1) No items equipped other than White or Gray items.
2) No heirlooms
3) No talent points- no specialization - you may train class abilities
4) No professions, primary or secondary, other than First Aid.
5) No food or water above vendor-quality white items.
6) No groups- no BG's, no instances, no raids, no quest groups. No guilds.
7) No enchants, scrolls, potions/elixirs, or glyphs.
8) No outside financial or equipment assistance (no gold or bags from other toons)
9) THE BIG ONE - if you die, ever, you delete that toon and start over at lvl 1
I haven't followed all the rules but I did level this character up to 74-76 with only white and gray items. I finally started using blues and greens, and an occasional party, cause I was unable to solo the group quests I needed to finish off the Outlands quest achievements.
Some of the rules were bent but I think I observed the spirit of most of them.
#3 - I certainly did assign all my talent points.
#4 - Not really sure what advantage Herbalism, Skinning, Cooking, Fishing, Archaeology would provide, although Archaeology did provide a few levels of experience all by itself. And while I may have made some bandages I don't know that I ever used any.
#6 - Am in a guild but that's mostly just for the social company while I play.
#7 - Have no enchants but the items I have used are of white quality.
#9 - I have died MANY times. (less than twice a level, and most of them recently)
I just started questing in Dragonblight (at 80) so I expect to make 85 before I leave Northrend, or be very close. If it wasn't for group quests in Netherstorm and Shadowmoon Valley that I needed to do to get the zone achievements I'd still be wearing my grays and whites. In fact I think I have yet to find a group quest in Northrend (Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord) so maybe I'll go back to that gear (although not sure if I have the patience or desire anymore).
Certainly think this is possible if you are cautious and have the patience. Early levels are easy to get through so you can build up a level buffer and quest in lower level zones. Not much of a problem in whites and grays when you have 10 levels on the mobs, although it only takes one bad situation to ruin everything.