WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

90 Troll Warlock
Seriously if you are running 2000 still in 2012 maybe you shouldnt be playing computer games
Edited by Fireemage on 2/5/2012 5:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid

A new operating system costs money some people don't have.

A new machine costs money some people don't have.

Being one of those people, I'm just glad MoP will still run on XP.

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time there's no reason one can't set aside a little money each paycheck and after a few months, grab himself a $600 Windows 7 tower that will run WoW smoothly as butter and will last him another several years. Reasonably powerful computers aren't that expensive nowadays.

Might want to add $100 bucs since the cost of hard drives are up about 60% since the shortages due to the thailand flooding.
Edited by Roxyfoxy on 2/6/2012 1:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
02/05/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Wobwob
No the reason you can't go back is because you're usually broke after selling everything you own for a computer that you can get for 1/3 the price with windows and even less if you build it and use linux.

Posted by Johall

All I can say is: Once you go Mac, you can never go back.

I want a computer not a religion.

No the reason you can't go back is because you're usually broke after selling everything you own for a computer that you can get for 1/3 the price with windows and even less if you build it and use linux.

Also, coming back from stupid is a road paved with challenges :)
Reply Quote
An operating system's capability does not decay. It is not a car. It does not get worn down like a tool from your shed.

World of Warcraft is about to outgrow(or lie about outgrowing) the capability of W2K for unstated reasons.

Who is more unreasonable?

Either way, some wizards will surely find a way to preserve unofficial functionality. Count on it. Upgrade when you are ready, not because your game is being held hostage.

If not, the best I can recommend to W2Kers is to pull aside a college student and ask them to help you get the WIN741 college discount(which is looking less sexy as time passes) or use linux+WINE to establish minimal functionality without paying for a new operating system.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm still running at 30 FPS with Windows 3.1
Reply Quote
89 Dwarf Death Knight
01/09/2012 09:22 AMPosted by Pyrisath
Hey, I still run Windows XP......

You're next...
Edited by Desarian on 2/9/2012 7:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Are we still supporting windows ME??

lol I kidd...

If you purchased a copy of windows ME you should receive reparations from Microsoft.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
well how about you buy people copies of windows 7 if you're just going to up and drop support? >.>
Reply Quote
23 Blood Elf Rogue
ok so, since windows 8 is going to be a cell phone os, can we please get our linux client ill pay some bucks for a linux client, thanks blizzard your the best
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I am mad, bro! I want compatability with OS/360!

And what about the UNIVAC systems? Just going to leave that one out in the cold, are we Blizz? Spitting on our technological heritage now, is it?

Snirk. You forgot OS/2 and the Vic-20. They need luv, too.

I can't believe Blizz won't let WoW run on an Amiga.
Reply Quote
Is Windows XP/Vista still good to play on?
Reply Quote
79 Blood Elf Paladin
Lol windows 2000
02/10/2012 10:32 PMPosted by Maks
Is Windows XP/Vista still good to play on?
Yes.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
02/10/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Mandulis
well how about you buy people copies of windows 7 if you're just going to up and drop support? >.>

I almost can say with a 100% accuracy that computers that shipped with W2K are NOT compatible with Windows 7. W2K can't support the memory that is the minimum requirement for Windows 7.

So, that must mean MoP is going to need more memory to run. Or a better graphics card that W2K can support.

Just guessing... Maybe somebody can actually tell me if MoP is going to change the minimum requirement to play WoW.
Edited by Eldarious on 2/11/2012 4:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
An operating system's capability does not decay. It is not a car. It does not get worn down like a tool from your shed.

World of Warcraft is about to outgrow(or lie about outgrowing) the capability of W2K for unstated reasons.

Who is more unreasonable?

Please tell me this is just hardcore tolling and not true ignorance.

An OS's value absolutely does decay. You can't compare it to the way a car depreciates. A car can get worn out, part die. Much akin to the physical PC the OS would be running on. The OS however loses it value when it can no longer support new technologies.

They don't need to give stated reasons why they won't support it as the majority of them are obvious. But just to give a few: Win2k doesn't support x64 architecture. It doesn't support more than 4GB RAM. It doesn't support more than 2 Cores of a processor. Multithread performance is sub par. It has issues with large registry hives. Windows 2000 doesn't respond as well as newer OSes when processing large files.

With WoW evolving the resources needed to play the game stably will increase. The OS is 12 years old. It's no longer supported by its creator. Why in the world should Blizzard be expected to continue supporting their products on it.

02/10/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Mandulis

Really? That's like me complaining that because 3dfx no longer makes drivers for my VooDoo 3 card that they should go buy me a new video card. What a completely unreasonable statement.

Or why not go whine to MS to give you a free copy of Windows 7 because they dropped their support for it as well.

Technology advances. You got 12 years out of a decent OS. The fact is there are better, more capable OSes out there that will allow for a better customer experience, and really, that has to be the primary goal of any entertainment company.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
01/09/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Tachi
it is 2012 NO ONE should be running 2000... Get a job people.

Some people have jobs. And some of those people are liveing pay check to pay check. Maybe you should think of the people who have a hard life. and a life overall. before makeing a comment like that.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Oh man this bodes bad for me. I'm using XP, Vista is garbage and why buy 7, when 8 is coming out fairly soon. I just hope it comes out before the next expansion after MoP.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Oh man this bodes bad for me. I'm using XP, Vista is garbage and why buy 7, when 8 is coming out fairly soon. I just hope it comes out before the next expansion after MoP.

Because 7 is a solid OS (just as solid as XP Sp 3). Win 8 is MS's attempt at a true mobile OS. It's probably going to be the next Vista or *shudders* the next ME. Everything I have seen and read, it's not great as a desktop OS (yet) and has a long way to go to improve on Windows 7 as a desktop OS...

XP is still a good OS and will be until mid 2014 when it too hits its end of support through MS. Unless you are using XP x64.......that OS is crap as it was never really accepted by many vendors so drivers were sometimes hard to come by.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If your stilling using windows 2000..you need to upgrade like yesterday...

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]