Cut down on the spoonfed storytelling in MoP.

86 Dwarf Paladin
01/04/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Ehcks
How about figuring out a way to only let groups skip events if all party members have seen the event?

Ahaha, what a great way to ensure alts and new players never get a group again.

For raids at least. For five mans this would simply be very annoying, not opportunity ruining.
Edited by Rurius on 1/4/2012 12:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/04/2012 10:00 AMPosted by Calciumplus
Roleplaying is about making your own story against a background plot. Not about being fed a story. That's what differentiates a RPG from a graphical adventure.

Ooooo so you want to be in a single player game I hear tor is like that :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
01/04/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Alandryn
so why exactly did benedictus betray the alliance? was there a quest explaining it?

Apparently, there was a whole quest chain in Twilight Highlands that gave the story of why/how/when Benedictus betrays the alliance, but it got cut, along with so many other things in the rush to get Cata out for a pre christmas release.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I don't mind the Storytelling to be honest however I think the npc roleplaying should be disabled by talking to a Npc at the start of a instance like it was near the end of wotlk in the CoT 5mans

You should also be able to disable the popup Cinematics Via the interface menu.

Also you should be able to replay previously unlocked cinematics from the load screen much like you could in starcraft2 .

I want my story in game and not in some book however I want it to be none intrusive to my gameplay So I think the suggestions above would go a long way into giving the playerbase the best of both worlds.

~also while were on a similier subject players should also have the option to hide the non combat pets of other players from view as it is really hard to immerse yourself in a mid-evil fantasy world when their is a miniature versions of creatures from other blizzard games running around.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
Not a fan of the train track questing this xpac. In fact it was a big turn off.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
01/04/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Shockstorm
"Garrosh: HA HA HA! You whelp! I AM violence encarnate."

Wow. Captured his essence perfectly in that line.

I love Garrosh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I can name two places, that actually could benefit, from a spoon fed story/lore injection, and that's Silvermoon, and the Exodar.

Those cities, and their leaders, need some serious updating.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
AGB
01/04/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Fizzlebång
How about a boss that someone actuallys knows?

Don't be silly. We'll end up bringing dead characters from the RTS back to life, whom at the same time brings some other characters back to...oh wait.
Reply Quote
The more linear and story-driven questing was one of my favourite parts of Cataclysm. Zones have actual plots and goals, and I feel like I've been part of an important event when I finish them. Compare this with Outland and parts of Northrend where you'd just show up someplace for no reason and run around doing random odd jobs for money. No thanks.

As much as I dislike linear story-driven games, I can't enjoy a game with no story at all. Mostly, I think, I don't like being forced to sit and listen to someone talk about the backstory to each quest they want to give me.

I think Blizzard has it about right. There's plenty of story, but you have to look for it. You don't have to read it, but can just skip it every time. It's still there to be read, which is all I want.

How about figuring out a way to only let groups skip events if all party members have seen the event?

Or, perhaps, if all party members choose to skip it?

I agree with every said in this post.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
What if there was the option to skip, and if there was a person that had never been to the instance, to not allow the group to skip, no matter who in the group talked to the NPC that would otherwise allow you to skip the dialog.

I hope that makes sense.

It makes sense, but the problem is, it would be ill received by other players who HAVE gone through the instance and played the story. They would just be sitting around while the new kid was having an awesome time with the story. That, or the new kid would get booted in hopes for a dps who already went through the story and the group wouldn't have to wait for.
Instead, why not implement a system where you can call a majority vote to skip the story. If majority has seen the story, then the group moves on, BUT! the players who didn't want to skip and see the story are allowed to go to the instance at another time, an instance purely made for the story that offers no loot, is soloable, and requires a player to go through the lore bits and pieces. That way, a player can go through the story on their own time after they have already been through the dungeon with a group.

I can name two places, that actually could benefit, from a spoon fed story/lore injection, and that's Silvermoon, and the Exodar.

I had a post much like this once, and I got the following answer: Back in BC, the plot revolved around the Draenei, and Blizzard wants to keep them as far away from the spotlight as possible now because we had much more then our fill of it during the second expansion. It wouldn't be fair for the other races. As much as I agree with this, I don't think our story with the crash should just be ended on a loose hook. I want to know what happened with the Exodar and Velen. Still, Blizzard has other things it has to do as well, so I can't say I'm actually expecting anything with this.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Do people just forget the root of RPG - Role Playing Game all together? The core being ROLE PLAYING. The lore in the warcraft universe, or any blizzard universe for that matter, is always epic. Without a story line the game would fall apart, not just for the lore junkies but literally the entire game. More "spoon fed" story is what I look forward to in MoP and for that reason I will continue to call this my hobby.

Do yourself a favor, go back and buy an original NES and play some Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy.. and get you back to your roots since im guessing you were born in the late 90's when those games were to old for you to even know they exist.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
AGB
My opinion is, remove stale times from dungeons. Do it like in WoE (most of it), where you can hear the rp, see the story and still keep fighting hordes of demons. Make the story flow with the fight.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
No. I like that WoW tells a lot of its story. It makes the game a lot more fun than some of the other computer games I play which are just you playing as a guy mindlessly shooting stuff for no reason.
Edited by Shanalore on 1/4/2012 12:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

I had a post much like this once, and I got the following answer: Back in BC, the plot revolved around the Draenei, and Blizzard wants to keep them as far away from the spotlight as possible now because we had much more then our fill of it during the second expansion. It wouldn't be fair for the other races. As much as I agree with this, I don't think our story with the crash should just be ended on a loose hook. I want to know what happened with the Exodar and Velen. Still, Blizzard has other things it has to do as well, so I can't say I'm actually expecting anything with this.

I don't know....I mean that may have worked for Wrath, but once we get to Mists they are going to need an update. New players will be completely lost when they exit those zones, and enter the post-cata world.

The leaders, if nothing else, need to be made aware of what's gone on.

Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I don't know....I mean that may have worked for Wrath, but once we get to Mists they are going to need an update. New players will be completely lost when they exit those zones, and enter the post-cata world.The leaders, if nothing else, need to be made aware of what's gone on.

I agree. However, it's likely not to happen, because we had our spotlight act. Now we aren't allowed back on stage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]