DDoS Attack's?

(Locked)

85 Goblin Shaman
Doing Two's, about 5 games in we run into a shadow priest / resto sham comp at about 1800mmr to our 2.1kmmr . my dk jumps in and starts destroying the priest, when he is about to go down he gets disconnected, he is out for about 5 seconds and he gets back at it, he gets the priest down again and I get disconnected. and according to my partner they instantly swap to me when i shout out that i was disconnected from the game, i log back in and was already dead, my partner was then disconnected after i got back.

I know there are alot of dc issues as of late, but this has only happened vs this exact team, we faced them 4 times out of the night on multiple alts trying to get their cap, all with the same problem.
64 Tauren Death Knight
if you have a look at the bug report forum, a lot of people are experiencing disconnects in arena, which started today.
85 Goblin Shaman
Clearly stated that I had checked the forums, just found it beyond odd that we only experienced dc's against that team, and that team only.
Community Manager
A cursory look into this, Snixle, is showing me that this issue is not one-sided. While you may not have witnessed disconnections yourself, other teams also seem to be experiencing this issue, including the one you have reported.

I'm more inclined to believe that the disconnection issue that's being investigated might have to do with particular realms talking to each other in battlegrounds or arenas. Naturally, this would mean you'd experience similar results from the same team, as they'd be from the same realm. Mind you, this is purely conjecture, but I believe this is a matter best left to our Quality Assurance folks to investigate as a bug - there does not appear to be malicious intent behind these occurrences.
64 Tauren Death Knight
01/05/2012 09:28 PMPosted by Snixle
Clearly stated that I had checked the forums

I guess I'm going blind, because I certainly can't see any mention of you having checked the forum
85 Goblin Shaman

I know there are alot of dc issues as of late.

Guess not.
90 Human Warrior
Before you get all crazy and make a thread in the Customer Support forum, think about what you're saying. How would someone know where you were connecting from to cause you to disconnect?
85 Goblin Shaman
01/05/2012 10:24 PMPosted by Foulwind
Before you get all crazy and make a thread in the Customer Support forum, think about what you're saying. How would someone know where you were connecting from to cause you to disconnect?

As far as I can find the actual method is (apparently) very easy AND illegal, its quite simple to find on both youtube and google, a few guildies have suggested and claimed that this is the source of alot of their troubles in the higher brackets of arena's, the DDoS attack.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
That's odd.

AFAIK Blizzard disable responding to ICMP ping requests after a certain point in their network.

This would make DDoS attacks impossible as the traffic for the DDoS would never actually get to the server involved.

If you have credible proof of it then feel free to forward the links to hacks@blizzard.com so it can be investigated by Blizzard.

EDIT : Unless of course you are talking about DDoS attacks against the people connected in wow and not the wow servers themselves :|

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Edited by Bluspacecow on 1/5/2012 10:38 PM PST
80 Blood Elf Paladin
01/05/2012 10:27 PMPosted by Snixle
As far as I can find the actual method is (apparently) very easy AND illegal, its quite simple to find on both youtube and google, a few guildies have suggested and claimed that this is the source of alot of their troubles in the higher brackets of arena's, the DDoS attack.

Everything you see on the internet is true...

We're not trying to be mean to you (at least, I'm not), but DDoS attacks like you describe (targeted at one person) are not possible within WoW. We have seen DDoS attacks that crash an entire realm, or server farm, but it's impossible to target one person through WoW.
Edited by Madisón on 1/5/2012 10:38 PM PST
85 Goblin Shaman
01/05/2012 10:37 PMPosted by Madisón

Everything you see on the internet is true...

We're not trying to be mean to you (at least, I'm not), but DDoS attacks like you describe (targeted at one person) is not possible within WoW. We have seen DDoS attacks that crash an entire realm, or server farm, but it's impossible to target one person through WoW.

Ah, well perhaps I am being misled, but the team I am referring to now is at 74 and 3, wish they would at least look into it...
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
01/05/2012 10:37 PMPosted by Madisón
We're not trying to be mean to you (at least, I'm not), but DDoS attacks like you describe (targeted at one person) are not possible within WoW. We have seen DDoS attacks that crash an entire realm, or server farm, but it's impossible to target one person through WoW.

World of warcraft wouldn't be giving out their IP address no.

But if they are connected to something that someone can exploit to get their IP address and a DDoS attack is directed towards that IP address then yes possibly.

And it would knock out the person's entire internet and not just disconnect them from wow only.

Depends on the networking set up of the person being targeted.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Edited by Bluspacecow on 1/5/2012 10:43 PM PST
80 Blood Elf Paladin
01/05/2012 10:38 PMPosted by Snixle
Ah, well perhaps I am being misled, but the team I am referring to now is at 74 and 3, wish they would at least look into it...

If you wish to report any suspected foul play, then open a Support Ticket.

But having a good Arena record is not really proof of anything.

01/05/2012 10:40 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
But if they are connected to something that someone can exploit to get their IP address and a DDoS attack is directed towards that IP address then yes possibly.

That's why I said "through WoW". ;)

A little gray-er, but I doubt there would be enough time in an Arena match (that seems chock full of action, and not hanging out inside a wall) to be able to locate someone to knock out their internet.

Anyway, given that there is currently a known issue, and it revolves around certain realms communicating with other certain realms, there's nothing to indicate anything more sinister than this issue. Chasing red herrings does no one any good. (Not directed at you Blu, just in general.) ;)
85 Goblin Shaman
If you wish to report any suspected foul play, then open a Support Ticket.

But having a good Arena record is not really proof of anything.

It's all a matter of understanding that a resto shaman shadow priest team should not be sitting at 2.3k right now, is all im saying
80 Blood Elf Paladin
01/05/2012 10:53 PMPosted by Snixle
It's all a matter of understanding that a resto shaman shadow priest team should not be sitting at 2.3k right now, is all im saying

There is nothing to say that any combination of classes and spec cannot be winning Arena matches. That, quite frankly, is even more ridiculous than the primary focus of this thread.

There's always a possibility of something nefarious (although there's nothing to be gained from it in the 2's bracket beyond points). But accusing someone should really have more evidence than what you've said so far. I feel you're grasping at straws just to explain why you lost a match or two.

You know how to have your concerns heard, though.
66 Undead Mage
I knew a guy who was so paranoid of ddos attacks while in WoW that he said he used a dial up modem to connect to Vent so his cable Internet IP address wouldn't show up on the Vent server.
50 Tauren Druid
01/05/2012 10:27 PMPosted by Snixle

Its not possible to cause another player to "lag" its simply not possible to perform a DDoS attack in the matter you describe.

Those videos are scams.

01/05/2012 10:53 PMPosted by Snixle

The shaman might not have always had those talents.

This fear is misplaced....The amount of traffic required to even cause a blimp just isn't in the realm of possibility for a regular player.
66 Gnome Warlock
DDoS = Distributed Denial of Service

This is when multiple computers are used to send requests to the target (usually a server) to cause the target to run slow or crash.

This would most likely not be used to target a WoW player to gain Arena advantage due to the resources and machines needed to use it.

If anything it would be a DoS (Denial of Service) attack. However they would only be able to use this against you if they had either your IP Address or your MAC Address. Without either of these it is impossible to target your computer. Also the only way to get these from someone playing WoW is for them to give it out.

I'm studying computer and network security. So before trying to lay blame some research would have been in order. Google is your friend. :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]