Performance Comparison: 32-bit vs 64-bit

MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm doing some apples to apples performance comparisons of the 32-bit client against the 64-bit variant. I'm currently seeing some minor gains using the timetest benchmark, which eliminates the "random" spawning of mobs, players, and other objects along a flight path. It helps keep results consistent, although it does unfortunately reduce the CPU overhead a bit. CPU-limited situations are the ones that will see the most benefit from a 64-bit executable.

Also worth noting is that I have obtained these results with no addons installed. I also renamed the 64-bit client to Wow.exe while testing to ensure any application profiles that rely on executable names properly detected the game.

Since my normal Krazzworks to Crushblow flight path benchmark was yielding some ugly client crashes, I decided to use Brill to the Sepulcher. The current averages are as follows:

For the 32-bit client, I'm seeing about these numbers:

Min. FPS: 15.445
Max. FPS: 582.523
Avg. FPS: 194.103

The 64-bit client is producing these framerates:

Min. FPS: 27.231
Max. FPS: 596.547
Avg. FPS: 196.362

There are some very slight theoretical gains, although unfortunately at this range it's well within a margin of error. Note that these are only early results and I will continue benchmarking. I'm going to attempt to fine-tune my settings to CPU bottleneck the game as much as possible.
Edited by Kodiack on 1/11/2012 9:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Config.wtf file contents:

SET Sound_EnableHardware "1"
SET Sound_NumChannels "64"
SET gxTripleBuffer "1"
SET shadowLevel "0"
SET showToolsUI "1"
SET specular "1"
SET textureFilteringMode "5"
SET locale "enUS"
SET realmlist "public-test.logon.battle.net"
SET portal "public-test"
SET serverAlert "SERVER_ALERT_PTR_URL"
SET enterWorld "1"
SET maxFPS "0"
SET maxFPSBk "0"
SET hwDetect "0"
SET gxApi "D3D11"
SET gxVSync "0"
SET gxMultisample "4"
SET videoOptionsVersion "4"
SET accountList "WoW1|!WoW2|"
SET playIntroMovie "4"
SET mouseSpeed "1.5"
SET Gamma "1.000000"
SET readTOS "1"
SET readEULA "1"
SET accounttype "CT"
SET ChatMusicVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET ChatSoundVolume "0.39999997615814"
SET ChatAmbienceVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET VoiceActivationSensitivity "0.39999997615814"
SET Sound_OutputQuality "2"
SET Sound_EnableReverb "1"
SET Sound_EnableMusic "0"
SET Sound_MusicVolume "0.40000000596046"
SET Sound_AmbienceVolume "0.60000002384186"
SET Sound_ZoneMusicNoDelay "1"
SET Sound_EnableSoundWhenGameIsInBG "1"
SET terrainMipLevel "0"
SET farclip "1250"
SET waterDetail "3"
SET sunShafts "2"
SET groundEffectDensity "128"
SET groundEffectDist "260"
SET environmentDetail "150"
SET projectedTextures "1"
SET shadowMode "1"
SET shadowTextureSize "2048"
SET componentTextureLevel "9"
SET weatherDensity "3"
SET realmName "Anasterian (US)"
SET gameTip "17"
SET readScanning "-1"
SET readContest "-1"
SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "-1"
SET installType "Retail"

Reply Quote
23 Orc Hunter
Blizzard released a x64 version of the client finally? Interesting.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Nice to see that there is a gain, even if it is minimal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you can get addons to work and can find some memory heavy ones at that if there is any difference. Maybe a programmer out there could make an addon consume large amounts of memory to help test this consistently between the two versions.

Thank you for posting your results and good luck to your future endeavors.
Edited by Noctemtenchi on 1/11/2012 10:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
01/11/2012 09:53 PMPosted by Vorath
Blizzard released a x64 version of the client finally? Interesting.

Yep. It's currently only on the PTR, and if you're eager to try it out, you're free to do so!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881708285

01/11/2012 09:54 PMPosted by Mossclaw
Nice to see that there is a gain, even if it is minimal.

Indeed. I'm expecting about a 10-15% gain at most in some of the most CPU-heavy situations. I'll probably realize larger boosts when I get the game entirely bottlenecked by the CPU.

