Mages look weak in MoP

90 Orc Shaman
01/05/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Ràylenn
It seems like every other class is getting new survivability cooldowns and damage reduction and mages are losing theirs. Plus, other classes are getting new abilities that will make them mage killers 1v1.

Even if it did happen, which it won't, I wouldn't cry any tears for you.
85 Blood Elf Mage

- warlocks are getting an array of new defensive cooldowns that would make a prot warrior blush. If even half of them go live a warlock will be godmode 1v1 without even trying very hard

-soul link no longer baseline
-new soul link cuts healing done to us by the amount of damage reduced
-demon armor no longer has 30% bonus to healing
-you can no longer can have howl of terror, deathcoil & shadow fury at the same time (only one)
-siphon life removed

so... what the hell are you talking about?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/feature/talent-calculator#Va!012220
Thats what he's talking about.

Not saying I agree its time to start worrying yet, just that thats what he's talking about.
85 Blood Elf Mage
01/05/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Maleficia
Not everything has to be a troll.

People call anything they find unpleasant trolling now. Disagree with them? Troll. Point out a flaw in their reasoning? Troll. Tell them you didn't think their joke was funny? Troll. Expound on an idea or opinion they're not fond of? Troll.

It's pretty dumb how the word gets rampantly misused. A troll is someone who says/does things for the singular purpose of ticking people off and causing mayhem. They more often than not don't even mean the things they're saying, don't care about the discussion at hand and crave only attention and the satisfaction of destroying the original purpose of a discussion and harassing/irritating all those involved.

That's all. A troll isn't someone who disagrees with you. A troll isn't someone who made you angry (unless making you angry was their only goal and they contributed nothing to the discussion).

Shutup troll.
55 Undead Rogue
Mages crying ! News at 11!

Heh the class that has blatant nepotism attached to it, has held the 'MFC' (most favored class) status since Sunwell, has had Blizzard destroy the iconic features and feel of entire specs to protect this class and has for most of this game, been the dominant caster in PVE at end game, barring the end of BC. Pre-bc Fire Mages- Rolling ignites. ICC ... kept up with legendary wielding classes. Cata... more of the same.

Heh watching a mage cry, is like a rich man crying that his jet developed a tiny snag, that will prevent him from getting his booty call, 3 continents over. Mages crying about hunters and warlocks... priceless really. Warlocks have lost entire spells thanks to mages like Affix, whining in the past. Hunters.. well look where BM stands.
Edited by Bringsdeath on 1/5/2012 10:45 PM PST
100 Dwarf Paladin
I'm feeding this troll, I don't care!

See what abilities Ret have currently.

See several of those abilities taken away and being forced to chose between a few of them.

See Ret losing far more than you are. Delete your opening post, then walk away in shame.
11 Human Warlock

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/feature/talent-calculator#Va!012220
Thats what he's talking about.

Not saying I agree its time to start worrying yet, just that thats what he's talking about.

That's a horrible pvp selection..... The only thing that will be good for is duels

85 Blood Elf Mage
I'm feeding this troll, I don't care!

See what abilities Ret have currently.

See several of those abilities taken away and being forced to chose between a few of them.

See Ret losing far more than you are. Delete your opening post, then walk away in shame.
I think paladins would be happier if ret didn't exist. That said I don't know about OP, Balanced or UP in MoP. But in all honesty our talents are boring as hell compared to everyone.
Edited by Ceratisa on 1/5/2012 11:04 PM PST
1 Goblin Warrior
Warlocks are looking like a new blood dk on crack with a 40yard range lol.
85 Human Mage
01/05/2012 11:41 PMPosted by Runlax
Warlocks are looking like a new blood dk on crack with a 40yard range lol.

At least Warlocks won't have Vengeance.

@OP, wait for alpha/beta. You've read what the abilities do on paper but have no clue how they scale or how hard ANYTHING will hit for all practical purposes.
85 Draenei Shaman
About time Mages get a nerf. They should know how it feels to be a hunter once in a while. Must be the first real nerf ever =P and it probably isn't even that bad.
97 Human Warrior
It seems like every other class is getting new survivability cooldowns and damage reduction and mages are losing theirs. Plus, other classes are getting new abilities that will make them mage killers 1v1.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/feature/talent-calculator

A lot of people haven't noticed it, but frost armor loses its 15% physical damage reduction- that will be part of molten armor. And mages have to choose between mana shield and ice barrier. So every stab that the rogue makes will hit 15% harder and there will be one fewer shield to deal with it.

Compare that to:

- warlocks are getting an array of new defensive cooldowns that would make a prot warrior blush. If even half of them go live a warlock will be godmode 1v1 without even trying very hard.

- feral druids can spam shapeshift out of our roots once again, and they get healed for 20% of their health when they do so.

- hunters lose their minimum range, removing the one viable mage strategy for killling them, i.e. get in their face. And they will have 15% damage reduction from aspect of the hawk and will be healed for 15% of their health every time they disengage. MoP mage strategy for dealing with hunters = run.

