PvP Assassination Guide & Discussion

85 Night Elf Rogue
Please note that this isn't a be all end all, or one size fits all type of guide. This is simply a collaboration of thoughts, ideas, and experiences between those who are interested in contributing in order to comprise some basic info for new players and veterans alike.

I will edit and update this guide accordingly as suggestions are shared.

Disclaimer: This is as much a guide as it is a discussion, and the guide itself is a take on different builds and styles of how one may be able to play as an Assassination Rogue.

I. Race

There are at least three factors one might consider when choosing a race: appearance, utility, and damage.

a. Alliance

-Human
Every Man for Himself (Instant, 2 min cooldown): Removes all movement impairing effects and all effects which cause loss of control of your character. This effect shares a cooldown with other similar effects.

Comments:
Since Every Man for Himself shares cooldown with Cataclysmic Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity, Humans may replace their Medallions with a damage increasing trinket. Players who raid or use the Looking For Raid system may take full advantage of this racial, but if not, the racial is convenient at best.

-Dwarf
Stoneform (Instant, 2 min cooldown): Removes all poison, disease and bleed effects and reduces all damage taken by 10% for 8 sec.

Comments:
While the 10% reduced damage taken does indeed have its uses, being able to remove bleed effects (which is the only DoT a Rogue can't remove) to re-enter stealth will give you a distinct advantage when playing. Furthermore, this ability could save you from having to use your Cloak of Shadows ability if the only DoTs on you are poisons, diseases, and/or bleeds.

-Night Elf
Elusiveness: Reduces the chance enemies have to detect you while Shadowmelded and increases your speed while stealthed by 5%.
Quickness: Reduces the chance that melee and ranged attackers will hit you by 2%.
Shadowmeld (Instant, 2 min cooldown): Activate to slip into the shadows, reducing the chance for enemies to detect your presence. Lasts until cancelled or upon moving. Any threat is restored versus enemies still in combat upon cancellation of this effect.

Comments:
Elusiveness is somewhat insignificant, but not completely without merit. Quickness is only advantageous if whoever is attacking you doesn't have 7% hit; some do, and some don't. Shadowmeld is a fantastic ability for Assassination Rogues in particular because they don't have Preparation; using Shadowmeld removes you from combat, and therefore you can re-enter stealth, so it may act as a second Vanish. If you use Shadowmeld, you can "eat" a spell and/or ranged attack if timed correctly, and any enemy player who has you set as a Focus Target will have it cleared once you use Shadowmeld.

-Gnome
Escape Artist (Instant, 1.5 min cooldown): Escape the effects of any immobilization or movement speed reduction effect.
Shortblade Specialization (Requires One-Handed Swords, Daggers): Expertise with Daggers and One-Handed Swords increased by 3.

Comments:
Shortblade Specialization is a solid racial, it can be very helpful if you choose to reach 5% expertise (amount necessary to bypass a caster's dodge). Escape Artist is very helpful for Assassination Rogues since their mobility is very lackluster, plus it allows them to save their Trinket cooldown for Stuns, Blinds, or other forms of crowd control rather than waste it on a root or slow.

-Worgen
Darkflight (Instant, 2 min cooldown): Activates your true form, increasing current movement speed by an additional 40% for 10 sec.
Viciousness: Increases critical strike chance by 1%.

Comments:
Viciousness is of hardly any use, and given the fact that Rogues have a 1 minute Sprint, Darkflight is lackluster at best; Gnome's Escape Artist would be better for mobility than a Worgen's Darkflight.

Conclusion of Alliance Races:

Human = two damage increasing trinkets.
Dwarf = can ensure re-stealth.
Night Elf = second vanish.
Gnome = improved mobility.
Worgen = a mediocre sprint.

In terms of utility, I rate them as follows:
Night Elf > Dwarf ≥ Gnome > Worgen > Human

In terms of damage, I rate them as follows:
Human > Gnome > Worgen > Night Elf > Dwarf
Edited by Acann on 1/6/2012 8:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
b. Horde

-Orc
Blood Fury (Instant, 2 min cooldown): Increases attack power by 1169. Lasts 15 sec.

Hardiness: Duration of Stun effects reduced by an additional 15%.

Comments:
The attack power bonus is a slight damage increase, and Hardiness could go a long way against a stun-heavy class or team composition.

-Undead
Cannibalize (5 yd range, 2 min cooldown): When activated, regenerates 7% of total health and mana every 2 sec for 10 sec. Only works on Humanoid or Undead corpses within 5 yds. Any movement, action, or damage taken while Cannibalizing will cancel the effect.

Will of the Forsaken (Instant, 2 min cooldown): Removes any Charm, Fear and Sleep effect. This effect shares a 30 sec cooldown with other similar effects.

