4.3.2 PTR and New File Optimization Tech

85 Night Elf Death Knight
Suddenly, reading up on the thread, I'm VERY glad I did all this "housekeeping" early this morning when I can actually GET the 1MB/sec my ISP promises me as a constant (HA!); the re-organizing apparently took 15 minutes and I guess I had to DL 4.3.2, and maybe some data I already had before because it got re-encoded, cause my computer was awfully slow for about an hour...but it finished and I'm not getting messages about corrupted data or not being able to find patch info or any of the habitual madness.

And yes, background DLing while you're trying to play WoW is just *expletive* hopeless, and I bless the day someone told me how to go in and set it so it only DLs once you've quit the game.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
It took a lot longer than the 15 minutes it said.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
If I were able to choose when wow decideed to 'optimize' itself it would be ok. I just don't like having to wait 30 minutes randomly to run WoW unexpectedly.

Fix it.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
If I were able to choose when wow decideed to 'optimize' itself it would be ok. I just don't like having to wait 30 minutes randomly to run WoW unexpectedly.

Fix it.

The servers are down right now. How does the wait inconvenience you?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
It might not, but it's taken longer than the '15' minutes. Most server maintenance take what, 30 minutes, an hour? Well the 'maintenance' has taken longer than that. I'm waiting for the 'progress' bar to move past 50% and have been for 30m.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
01/31/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Idej

I imagine this depends on your hard drive speed. I have a top notch SSD and it only took 2-3 minutes. Laptop or "Green" drives would probably take much longer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
First off, thank you Blizzard for making an attempt to optimize an otherwise very large installation. I noticed already a drop in the installation. Will this relate to an improvement in game performance? no idea, I'm not on an SSD like it seems some people are, however, any space gain that I didn't have before is great, and I won't complain about it. Second, Blizzard may have said it would take about 15 minutes, but please realize, the launcher is optimizing files on your pc. It can only go as fast as what your pc can handle and therefore may take longer than 15 minutes. Plus, currently, it's Tuesday, for as long as I can remember, this was blizzards patch day. So instead of getting angry that they are doing this ON TUESDAY, just be happy that after this many years they are still patching and working the game and haven't moved on to anything else. Just my opinion of course, but blizzard takes a lot of heat for this game and it's rare that I personally see actually get any credit. This optimization may be cosmetic, it may provide some performance boosts, however, regardless, Blizzard taking the time to optimize their installation isn't something they HAVE to do but I'm glad they are because I always make a backup of my installation so I am grateful for however small they can make it lol. Again, just my opinion but wanted to put it out there.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
01/05/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Sorchia
my only hope is this will help some of us who have computers that USED to run world of warcraft great and now suddenly do not. otherwise i stick with my original thesis, you need to reprint your system requirements on the box of world of warcraft to say requirements for 10 man raids and requirements for 25 man raids, because these are clearly different.

+rep .. my lappy can do 10 mans all day but put me in a 25 i cant heal .. i drop to 1 -2 fps and it's over for me .. this makes the raid finder usless .. maybe they will put a 10man raid finer in place so ppl with 1-2 year old systems and systems where the owner can't afford an upgrade can still take part .. my lappy is great for most stuff and i can't see paying 600 + for a new one to do raid finder .. /beg /please make it where there is a 10 man version or buy me a new pc so i can try it :)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage

I imagine this depends on your hard drive speed. I have a top notch SSD and it only took 2-3 minutes. Laptop or "Green" drives would probably take much longer.

Most people do not have SSDs and, they take a lot longer than the previous maintenances. They did not take several hours, just one or two at most on a bad day.
Edited by Armix on 1/31/2012 8:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
THANK YOU BLIZZARD!
Great add to the game =D
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Is there supposed to be a huge 14.9 Gig download with this?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
shouldnt be, the launcher is organizing and compressing files already installed
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
so it did this optimization for me and now i cant get past the login screen because after i put all my info in it says i need to select a realm like i had to the first time i logged in...but no realm options show up...is this an issue from the optimization or something else?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The servers are currently undergoing maintenance. They wont be available until around 11 PST. This is not a result of the optimization
Reply Quote
How exciting.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
01/05/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Øtaku
Can you provide any other Backend information about HOW this optimization happens? i, for example, have a defrag program set up to put all of the data in the world of warcraft directory at the beginning of the partitiion the data is on, to help improve preformance. is this new optimization a Defrag type setup? will it be cleaning out old, nonfunctional files?

Can you tell me what program you are using to do this?
Reply Quote
it takes FOREVER to reconfigure the game files, mine is only about 1/8th of the way done after 7 mins.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
This is taking forever, guess it's time to play Dark Souls again.
Edited by Jostar on 1/31/2012 9:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest

Fix it.

I am trying to get the patch installed before I go to work. I won't be home until 15 minutes before my raid. I can't install the damn patch because of this crap which is taking way more than 15 minutes. :-/ I had plenty of free space and really didn't want.

I had 400 GB free on my hard drive now I might not make it to my raid in time because of this unwanted/unneeded update.
Edited by Elliora on 1/31/2012 9:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

I am trying to get the patch installed before I go to work. I won't be home until 15 minutes before my raid. I can't install the damn patch because of this crap which is taking way more than 15 minutes. :-/ I had plenty of free space and really didn't want.

I had 400 GB free on my hard drive now I might not make it to my raid in time because of this unwanted/unneeded update.

Then run the launcher and go to work, once the optimization is complete it will download the patch and install. When you get home everything should be done.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]