Terrible Fairy Tales

90 Draenei Warrior
Back when we were all younger, I'ma assume we all loved ourselves some Fairy Tales. Wonderful, magical stories that entertained our imaginations were always a delight. But I know as I got older, I would look back on some of them with a bit more scrutiny, and what I saw did not sit well with me. So here I am, asking all of you: what are some terrible Fairy Tales, at least in your eyes?

Mine has to be Jack and the Beanstalk. This is a horrible story in my eyes, because the villain is PRAISED for what he does! No, not the Giant; JACK.

Jack goes up the Beanstalk and INVADES the home of the Giant. He doesn't just knock and say, "Hey man, I'm kinda lost up here in these clouds, think you can give me some directions?" No. Instead, he starts looting the place like the yahoo he is. Understandably, when the Giant then discovers Jack inside HIS HOME without HIS PERMISSION stealing HIS STUFF he does what ANY home owner would do in his situation; kick !@# and take names. And what does Jack do? HE KILLS THE GIANT!

I've told this story to friends and acquaintances, and a few of them have said that the Giant had stolen that stuff that was in his castle and was the one responsible for the depression gripping Jack's little area of the countryside... but nowhere in ANY of the renditions I've read/heard of Jack and the Beanstalk mentioned just that. Just that Jack found a castle in the sky, and decided to loot it. If they had mentioned it during all those tellings, I wouldn't be having this problem.

But anyways, that's my two cents. How about you guys?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Try reading the original Little Mermaid sometime. Or The Steadfast Tin Soldier. Incredibly depressing tales.

Also, satirisations on the morality of Little Red Riding Hood, Three Little Pigs, and Jack and the Beanstalk have been done fairly often in modern literature and film.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Original tales can be extraordinarily depressing and violent before being Disneyified. If you like comic books, DC's Vertigo label does a wonderful take on modern themes of faerie tales called Fables. In a nutshell, lots and lots of faerie tale characters (Snow White, the Big Bad Wolf, Beauty and her Beast, etc) end up fleeing their own lands and dimensions when the BBEG's armies sweep through their worlds and force them into exile in the real world. They end up in New York where they establish a hidden society that's continued through into the modern day.
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
In some versions of Sleeping Beauty, it required something more intimate than a kiss to wake her...

Related, Neil Gaiman (Sandman, American Gods, Coraline, Graveyard Book) wrote a delightfully wicked twist on Snow White:
http://www.holycow.com/dreaming/stories/snow-glass-apples/
Reply Quote
84 Worgen Druid
OP,

That giant in most renditions would only eat human flesh, that is what the whole Fee fie fo fum rhyme is about. In older versions he kept a dungeon full of people like cattle for slaughter. Basically he was a monster who deserved what he got.

Over the years most fairy tales have been sweetened up for the consumption of children, or perhaps dumbed down would be a better way to put it. A lot of the more grizzly details are removed. These are the stories you have been reading.

Try to find some of the older books, pre-1900, or some of the newer books that are faithful to the older renditions of the tales. They make much more interesting reading.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I've always found Little Red Riding Hood to be seriously messed up. Even when I was little and getting the "happy" version of it, it just didn't sit right with me.

I also hate most Disney versions of fairy tales. They just highlight girls with no minds of their own who can't do anything for themselves. Beauty and the Beast and Rapunzel are my exceptions there.

I just don't like that we've gone from "omg people told kids that?!?" to "awww, isn't it cute how we teach our little girls that they can't do anything for themselves and need a man to do it for them." Drives me up a wall. I'm pretty traditional and some would even say old-fashioned in a lot of ways but by no means should little girls be taught it is okay to grow up weak minded and generally pathetic.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I've always found Little Red Riding Hood to be seriously messed up. Even when I was little and getting the "happy" version of it, it just didn't sit right with me.

I also hate most Disney versions of fairy tales. They just highlight girls with no minds of their own who can't do anything for themselves. Beauty and the Beast and Rapunzel are my exceptions there.

I just don't like that we've gone from "omg people told kids that?!?" to "awww, isn't it cute how we teach our little girls that they can't do anything for themselves and need a man to do it for them." Drives me up a wall. I'm pretty traditional and some would even say old-fashioned in a lot of ways but by no means should little girls be taught it is okay to grow up weak minded and generally pathetic.