Comments:
Cannibalize is only useful in Non-Rated Battlegrounds. Will of the Forsaken acts in a similar way to Every Man for Himself (Human Racial), but the downside is in that it shares a 30 second cooldown with Cataclysmic Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity. You could use Will of the Forsaken on a Fear, and now there is a 30 second window in which you're vulnerable to certain crowd controlling effects, but after 30 seconds you can then use your trinket for another crowd control effect that comes your way, so keep that in mind if considering the Undead.

-Troll
Beast Slaying: Damage dealt versus Beasts increased by 5%.

Berserking (Instant, 3 min cooldown): Increases your attack and casting speed by 20% for 10 sec.

Da Voodoo Shuffle: Reduces the duration of all movement impairing effects by 15%. Trolls be flippin' out mon!

Throwing Specialization (Requires Thrown): Your chance to critically hit with Throwing Weapons is increased by 1%.

Comments:
Beast Slaying gives you a damage increase against Hunter's pets and Druid's in Cat or Bear form. Berserking is a solid damage increase racial, as Assassination Rogues' damage revolves heavily around poison application. Da Voodoo Shuffle can help with your mobility, albeit in a small way, and Throwing Specialization won't likely impact your damage output very much.

-Blood Elf
Arcane Torrent (Instant, 2 min cooldown): Silence all enemies within 8 yards for 2 sec and restores 15 of your Energy. Non-player victim spellcasting is also interrupt for 3 sec.

Comments:
Arcane Torrent is useful if you need a quick silence to land a kill and don't want to waste your Vanish cooldown just so you can Garrote; it also helps pool your energy.

-Goblin
Rocket Barrage (30 yd range, 2 min cooldown): Launches your belt rockets at an enemy, dealing (1 + level * 2) fire damage.

Rocket Jump (2 min cooldown): Activates your rocket belt to jump forward. Other effects which slow the rate of falling cannot be used within 10 sec after using this ability.

Time is Money: Cash in on a 1% increase to attack and casting speed.

Comments:
Arguably the best Horde Race for Assassination Rogues because you have a gap closer; the Rocket Barrage may help with keeping other Rogues in combat, and the 1% increased attack speed is a solid damage increase.

Conclusion of Horde Races:

Orc = Stunned a bit less, Attack Power racial
Undead = High risk/reward second trinket
Troll = Snared a bit less, Attack Speed racial
Blood Elf = AoE Silence, Small energy refund
Goblin = Gap closer

In terms of utility, I rate them as follows:
Goblin > Blood Elf > Undead > Troll > Orc

In terms of damage, I rate them as follows:
Goblin > Troll > Orc > Blood Elf > Undead
Edited by Acann on 1/4/2012 9:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
II. Professions

There are three routes to take when choosing professions: maximum damage, maximum gathering for gold, or a middle ground between the two.

a. Gathering

-Herbalism
Lifeblood (2 min cooldown): An instant heal (roughly 1k), and grants 240 haste rating for 20 sec.

-Mining
+120 Stamina and you can farm/smelt ore.

-Skinning
+80 Critical Strike Rating (0.45%) and you can skin for leathers and hides.

b. Crafting

-Alchemy
Flask of Enhancement

-Blacksmithing
Socket Bracer creates one additional socket, and Socket Gloves creates one additional socket; +80 of any stat. (Blacksmithing currently grants the most due to the recent release of the new gems, for example: Delicate Queen's Garnet in both sockets will grant +100 Agility, but keep in mind that other professions may catch up in future patches.)

-Enchanting
You may enchant both of your rings with +40 Agility, granting +80 Agility in total.

-Engineering
You may tinker your gloves, which allows you to increase your Agility by 480 for 10 sec. every minute (it averages out to +80 Agility).

+130 Agility and +25 Mastery rating to shoulder armor. (+80 Agility).

-Jewelcrafting
x3 Delicate Chimera's Eye. (+81 Agility, but if you have access to the new gems, it's only +51 Agility).

-Leatherworking
+130 Agility to Bracers (+80 Agility).

-Tailoring
Embroider your cloak, causing damaging melee and ranged attacks to sometimes increase your attack power by 1000 for 15 sec. (Equivalent to +80 Agility, damage-wise).