I'm not entirely sure what Blizzard's goal(s) is/are with the 64-bit client, though one of the biggest benefits it offers in my opinion is for the game to continue to grow and expand beyond 4 GB of memory usage. Since WoW's release in 2004 the average amount of RAM in a computer has more than quadrupled. Having some foundation for the game to continue to use more and more system resources is definitely worth investing in.
Edited by Kodiack on 1/14/2012 4:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
01/11/2012 10:01 PMPosted by Noctemtenchi
If you can get addons to work and can find some memory heavy ones at that if there is any difference. Maybe a programmer out there could make an addon consume large amounts of memory to help test this consistently between the two versions.

It's not so much the memory that will see any performance gains here as it is tasks that rely heavily on the processor. World of Warcraft can already use up to 4 GB of address space since it is large address aware. The 64-bit client likely will not provide any immediate improvements to memory management.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I like the OP.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
I guess it comes down to how often that min fps scenario was being triggered

If the 64 bit client is able to turn a lot of horribly laggy crowded city or 25 man raid 15 fps situations into 27 fps situations, that's a difference a lot of people will appreciate.

But if the min fps in both cases was just for a microsecond during startup or something and was never seen again, then of course its irrelevant.

Thanks for sharing your results.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Min. FPS: 15.445Max. FPS: 582.523Avg. FPS: 194.103

I want your computer. my FPS caps out at 25 :(
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter

Min. FPS: 15.445Max. FPS: 582.523Avg. FPS: 194.103

I want your computer. my FPS caps out at 25 :(

^this
Fwiw My crappy laptop gets about 18-22 fps on average idling in Org with the 32bit client and only bartender installed. I tried the 64bit client with no addons and was getting 26-30fps in IoC.
I totally understand that anecdotal evidence is pointless but it was enough of an improvement to get me stoked for the live release of the 64bit version.
Edited by Euronomus on 1/12/2012 12:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Does this impact load times in game as well? I figure that if it can use more RAM that means better load times with certain things...

Also saw on MMO-C someone said they loaded up to 3.5 GB of addons and the game worked flawlessly.

The 64-bit client doesn't really do much in the way of load times. Windows Vista/7 do a pretty good job of caching previously loaded game files into RAM for faster loading afterwards, although if you're looking to really boost load times you'll want to invest in a solid state drive.

Do note that the "file optimization" may positively impact loading performance. It's discussed a bit in one of the stickied threads on this board.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3870837682
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
If youre worried about load times just buy a cheap SSD, my wow runs off a Agility 3 60 gig drive and I definitely notice improvements in mutiple areas such live logging for raids, or Skada issues.

A bigger impact has definitely been in raids I have noticed less of a slow down with effects flying around and ofcourse load times are dramatically good.

Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Priest
A 10-15% gain? That's....it?

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
If youre worried about load times just buy a cheap SSD, my wow runs off a Agility 3 60 gig drive and I definitely notice improvements in mutiple areas such live logging for raids, or Skada issues.

A bigger impact has definitely been in raids I have noticed less of a slow down with effects flying around and ofcourse load times are dramatically good.

This is excellent advice. Solid state drives have dropped in price significantly and even getting a cheap one for the operating system and a game for two will drastically improve overall system performance. Adding an SSD to my build was one of the largest upgrades I ever purchased, and it wasn't all that crazy of a price for what benefits I was getting.

01/15/2012 02:31 PMPosted by Madia
A 10-15% gain? That's....it?

Sadly, yes. Recompiling a program natively as 64-bit does usually provide at least a moderate boost to performance, though it's rarely more than that unless there's an abnormally high amount of gigantic numbers being processed. More bits isn't always better! It will likely be decades (if not centuries!) before we can even fathom exhausting some of the 64-bit limitations.

If you want to improve performance, though, there are still a few things you can do that will really help out. Enabling DirectX 11 mode and not having shadows at the maximum setting can easily double framerates on some computers.
Edited by Kodiack on 1/15/2012 6:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Enabling DirectX 11 mode and not having shadows at the maximum setting can easily double framerates on some computers.

Why exactly is that?
Reply Quote
01/15/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Fynbo
Enabling DirectX 11 mode and not having shadows at the maximum setting can easily double framerates on some computers.

Why exactly is that?

Modern cards are more optimized for DX11, and shadows in particular are hard to calculate.

Combining the two will give substantial performance boosts.
Reply Quote
01/15/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Fynbo

Why exactly is that?

The amount of math that has to be calculated to produce a shadow is pretty heavy as you have to shade out a shape of one object at a certain angle to a light source onto another object that doesn't always have a flat surface. That last tick of the shadows setting makes the biggest difference.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm hoping to do more testing soon now that the 64-bit client has been released semi-officially and has proven to be completely stable. Anything in particular you guys would like to see?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]