hand held animations... and like them.

HOWEVER, with that said... I would like the option to say, do not play them a 2nd time. This is especially in LFR Dragon Soul.

I also agree with the sentiment that the lines are extremely cheesy with mediocre acting... if you have to see/hear something that many times, it should be 1st class acting / animation.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
MoP Story Preview

"You've got to save Azeroth by stopping Garrosh!"

"Garrosh: You've meddled in my plans for far too long!!!"

1. I must stop you!
2. Go to hell!
3. Can we make a deal?

"Does it have to come to violence? I can offer you 100 gold."

"Garrosh: HA HA HA! You whelp! I AM violence encarnate."

1. Your hate will lead you to the dark side Garrosh!
2. For Azeroth I will strike you down! (+50 rage points)
3. Please...relent and surrender we will spare you. (+100 uther points)

(eventually you beat Garrosh)

"Sylvanas: You can't allow Garrosh to live, he deserves to die in the most painful way our torturers have come up with!"

"Jaina: NOOO!!! The alliance is better than this."

"Thrall: Whatever you decide is the will of the Horde."

1. I will kick you into the torture well and you will get what is coming to you! THIS. IS. AZEROTH!!! (Rage points +150)
2. Jaina is right. Take him away.
3. Garrosh have you been hugged today? (+100 light points)

(You hug Garrosh)
(He dies from shame)

You are then amongst a crowd of people. Jaina and Anduin Wrynn are next to their throne.
A hairy tall... Worgen screams. Jaina gives you medals. Everyone cheers!

Side wipe.

Credits.
Reply Quote
I thought the story was handled very well in Cataclysm, especially in the leveling zones.

Prior to Cataclysm, leveling in Azeroth zones was a mess. You'd just run from hub to hub and run dumb errands for people. You didn't really have a good reason apart from "I'll pay you", and so I never had much fun with the quests. But in Cataclysm, the zones have a coherent storyline and it's great. Eastern Plaguelands turned from a random mishmosh of undead related quests to a full storyline with Fiona's Caravan and the two paladin trainees. Westfall went from a zone where you collect pie ingredients and kill the occasional bandit to a whole buildup to the new Deadmines and Vanessa VanCleef. Blasted Lands actually gained quests apart from the godawful "collect these organs with a really low drop rate from the wildlife around here" and got a whole new story and a new town in Surwich.

In my opinion, being "spoonfed" a story is better than not having one at all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I never watched any of the Dragon Soul cinematics in-game. Killed boss, cinematics pop up, I want my loot, hit ESC! Same thing every time after also. I just watched em on mmo champ ;p
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
And yet Blizzard is completely fine in making one tier old raids story irrelevant and harder for players who come in later to experience it. Why is it that its fine to do such on one part of the game and not the other parts of it? Maybe the story told through raids is really just insignificant that the developers feel its okay for players to skip and yet at the same time want to hurdle players who dont like the content into it to rationalize the development resources?

01/04/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Luph
I feel that story elements are best told through quests. The only time I ever want to be interrupted by the story while I'm working on content is at the climax of a raid. It's exhausting to see it slow me down in a dungeon.

This is how I feel as well as that is also where an overwhelming bulk of story related content comes from, even the likes of the attunement quests in BC held much more story to be told and interest for those who like lore than your typical dungeon which is designed to be run many times over can offer. I hope the developers will make more leveling content as well as make it longer for MoP than for Cata and maybe even dailies which are packed full of more story.

If Blizzard wants to stick more story/ore into the dungeons and raids than make quests again that are easy to picked up in like the capital city or such and you can follow along while you progress through a dungeon or raid. I also really liked the attunement quest chains, not to say to bring attunements back but to bring in these quest chains that start like such and reward a helpful or fun item for those who want to partake in these quests.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/04/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Ehcks
How about figuring out a way to only let groups skip events if all party members have seen the event?

I think this is a great idea. It will let most groups skip past it after the first few weeks, but allow a new player to see the RP without feeling like he needs to beg the group to wait a minute.

