WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

Community Manager
In preparation for the upcoming release of Mists of Pandaria, updates to World of Warcraft will no longer support Microsoft Windows 2000. Microsoft ceased support for this version of their operating system in 2010. Players still using Windows 2000 are encouraged to upgrade prior to the release of Mists of Pandaria.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
So basically that just means XP, Vista, and 7 now.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle
Edited by Omegal on 1/9/2012 9:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Crap... no playing at work now :(
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
01/09/2012 09:08 AMPosted by Sivryal
Crap... no playing at work now :(

Lol, tell them it's time to upgrade, for security reasons obviously ;)
Edited by Omegal on 1/9/2012 9:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Out of curiosity, how many people are still playing on windows 2000? Must be very few.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Wow... WoW on a computer with Windows 2000 on it prolly ran at what... 2 fps...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Pffff Windows 95 is where it's at!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Hey, I still run Windows XP......
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
01/09/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Larwood
Out of curiosity, how many people are still playing on windows 2000? Must be very few.

You'd be surprised - I remember seeing a post about graphics cards in use by users (by a Blizzard poster I think on the old forums), and it was pretty scary that some really old cards were still in use..

When Cata came out and Win2k users were constantly crashing, there were a lot of users posting crash logs that all showed the same thing.. Wow is currently playable on Windows 2000 via replacing OS .dlls with other versions, which allow wow to work.

It sounds like that little hack will no longer work with MoP.
Reply Quote
I can't really blame those still hanging onto Windows 2000 for doing so, because it was an extremely solid and resource-light operating system. I'd go as far as to say that it's the best version of Windows released thus far, since it had most of what XP did when it came to features without that silly Luna theme and other semi-pointless "consumer" features. Its strength was in its utilitarian, to the point, and no-nonsense design.

Windows 7 is nice, but is a tad heavy on resources, even considering today's much beefier hardware.
Edited by Krandon on 1/9/2012 9:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

If you can run Windows 2000, there's no reason you can't run XP. The hardware requirements are basically the same between the two.

Better yet, buy a new machine. Your game experience will improve greatly coming from a Windows 2000-era computer. I guarantee it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.
I think your 5% figure is insanely high. I'd be surprised if it was >1%
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

If you can run Windows 2000, there's no reason you can't run XP. The hardware requirements are basically the same between the two.

Better yet, buy a new machine. Your game experience will improve greatly coming from a Windows 2000-era computer. I guarantee it.

No, no no no no no no no no no. There are so many compatability issues between the two it's frightening. Especially when considering many of the machines that are still using W2k are that way due to legacy software and some hardware that will not work on XP/forward.

I'd venture to say that the W2k players are running it because of a primary need and just happen to run WoW on it as well. Now, that's not to say that it's time to upgrade the equipment attached to it as well, but I can tell you from first hand experience... Telling someone or a business that it's time to drop W2k is like telling them to fork over hundreds of thousands if not a few million dollars to update everything that machine is currently running.............
Edited by Dorrell on 1/9/2012 10:41 AM PST
Reply Quote

A new operating system costs money some people don't have.

A new machine costs money some people don't have.

Being one of those people, I'm just glad MoP will still run on XP.

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time there's no reason one can't set aside a little money each paycheck and after a few months, grab himself a $600 Windows 7 tower that will run WoW smoothly as butter and will last him another several years. Reasonably powerful computers aren't that expensive nowadays.
Edited by Krandon on 1/9/2012 10:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Blizzard has a longstanding track record of making their games workable in as many computer environments as possible. They were one of the first gaming companies to release the PC/Mac hybrid (on the same disc) games, proving that these other jokers in the gaming business were just lazy (I'm looking at YOU, no-Mac-version-of-Jedi Knight-Lucasarts). I was very grateful for this because all I had at the time was a Mac and if a game was released at all for Mac, it was often a year or two after the PC version.

I am running Win7 right now and I can pop in my Starcraft, Diablo II, and WC III discs and play without missing a beat (ok, D2 gives some funky color pixels after alt-tabbing, but everything else works fine). What other gaming company builds their games with that kind of resiliency (let alone the fact that they still hold up and are on store shelves 10 or more years after release)? I cannot think of any. Heck, I'm having trouble running some XP-released games on Win7 but the companies who made them don't care (if they still exist).

This is a bump in the road, an unfortunate consequence of a number of circumstances. Blizzard is not in control of the products Microsoft decides to no longer support but they must update the software's capabilities if they are to keep WoW competitive. I have always been pleased with Blizzard's stance on keeping in-game graphics toned down a bit so that as broad an audience as possible can experience their games and I find the notion they are doing this callously to be contrary to the nature of their past actions. I strongly believe that a company that has been this dedicated to multi-platform support for so long would end support for any particular OS or chipset only if it would unacceptably hamper the gameplay experience or necessary behind-the-scenes architecture needed to keep the game moving forward.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I dream of a magical day sometime in the future when I stop getting emails asking me if my software runs on Windows 98. :[
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
it is 2012 NO ONE should be running 2000... Get a job people.
Reply Quote
52 Undead Warrior

Kind of an idiotic, uninformed thing to post. Maybe do some research on those subs before posting garbage like that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]