Ghost saber still here?

(Locked)

33 Draenei Hunter
Or is it gone?

As a returning hunter player, one of the first places I look for pets is Darkshore for that ghost saber. It's the one that drops off those cat figurines among the ruins in the northeastern area. Now with the Cata-induced changes, I'm not seeing any more of these cat figurines. Heck, the entire area is changed! Is the ghost saber still available and tamable?
85 Night Elf Hunter
I believe it is still available.
33 Draenei Hunter
01/09/2012 01:19 PMPosted by Bikini
I believe it is still available.

Then there's hope. I guess I just have to keep looking. And looking....
85 Night Elf Hunter
It's still there. About a week or so ago, I was flying over the area on an alt (I forget what I was doing though). Just for the hell of it, I dropped down to open a few statues. The first two statues I opened spawned a saber. This lead me to believe that maybe they upped the spawn rate. But the next three statues didn't spawn a cat. Then just last night I was flying over on another alt. I opened three but no cat. So I don't think the spawn rate changed now. But it does still spawn.
yes. the cat figurines are just a little harder to find now.
Edited by Bownd on 1/9/2012 4:09 PM PST
86 Blood Elf Hunter
Wolver, the rate is the same I beleive. RNG is RNG. A while back I decided I wanted one again, took me..probly a dozen or so statues before it spawned. But yar, as Bownd said...they are just a bit harder to find now.
85 Night Elf Hunter

01/09/2012 08:57 PMPosted by Trixxia
Wolver, the rate is the same I beleive. RNG is RNG. A while back I decided I wanted one again, took me..probly a dozen or so statues before it spawned. But yar, as Bownd said...they are just a bit harder to find now.

Oh I know random is random. I mostly just found it odd that I found 2 in a row while on my warlock. But yeah, it does seem like there's less to find now.

As for tips, I didn't think to post any before. But here's a few.
• Turn your volume up so you can hear that stealth sound.
• You can go the extra mile and enter the NPC ID# (3619) into NPC Scan.
• Don't even bother opening any statues near the night elf NPCs.
They WILL kill it and it would annoy the hell out of you if one actually did spawn off that statue.
• Don't do more than one hour at a time. Trust me on this.
If one hasn't popped by then, you're better off just taking a break from it.

Anyway, good luck.
85 Troll Hunter
tamed yesterday on lowbie alt, 11 statues before spawn.
33 Draenei Hunter
15 statues and counting. I just wish these would spawn a bit quicker. Thanks for the hint about not opening any near the elves. As many suggested, I'm limiting the time I'm devoting to getting this. Committed as I am to getting it, this kind of farming is just not a good way to spend game time.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Random is random. One of my guildies hunted for 6 hours for one. Then I helped a friend get one in about 5 statues and got one for me in 15 minutes. So he went back. Still took him over 1 hour :3

There was much muttering going on.
It's still available, still random on when it spawns and the statues are harder to find, but it's still one of the coolest, easiest to obtain rares in the game.

I got Kye's on the second statue, my draenei got hers on the first, but I have friends who it took 4-5 hours.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Its nice to see some still have interest in this amazing looking pet. Before Spirit Beasts...they were the cat to have if you wanted that style of pet. I still have mine on both hunters after all these years.

Grats on the tames.

Bob
85 Night Elf Hunter
01/10/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Kyetah
It's still available, still random on when it spawns and the statues are harder to find, but it's still one of the coolest, easiest to obtain rares in the game.

It's not a rare, it's a spawn. As far as spawns go, it's the least controllable.

As far as taming this cat goes, between this toon and another, I've tamed this thing several times. A few times, I've got it on the 4th statue. One time I farmed for 3 or 4 hours and got nothing. Then a week later, got it in minutes. I've seen it spawn on the 1st and 2nd statue as well. But of course those were times that I wasn't going for a tame. So yeah, it's extremely random.
33 Draenei Hunter
I'm happy to say that the ghost saber finally spawned for me. Here is what it took:
18 non-spawns (it popped on the 19th)
Spawn points...north and east of that sunken troll temple
Total time...about 1hr 40mins (3 sessions of about 30 mins each)

Other thoughts:
Definitely easier with a mount.
Going counter-clockwise around the area helps as the ruins tend to face to the northwest, so more nooks and crannies are quickly visible.
If you are a miner, lots of copper nodes.
Find a good tune to play while doing this as the constant tink-tink-tink of the trolls working in the ruins will drive you nuts.
The saber does pass out and die after five minutes. Stay calm. Don't panic. Hit your Revive Pet button and it comes back to stay.
The one drawback is the sound it makes when it goes Stealth, exactly the sound of a Rogue. On a PVP server where we are conditioned to react immediately to that sound, it can be unnerving the first few times as you think that a rogue is about to open up on you. I've since turned off that ability.

Thanks for all the hints and replies. Good luck to all who go after this notorious and (in)famous pet.

Next up, what am I going to name this saber....
85 Night Elf Hunter
01/11/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Tchaikovski
The one drawback is the sound it makes when it goes Stealth, exactly the sound of a Rogue. On a PVP server where we are conditioned to react immediately to that sound, it can be unnerving the first few times as you think that a rogue is about to open up on you. I've since turned off that ability.

All cats (and spirit beasts) make that sound. It's not just the ghost saber.

Grats on finally getting it. RNG wasn't too bad on you.

I don't know if they ever fixed it. But try to take it swimming sometime (not underwater but at the surface).
It used to be kind of funny.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]