ilvl required for LFR and pvp items

100 Blood Elf Warlock
cant blizzard make pvp items ilvl count as 0?
i know LFR its a joke since u can avoid most mechanics but still, dont know about other players but i hate having to carry players that get into LFR with full pvp gear (i know skill > gear, but in my experience most pvp users that get into LFR have no idea how to use their class)
its not that its hard to get geared these days specially for LFR ilvl level
i hope blizz can add that apart from everything else they are working with LFR
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I've tanked HoT heroics in full 316 greens.

Gear does not matter for anything in Cata, only player skill. And for LFR? Even that's a stretch.

Player skill is more important that gear yes, but gear still does play a major role.

And if you tanked HoT in 316 greens i have two questions. How well geared was your healer and how much offspec gear did you have in your bags too fool the system into letting you into the dungeon.

Edit: Looked at your armory. No enchants or glyphs, i just got trolled.
Edited by Snooptrogg on 1/6/2012 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
No, because their value isn't 0. While one stat (resilience) is useless, the other stats on the gear are not. Nobody should be raiding in a PvP set, but as far as LFR or Heriocs, one or two pieces of high level PvP gear isn't the end of the world.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
as i said LFR has almost no challenge :p
but i still cant believe some dps still pull 10k for fights like ultraxion
i agree with skill above everything but almost always low dps players have tons of pvp gear on them
can be the other way around for sure good pve and still do terrible dps
but just wanted to throw a suggestion :)

indeed 1-2 pvp items its ok i agree but when they come in with full pvp gear its just... no :p
Edited by Sitka on 1/6/2012 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Also pvp gear on DPS is more than fine depending on the ilvl of the pvp gear. a lot of the 403/390 pvp gear has more than enough of the primary stat a dps wants to compensate and make it better than any gear found below 378.

I've seen full pvp geared players in LFR chasing top dps spots simply because they know what they are doing and they have their pvp geared reforged and gemmed properly for pve.
Edited by Snooptrogg on 1/6/2012 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I do perfectly fine in 100% pvp gear. I am working at building a pve set, but I have yet to be kicked from any heroic or raid for low dps. I believe it has more to do with knowledge of class / raid or dungeon than anything. If you take off ilvl on pvp items, you would only get longer que times, and many more whipes due to the mass of players needing to gear up using gear inferior to what pvp can offer a dps class. Just my opinion though...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Given the tuning of LFR DS, it is clear that the developers designed it around the "carrying" of players in full PVP gear along with a handful of disruptive players.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
I don't mind people using an item or two to boost enough to get to the required ilvl. A mail helm in my DKs bag was the only thing that got me in the first week, and I held my own. What scares me is when I look at healers and they are in full ungemmed/unenchanted PvP gear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I've tanked HoT heroics in full 316 greens.

Gear does not matter for anything in Cata, only player skill. And for LFR? Even that's a stretch.

Big whoop, I tanked Heroic DS on this toon with grays. Solo.

See, I can post random bullsh*t too!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
I did the dragon soul raid in LFR. It was the first one I joined. And yes, I had full PVP gear on at the time. Why? Because it got my Ilvl up enough to do the raid and I wanted to get it in before MoP. I have terrible luck with the RNG and have only after doing that raid managed to win rolls to start replacing that gear.

I can understand your frustration if you are a serious raider. but there are genuine reasons why a person might be raiding in PVP gear, and it may involve trying to replace said gear. And thankfully, in LFR, even a full PVP gearset doesn't seem to cripple the raid all that much.
Reply Quote
65 Orc Hunter
01/06/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Sitka
cant blizzard make pvp items ilvl count as 0?

Ilvl isnt some random number to just show off to your friends or for you to stare at and feel proud. Its used to give a piece of gear an item budget, that budget is how an item gets its stats. So with an ilvl of zero, that PvP piece would have zero stats on it. So no, they cant do that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
01/06/2012 12:12 PMPosted by Sitka
but i still cant believe some dps still pull 10k for fights like ultraxion

If bosses are dying, who cares?

You do realize these numbers only mean something if stuff is not dropping. They are not really intended to boost your ego. I mean you are more than welcome to think otherwise. But they are just temporary tools needed to feel rewarded (for some), and to do the next tier of content.

Why does it matter if there is lesser skilled among you? If stuff is dying.

Let me guess...

Items?

The loot rules are what they are and fair because Blizzard set them up. They are not perfect but they are what they are for a system/tool made to cater to the lesser skilled. And to those with schedules that make it hard to raid. But at least can feel like they still are. They are working on it, and I expect some improvements come 4.3.2 as been mentioned already by some Blue Post (you are more than welcome to search it up).

You have plenty of time to worry about that gear you are going to replace with greens. And if this is still not enough.

Just start your own groups.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
01/06/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Pucifer
If bosses are dying, who cares?

This I agree with. I was running End Time a week ago and after finishing the instance somebody made a scathing remark about my low dps. Admittedly, that boss always gives me worse dps than normal, but anyway. My response was simple.

"He's dead, we're not. What's the issue?"

It may not have been great dps, but without it, that group may not have made it.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
I was tanking some heroics the other day where a ret paladin came in wearing full S11 gear and topped the meters.

The gear is not useless. It isn't optimal, but no one should be worrying about min/maxing in heroics. If a player is performing poorly and wearing PvP gear; I assure you that it is not the PvP gear that is the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I was tanking some heroics the other day where a ret paladin came in wearing full S11 gear and topped the meters.

The gear is not useless. It isn't optimal, but no one should be worrying about min/maxing in heroics. If a player is performing poorly and wearing PvP gear; I assure you that it is not the PvP gear that is the problem.

Well for rets, honestly, I'm gimping the group by not having a full S11 set with the exception being any 384+ that I have.

Everyone is stuck on how PvP gear worked the last two expansions. With the change to primary stats this expansion, and how much more str, agi, and int add to your DPS than any primary stat will, for DPS and most healers, ilevel wins.

You guys need to realize, PvP gear is actually good now... especially when your alternative is 346 blues
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The gear is fine, and grinding honor to full s11 takes longer than farming a set of gear from the Twilight instances. PvE guy loses roll to PvP guy, trolls forum.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]