Best Maximum Damage Professions:

Blacksmithing > Engineering > Alchemy = Enchanting = Leatherworking > Inscription > Tailoring

Best Middle Ground Professions:

Blacksmithing/Mining = Engineering/Mining = Alchemy/Herbalism

Best Gathering Professions:

Herbalism > Mining > Skinning
Edited by Acann on 1/5/2012 9:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
III. Talents

a. Assassination

Tier 1:
-Coup de Grace 3/3 (Required)
-Lethality 3/3 (Required)

Tier 2:
-Ruthlessness 2/3 (Situational) or Blackjack 2/2 (Situational), *See Below
-Quickening 2/2 (Required)
-Puncturing Wounds 3/3 (Required)

Tier 3:
-Deadly Brew 2/2 (Required)
-Cold Blood 1/1 (Required)
-Vile Poisons 3/3 (Required)

Tier 4:
-Deadened Nerves 3/3 (Required)
-Seal Fate 2/2 (Required)

Tier 5:
-Overkill 1/1 (Required)
-Master Poisoner 1/1 (Required)

Tier 6:
-Cut to the Chase 3/3 (Required)
-Venomous Wounds 2/2 (Required)

Tier 7:
-Vendetta 1/1 (Required)

*Blackjack is ideal for 2v2 Arena, Non-Rated Battlegrounds, and Duels.
*Ruthlessness is ideal for 3v3 Arena, 5v5 Arena, and Rated Battlegrounds.

b. Combat

Tier 1:
-Improved Recuperate 2/2 (Required)

c. Subtlety

Tier 1:
-Nightstalker 2/2 (Required)
-Relentless Strikes 3/3 (Required)

Tier 2:
-Elusiveness 2/2 (Required)

IV. Glyphs

a. Prime
Glyph of Mutilate (Required)
Glyph of Rupture (Required)
Glyph of Vendetta (Situational)
Glyph of Slice and Dice (Situational)

b. Major
Glyph of Garrote (Required)
Glyph of Blind (Situational)
Glyph of Fan of Knives (Situational)
Glyph of Cloak of Shadows (Situational)
Glyph of Sprint (Situational)
Glyph of Vanish (Situational)

Glyph of Fan of Knives could be a possible avenue to take if maintaining snares is an issue, or if perhaps you're being kited quite frequently.

Glyph of Cloak of Shadows is a solid glyph choice due to Cloak of Shadows and Combat Readiness sharing cooldown; most ideal in 5v5 Arena and Rated Battlegrounds.

Glyph of Sprint helps if you're having trouble with your mobility (which most Assassination Rogues do); most ideal in 2v2 Arena, Non-Rated Battlegrounds, and Rated Battlegrounds.

Glyph of Vanish enhances your ability to avoid getting killed, which is somewhat lacking with having no Cheat Death; most ideal in 2v2 Arena, 3v3 Arena, 5v5 Arena, and Rated Battlegrounds.

c. Minor
Glyph of Distract (Required)
Glyph of Safe Fall (Ideal)
Glyph of Blurred Speed (Ideal)
Edited by Acann on 1/6/2012 9:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
V. Stats

a. Primary

-Agility

b. Secondary

-Critical Strike
-Expertise
-Haste
-Hit
-Mastery

c. Stat Priorities

[5% Hit ≥ 195 Spell Penetration ≥ 4200 Resilience] - Required
[Mastery > 10% Haste ≥ 20 Expertise > Critical Strike] - Recommended

VI. Gems

a. Meta

Agile Shadowspirit Diamond

b. Red Socket

Delicate Queen's Garnet - If you can afford it.
Delicate Inferno Ruby

c. Yellow Socket

Adept Lava Coral - If you can afford it.
Adept Ember Topaz
Deft Lava Coral - If you can afford it.
Deft Ember Topaz
Lucent Lava Coral - If you can afford it.
Lucent Ember Topaz

d. Blue Socket

Stormy Deepholm Iolite - If you can afford it.
Stormy Ocean Sapphire
Infused Elven Peridot - If you can afford it.
Shattered Elven Peridot - If you can afford it.
Vivid Elven Peridot - If you can afford it.
Vivid Dream Emerald

e. Prismatic Socket

Delicate Queen's Garnet - If you can afford it.
Delicate Inferno Ruby

VII. Enchants

-Helm Arcanum of Vicious Agility
-Shoulder Greater Inscription of Vicious Agility
-Back Enchant Cloak - Greater Spell Piercing
-Chest Enchant Chest - Mighty Resilience or Enchant Chest - Peerless Stats
-Wrist Enchant Bracer - Agility
-Gloves Enchant Gloves - Haste or Enchant Gloves - Greater Mastery
-Legs Dragonscale Leg Armor
-Feet Enchant Boots - Major Agility
-Main Hand Enchant Weapon - Landslide or Enchant Weapon - Hurricane
-Off Hand Pyrium Weapon Chain

VIII. Poisons

a. Main Hand

Wound Poison

b. Off Hand

Deadly Poison

c. Thrown

Mind-Numbing Poison

IX. Team Compositions

a. 2v2

-Priest/Rogue
-Mage/Rogue
-Hunter/Rogue
-Feral/Rogue
-SubRogue/MutRogue

b. 3v3

-Priest/Mage/Rogue
-Rogue/Lock/Shaman
-Hunter/Rogue/Priest

c. 5v5 (To be determined)
Edited by Acann on 1/6/2012 8:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
X. Sample Builds