Not all Disney movies are like that! I happen to love Aladdin and the Little Mermaid and both are helmed by females that have a mind of their own. I guess when I should say I'm a Disney freak I mean for those two lol

I grew up watching things like this as well as a variety of other things. I don't think that Disney movies are teaching girls to be helpless. People do have the capability of having minds of their own and choosing if they want to be the helpless damsel or not. Children should never be taught what to think, they should be taught how to think. I think it's important to be a well-rounded individual and have exposure to many different elements in the world and it is ok to be both the heroine as well as the damsel.

As far as what the topic was about. I'm not sure which fairy tale I would pick as a lot of them are twisted.
Edited by Naryu on 1/21/2012 5:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
In some versions of Sleeping Beauty, it required something more intimate than a kiss to wake her...

Related, Neil Gaiman (Sandman, American Gods, Coraline, Graveyard Book) wrote a delightfully wicked twist on Snow White:

There's also a series of anthologies edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling based on fairy tales...I can't find it in my local bookstore anymore, but I've seen some volumes at the used bookstore.

01/11/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Holymoo

The thing about the older films is that they're also a product of their time. Live action films from the 30s to the 60s didn't have many empowering female role models either. But Malificent was a BAMF.

OT, Goldilocks. Little sneak. Who breaks into someone's house, eats their porridge, and takes a nap in their bed? Who does that!?
Edited by Ajuul on 1/23/2012 8:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
01/23/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Ajuul
But Malificent was a BAMF

Agree, 100%. The only Disney Villain, as far as I know, to swear in an animated Disney movie AND she wasn't like, full-blown RAWRINYOURFACE evil. She was cool, collected, actually somewhat NICE if it weren't for the fact that she were the Mistress of All Evil. Easily my favorite Disney Villain.

01/23/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Ajuul
OT, Goldilocks. Little sneak. Who breaks into someone's house, eats their porridge, and takes a nap in their bed? Who does that!?

One must wonder what sort of life of crime Goldilocks led after the Three Little Bears incident. The world may never know.

Edit: In fact, I remember reading a fun story someone posted about their trip to Disney World about Maleficent. The person portraying Maleficent was returning to the employee area when someone in the crowd nearby began to heckle her. Rather than just walk away, she turned, faced him, and hissed in ultimate Disney Villain fashion, causing the heckler to stumble backwards and fall on his butt. She then smiled, swept up her cloak, and made her exit to thunderous applause from nearby onlookers.

GG, Maleficent. GG.
Edited by Yinian on 1/24/2012 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
84 Worgen Druid
One must wonder what sort of life of crime Goldilocks led after the Three Little Bears incident. The world may never know.

I believe Goldilocks was caught and eaten by a pack of rabid marmosets not far from the bears cottage.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
01/26/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Sædra

I believe Goldilocks was caught and eaten by a pack of rabid marmosets not far from the bears cottage.

Helluva way to go.
Reply Quote
58 Worgen Druid
I actually think The little mermaid was disturbing 'cause in the end she didn't get the prince, she ended up killing herself.
What most people don't know about their Fairy Tales is that:
1.- Pinnocchio ends up killing Jiminy Cricket with a Hammer and he didn't turned his classmate onto donkeys, he f**n set them on fire xD
2.- Cinderella's Ugly sister actually cut off some slices of her feet (I recall it was her heels) to fit on Cinderella's shoes D:
3.- I recall Goldilocks jumped out of a window and broke her neck o_O

anyway, all of this fairy tales end/disney end made me remember this page a read not long ago

perhaps some of you would find it interesting xD

http://www.cracked.com/article_19336_6-beloved-characters-that-had-undiagnosed-mental-illnesses.html
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

... with skin as pale as snow, and lips of blood red...

Gaiman has said he prefers the older versions of fairy tales. Terry Pratchett often tries to remind people that elves weren't always overworked toy-making little people renowned for merely being happy all the time - and the Discworld is occasionally attacked by the elves/fae/sidhe from their 'parasite dimension'. Hogfather in particular is a look at the way we arrived at the modern image of 'Santa', from some victim being ritually hunted and killed at midwinter.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]