The Fatal Flaw with the gear inflation model

60 Gnome Mage
This is how I see the choice to play WoW right now:

Choice A:
You can play WoW and have fun, accomplish things and get achievements.

Choice B:
You can wait a few years, and do all of the above and get the same rewards but it'll be much easier and faster to do.

So really if you have any other uncompleted goals in life you can work on, it doesn't seem to make any sense to play WoW. Once upon a time you wouldn't even get XP or Reputation (maybe like 10%) for completing a quest if you were too high level, now you get both and people solo raid instances that took 40 to 25 people.

One player (2012):
X

equals
40 players (2005):
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX

Am I wrong in thinking that this drives people away from the game?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Why would being able to solo old instances drive players away from the game? I rather enjoy being able to go back through old content and farm it for either gear that I like the look of or reputation -- and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. What was difficult to accomplish at a particular level or gear cap shouldn't continue to be so once the game has progressed past that plateau. If the original challenge is desired by players there are options in which to experience it such as using gear that was available at the point in the game and turning on XP.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I don't really understand the point that you're trying to make in relation to how gear progresses in regards to content that is being outdated.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
01/11/2012 08:15 PMPosted by Taemojitsu

I can say without a doubt that this is the most !@# backwards logic I've ever heard.
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Mage
01/11/2012 08:25 PMPosted by Nepenthe
I suppose what I'm saying is that I don't really understand the point that you're trying to make in relation to how gear progresses in regards to content that is being outdated.

There just doesn't seem to be any reason to be doing stuff, or subscribing to WoW now. It'll be much easier in the future and you can do it then. Unless you like being "first".

I can't say whether this is a bad thing or a good thing, but it's how it seems to be.

Like, in 10 years I'll log on, zip to lvl 300 in a day, and destroy Deathwing with my little pinky :)
Edited by Taemojitsu on 1/11/2012 8:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Mage
01/11/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Cutanaga

I can say without a doubt that this is the most !@# backwards logic I've ever heard.

I suppose the current model is good for people who want to 'see the content', and don't particularly care what other people think of them. If you approach the game from the perspective that it's pointless to try to find something that will somehow prove that you're "skilled" at the game, the current system is completely fine.

And if that happens to be the design philosophy that gets the most subs, then there is no flaw with WoW's gear inflation and reset every patch.
Reply Quote
If Farmville is the hardest game you want to play, then yes, you should wait a few years to subscribe to WoW so you can blow through obsolete content by yourself.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
01/11/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Cutanaga

Well, it's from a person who previously has admitted that Taemojutsu is their main, and who hasn't been logged-in since pre-BC.

They are literally paying $15/month to troll the forums and complain about how everything that's existed post-vanilla is horrible despite literally having experienced none of it whatsoever.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
There just doesn't seem to be any reason to be doing stuff, or subscribing to WoW now. It'll be much easier in the future and you can do it then. Unless you like being "first".

Sort of like there's no value in reading a whole book when you can skip to the last chapter? No point in visiting Italy when you can order spaghetti at Olive Garden? Climbing a mountain is a waste of time when you can just look at photographs?

It's not just about the destination.
Reply Quote
92 Gnome Warlock
01/11/2012 08:15 PMPosted by Taemojitsu

Yes you are wrong. Experience and growth empowers people to do things that would have been considered impossible by them before. This is as true in game as it is in any situation where learning from what you've done can be as important, if not more important, than learning from what other's have done (pretty much anything in real life).
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Mage
01/12/2012 01:18 AMPosted by Sharkon
Sort of like there's no value in reading a whole book when you can skip to the last chapter? No point in visiting Italy when you can order spaghetti at Olive Garden? Climbing a mountain is a waste of time when you can just look at photographs?

Great examples of what else you can do in life other than grind epics in WoW. So many things to do, so little time :)

01/12/2012 01:27 AMPosted by Bomdanil
Experience and growth empowers people to do things that would have been considered impossible by them before. This is as true in game as it is in any situation where learning from what you've done can be as important, if not more important, than learning from what other's have done (pretty much anything in real life).

A valid point. If a game can provide this where nothing else can (many people's jobs are very boring and unchallenging for example), then having that game to play is a positive thing.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I think its great. No one want to pay full price for an old, used up car. Making old content accessible allows those who want to farm gear for transmogging or to enjoy stories that they could not have otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage

I can't say whether this is a bad thing or a good thing, but it's how it seems to be.

Like, in 10 years I'll log on, zip to lvl 300 in a day, and destroy Deathwing with my little pinky :)

But see, not everyone thinks that way. I've seen this argument before in different forms -- why do the content for gear now when you can wait a few patches, get the gear you need, and do it all later; why even do it at all when it'll be obsolete someday -- but it doesn't take into account that people experience these things while they're relevant for the prestige, for the variety, for the fun.

So there comes a point in the future when it's easier. Does that matter, though? If that doesn't happen with gear, it'll happen with levels, yet it doesn't invalidate why people still bother with it today. That runs counter to its very goal as a game, and I can tell, not everyone sees the "endless grind" the same way. :)
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
That is the most rediculous thing I have heard yet this year! What kind of drug induced euphoria are you floundering in anyway?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
01/12/2012 01:50 AMPosted by Taemojitsu
Great examples of what else you can do in life other than grind epics in WoW. So many things to do, so little time :)

Way to focus on the words and ignore the meaning. I'll be a bit more cliche, then: it's not the destination, it's the journey.
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Mage
01/12/2012 02:01 AMPosted by Bloodaeonis
but it doesn't take into account that people experience these things while they're relevant for the prestige, for the variety, for the fun.

I think I get what you're saying—just enjoy the game with whoever else is playing it.

I think this is what the world is becoming more like, partially isolated communities doing an activity that each other community sees as entirely 'optional', in a good way.

I guess I'm surprised more people don't want accomplishments in WoW to have more relevance outside of the community already playing the game; to have WoW be more like the Olympics than, I don't know, collecting stamps or rare baseball cards.
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Mage
01/12/2012 02:33 AMPosted by Ishko
YOu didn't read about the item squish?

Notice how many people in this thread have said they enjoy soloing old raids.

One of the CMs said soloing raid content would not be the deciding factor in whether they squish items, but....

01/12/2012 02:30 AMPosted by Nobully
at this point in time, Farmville is more challenging than WoW.

But but but if you play WoW for 40 hours a week, you can join a hardcore guild and see Heroic raid content!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I like playing with my level 13 Pork Knights on Farmville though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]