Also, I think that the model in HoO versus the HoS in Wrath is a good one. Rather than have the lengthy RP story in the middle of the dungeon where the gogogo-ers will want to skip it to get to the end faster, the juicy story is at the end where those who ahev seen it (or don't care) can leave the group and skip it while new players (or those who just think it's cool) can stay for it.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
A thought I had in regards to this bit:

01/04/2012 10:37 AMPosted by Nethaera
For newer players or those that aren't on the front edge of progression, this can cause them to miss out on being able to see this story unless they're with people who are willing to let it play out so they can experience it.

What if there was the option to skip, and if there was a person that had never been to the instance, to not allow the group to skip, no matter who in the group talked to the NPC that would otherwise allow you to skip the dialog.

I hope that makes sense.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I would like to see more cutscenes like the one for Wrathgate. I don't like to compare WoW to other games too often, but Final Fantasy XI went into MMO's from a very different angle than pretty much any other game. The whole game and it's expansions are extremely, extremely story driven with hundreds of cutscenes that run on nothing but the game's engine. There are ways to replay most of the important cutscenes, too, in case you maybe missed something the first time and want to experience it again.

I would like to see this type of cinematic come to the Warcraft world, and not just for the end of an expansion or a sole event.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
I don't think that they want to remove story line altogether but simplify it or give the option to not play it. Lets face it, the story line in the new heroic instances is a little uhhm.... weird. When I go into an instance and hear some chick asking the moon for help and some demon chanting incantations, it really just makes me want to lower my sound or turn it off altogether. Doubt I'm the only one who feels this way. Anyhow, I hope you guys try and make the dialogue in the MoP instances a little less strange.
Edited by Gravy on 1/4/2012 12:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
11 Gnome Warlock
How about a boss that someone actuallys knows?

Timeline

Burning Crusade-"You Are NOT PREPARED!" Oh damn..illidan is a monster yet i feel bad for him at the same time, great story

Wrath- Arthas one of the most known figures in WoW, after seeing all the destruction actually being told about him in game really making you hate this guy..he finally drops forcing you to suddenly realize he was a good person trying to save his people untill corrupted by frostmourne. You feel bad for having to kill him *Single Tear*

Cataclysm- Some random big !@# dragon that's going to rez old bosses we have already seen and another boss thats been rezed and is about to rez another old boss that's already been rezzed three times...eh? let's change the lore massively at the same time to make it work

We can only hope mists has someone decent that we have actually heard of and it doesnt go like this

Mists- "It seems we have run out of ideas again..and instead of trying you shall fight Bowzer, we had to change to S to a Z due to copyright" Have fun!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
MoP Story Preview

"You've got to save Azeroth by stopping Garrosh!"

"Garrosh: You've meddled in my plans for far too long!!!"

1. I must stop you!
2. Go to hell!
3. Can we make a deal?

"Does it have to come to violence? I can offer you 100 gold."

"Garrosh: HA HA HA! You whelp! I AM violence encarnate."

1. Your hate will lead you to the dark side Garrosh!
2. For Azeroth I will strike you down! (+50 rage points)
3. Please...relent and surrender we will spare you. (+100 uther points)

(eventually you beat Garrosh)

"Sylvanas: You can't allow Garrosh to live, he deserves to die in the most painful way our torturers have come up with!"

"Jaina: NOOO!!! The alliance is better than this."

"Thrall: Whatever you decide is the will of the Horde."

1. I will kick you into the torture well and you will get what is coming to you! THIS. IS. AZEROTH!!! (Rage points +150)
2. Jaina is right. Take him away.
3. Garrosh have you been hugged today? (+100 light points)

(You hug Garrosh)
(He dies from shame)

You are then amongst a crowd of people. Jaina and Anduin Wrynn are next to their throne.
A hairy tall... Worgen screams. Jaina gives you medals. Everyone cheers!

Side wipe.

Credits.

Make this man President.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Needs less cheesy comic inspired lines and more, actual intriguing and well thought out lines.

We don't need "You haven't heard the last of me!" "I'll stop you, fool!". We need some actual competitive writing.

It could be worse. They could hire George Lucas to do their writing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]