- Warriors get double charge, so they can charge and then re-charge after we blink. Then they can pop a new ability called avatar which increases their damage and makes them immune to movement-impairing effects. I don't mind this one so much because warriors have been bad this expansion, but when you consider it with the other classes and it's hard to see who mages will have an easy time with.

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain.....as was said in hunter threads....someone has to be there.
97 Human Warrior
Didnt you hear? Ghostcrawler isnt going to be lead whatever-he-is in Panda Land.

Meaning Mages are getting gutted (in comparison to every other spec's balancing) by the new person to take the spot.

It's kalgan that played a mage, duh

learn to troll correctly

Um no...GC plays a frost mage...learn how to troll a troll.
1 Goblin Warrior
01/05/2012 11:58 PMPosted by Stupefy
At least Warlocks won't have Vengeance.

Yes full dmg all the time will be so much better lol.
90 Pandaren Shaman

It's kalgan that played a mage, duh

learn to troll correctly

Good news! Not everything that is based on false accusations is a troll! Stunning, I know.

There's actually these things called jokes. Not everything has to be a troll.

Fair enough, but people who say the same thing you did (and in the same manner) do it all the time when discussing mages, and I'm pretty sure that falls under the definition of trolling. Perhaps it's a sad commentary on myself or these forums or both that I assumed you were trolling, but hopefully I caused no offense.
85 Human Warrior
01/06/2012 07:33 AMPosted by Oaklander
- hunters lose their minimum range, removing the one viable mage strategy for killling them, i.e. get in their face. And they will have 15% damage reduction from aspect of the hawk and will be healed for 15% of their health every time they disengage. MoP mage strategy for dealing with hunters = run.

You mean that a mage will have to come up with some other strategy to kill a hunter other than getting in their face and spamming the lyrics of "Can't touch this" by MC Hammer?
I haven't played MoP, so I can't really say I have a solid strategy for dealing with every situation that's going to arise.

What I can say is that I'm going to have fun learning how to deal with each situation given the new tools at my disposal and the lack of some of the tools I've probably become entirely too dependent on.

I'll repeat that I'm glad Mages are getting changed (nerfed), it will promote creativity and perhaps force Mages to increase our level of skill in order to play effectively.
3 Blood Elf Mage
Wayyyy too soon to be making statements like X class is going to be weak in MoP. Let's at least wait till early beta to start discussing MoP balance.

01/06/2012 05:55 AMPosted by Wiegott
They should know how it feels to be a hunter once in a while.

Stay classy, hunters.
90 Human Mage
01/05/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Ciaro
Blizzard seems to disagree, as many of my posts have been deleted for trolling, like the one I made asking for spell travel times to be changed to lower silly effects like shatter combos. (A mage casts two spells, individually that would each break nova, but because of travel time weirdness, they both crit and benifit from mastery.)

They probably assumed it was a troll because that was the more charitable assumption they could make. Shatter Combos are the entire basis of the Frost playstyle, and have been since Vanilla. The devs put a great deal of effort in the past two expansions into attempting to duplicate (as nearly as possible) the feel of Shatter Combos in a raid environment so that the spec would play and feel the way it's meant to in PvE. The most recent dev blog explicitly states that Shatter Combos are what Frost is all about. So the assumption that someone suggesting they be removed is trolling is pretty reasonable.
65 Orc Hunter
Blizzard seems to disagree, as many of my posts have been deleted for trolling, like the one I made asking for spell travel times to be changed to lower silly effects like shatter combos. (A mage casts two spells, individually that would each break nova, but because of travel time weirdness, they both crit and benifit from mastery.)

They probably assumed it was a troll because that was the more charitable assumption they could make. Shatter Combos are the entire basis of the Frost playstyle, and have been since Vanilla. The devs put a great deal of effort in the past two expansions into attempting to duplicate (as nearly as possible) the feel of Shatter Combos in a raid environment so that the spec would play and feel the way it's meant to in PvE. The most recent dev blog explicitly states that Shatter Combos are what Frost is all about. So the assumption that someone suggesting they be removed is trolling is pretty reasonable.

I will say that I very recently tried frost PvE for the first time this xpac and its great. It just further enforces my wish for PvE and PvP to be fully separate because frost is a spec I would love to play even while raiding.
Edited by Coritaku on 1/6/2012 9:16 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin

I am sorry but I have to disagree. Mages don't look weak in MoP at all, they look like they will require more forethought and planning when leveling and more intuition and reflex when playing.

Also, you have the Armors wrong just a bit.

Frost Armor: Reduces movement speed by 30% and attack speed by 20% of attackers
Mage Armor: Reduces the duration of harmful magical effects by 35%
Molten Armor: Reduces the duration of harmful physical effects by 25%

None of them have direct damage mitigation. Frost Armor slows down attack speed and makes kiting against melee classes easier, Mage Armor helps deal with stuns/polymophs/silences/etc and Molten Armor helps deal with bleeds/poisons/etc

Also, you don't know what the glyphs are going to look like or how they're going to work and everything on MoP is currently "in beta" so it's all still under review.

Personally, I'm glad Mages are becoming slightly more vulnerable, maybe the bandwagon facerollers will find a new class to roll up.

Says the level 84...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]