-ilvl 390 Ruthless Gear (Haste Build)
http://chardev.org/?profile=307537

10.10% Haste
5.17% Hit
19.08% Critical Strike
4/4 Expertise
10.33 Mastery
195 Spell Penetration
4436 Resilience

-ilvl 390 Ruthless Gear (Exp/Mastery Build)
http://chardev.org/?profile=308680

1.24% Haste
5.21% Hit
19.61% Critical Strike
20/20 Expertise
13.15 Mastery
195 Spell Penetration
4496 Resilience

(Note: Some of the enchants may be replaced with Agility/Mastery depending on if you wish to use such enchants on Ruthless Gear and/or have the finances.)

-ilvl 403 Cataclysmic Gear (Haste Build)
http://chardev.org/?profile=307546

10.14% Haste
5.05% Hit
21.83% Critical Strike
4/4 Expertise
12.63 Mastery
196 Spell Penetration
4832 Resilience

ilvl 403 Cataclysmic Gear (Exp/Mastery Build)
http://chardev.org/?profile=308693

1.42% Haste
5.23% Hit
22.61% Critical Strike
20/20 Expertise
15.07 Mastery
196 Spell Penetration
4867 Resilience
Edited by Acann on 1/6/2012 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Reserved.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Reserved
Reply Quote
pvp assassination eh
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
please determine Team Compositions except RMP !!! thanks :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
1st page!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
If anyone has suggestions on Team Compositions, feel free to give your input, thanks.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Rogue
Basically this is a how-to-build/gear/gem/enchant/reforge-your-rogue for Assassination PvP Guide?
Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue
01/05/2012 12:39 PMPosted by Kayra
Basically this is a how-to-build/gear/gem/enchant/reforge-your-rogue for Assassination PvP Guide?

I dunno, I read the first post and thought it more of a "You're too lazy to read tool-tips, so I'm going to type out what they mean and you follow me" sorta guide.

Perhaps I should read the rest... :S
Edited by Sheevah on 1/5/2012 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Rogue
01/05/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Sheevah

I dunno, I read the first post and thought it more of a "You're too lazy to read tool-tips, so I'm going to type out what they mean and you follow me" sorta guide.

Perhaps I should read the rest... :S

It's stats priorities and optimal enchants and gear.
Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue
01/05/2012 12:46 PMPosted by Kayra
It's stats priorities and optimal enchants and gear.

Meh, nothing that interests me, then.

I do have to say that I'm a bit startled that a rogue, which I have never seen on these forums, comes in and makes a guide for a spec as an introduction to the community, while neglecting to give any background as to why he/she is qualified to be giving out advice...
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Rogue
01/05/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Sheevah
I do have to say that I'm a bit startled that a rogue, which I have never seen on these forums, comes in and makes a guide for a spec as an introduction to the community, while neglecting to give any background as to why he/she is qualified to be giving out advice...

This is like the fifth one this month?

At least this one looks as if he's giving out accurate information.
Reply Quote
01/05/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Sheevah

I'm startled that a level 10 rogue is basing an opinion of whether the info contained in this "guide" is of any value based on the following facts:

A: level 10 rogue has never seen the poster on the forums (lol).
B: level 10 rogue did not read the guide to see if it is even correct, or incorrect.

There is no forum fan club, that's your imagination at work. Any person from any class can post on any forum, about almost any topic. The forums belong to Blizzard. There is no ring to kiss for the privilege of posting here.

Secondly, read the guide and make a determination from the facts contained within as to the guide's relevance or lack thereof.

Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue
01/05/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Apex

I'm startled that a level 10 rogue is basing an opinion of whether the info contained in this "guide" is of any value based on the following facts:

A: level 10 rogue has never seen the poster on the forums (lol).
B: level 10 rogue did not read the guide to see if it is even correct, or incorrect.

There is no forum fan club, that's your imagination at work. Any person from any class can post on any forum, about almost any topic. The forums belong to Blizzard. There is no ring to kiss for the privilege of posting here.

Secondly, read the guide and make a determination from the facts contained within as to the guide's relevance or lack thereof.

-I did not say anything to discredit the guide for the content contained within.

-Whether you choose to admit it or not, the people on this forum gain respect over time for their contributions.

-The value of this guide is limited to me, as I don't use Mut for PvP

-Having a nobody show up and pass out information without providing a background as to what they've accomplished is a bad move, regardless of how you look at it. Can they do it? Yes. Is it any better than a high school math teacher offering a guide to physics for Stephen Hawking to look over? No.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]