WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

90 Troll Druid
02/14/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Tainiae
Some people have jobs. And some of those people are liveing pay check to pay check. Maybe you should think of the people who have a hard life. and a life overall. before makeing a comment like that.

Maybe a monthly subscription to a video game is not money best spent in your case?

And before the "how dare you suggest what I should do with my money?" comments, why would you suggest that a game company should continue to support a 12 year old operating system that is substantially holding back its ability to evolve?

You are playing a long standing MMO. During a life span of a long standing MMO, minimum requirements will gradually shift up to embrace newer technologies. Blizz has been beyond generous by holding back this long. It is unreasonable to expect it to continue to do so.

And before the "they are going to lose all these subs from people with older machines" comments. Yes, probably, some will be lost. But new subs will be gained from people with newer machines that have been looking at WoW and going "meh, it looks way too dated".

Are the new subs going to balance out the loss of old subs? I do not know. But I bet Blizz is pretty certain they will. Going forward as cautiously as they do is not likely to affect such a vast number of players as to actually have any impact on their ROI.
Edited by Merl on 2/15/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Can I still run it with MS-DOS?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/09/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Omegal
So basically that just means XP, Vista, and 7 now.

And Linux, where I still play great under regular wine.

This is kind or ironic.
Reply Quote

Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

I am a old user returning to the game, so that statement is incorrect. I sold my old computer, and went to volunteer for a year during Cata. I am buying a new system with windows 7 ($800 parts). Frankly, if you don't have a computer system that is going to hold up in a raid situation and get disconnected everytime massive graphics happen, WTF are you doing playing a MMO?

People are not serious about playing through a raid, yet they complain they don't see content.

It was really, really frustrating doing a Onyxia Many whelps! Handle it! achievement, and not only does half the people in raid have questionable gear, the same ones Disconnect when we pull the whelps ...See the connection? What is the point of making a raid suffer?
What is the dps on a disconnect? How much content are you seeing if all you can do is quest, and not raid?

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
TBH windows 2000 was more a business OS and not meant for home users hence the name "professional" so yeah unless you were playing the game at work this really shouldn't effect you and if you are playing at work chances are you aren't meant to be.

Alot of places don't even make video card drivers for 2k for the newer cards if any, so that would cause so many issues for a game.
Reply Quote
11 Worgen Warrior
Actually I've noticed quite some players leave after the post.
Edited by Edolf on 2/16/2012 3:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Did you know its because of people like these that wow wont get a graphics update? Half the people are still playing with computers from 2004, not to mention all those sporting there "Integrated graphics" $600 Wall mart computer specials. (You all know who you are). Soon, WoW will end up like Runescape Graphic wise. Looking Old & Outdated.
Reply Quote

Half the people are still playing with computers from 2004, not to mention all those sporting there "Integrated graphics" $600 Wall mart computer specials.

I bought a system from Staples on sale, $579.
Intel i5-2320 (3.0GHz, 6MB Cache), 8GB memory, 1.5TB hard drive (RAID 2x750 GB)
Genuine Windows 7 ® Home Premium (64-bit) with 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics
Best deal on the web!

Upgrading is cheap, manufactures are throwing computers at customer, haha!
Computer technology is upgrading so fast.

I am posting this up here to be nice. I will probably upgrade the card later.
Edited by Andvari on 2/19/2012 11:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
Upgrading to a current computer is inexpensive, in relative terms. The computer I'm using was $450 at the time at Best Buy. AMD dual core processor (this too is upgradable, which I'll do soon), 4 slots for RAM (maxed at 16GB, came with 4GB). Granted I had to upgrade the power supply in order to use the graphics card I bought. So figuring after all upgrades I did, total spent was probably $750-800, but was spread out over a few months.

If one can't save up the money on their own, Best Buy does have what's called a Pitch-In card. Works the same way as a gift card, but is refillable (up to $9,999). One can put money on it on their own, have family & friends put money in (thinking for holidays & birthdays), etc. So there are ways to save up that are 'non traditional'.

I'm not sure what people are doing that they can't save up for something they want. Don't take this as me 'trolling'. I'm just coming from the stand point of 'do without one thing so that one can have something else'. So if the something else is a better computer, what would you be willing to give up (usually something done weekly that's not a necessity) in order to have the better computer?
Reply Quote
what would you be willing to give up (usually something done weekly that's not a necessity) in order to have the better computer?

fake dating sites, and icecream...
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Damn it I can't play and the bf's house)=
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I run wow on windows xp to lol
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
All I'm seeing here is "Why won't you continue to support an extremely outdated operating system I still use?!"

When he clearly states in the original post that it has been a couple years at least since MICROSOFT offered any support for this product. I'm surprised Blizz put up with it for this long.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I run on Windows 7, and sadly, I end up having to file crash reports often because of some errors blizzard refuses to fix. like, how come when I log out of WoW after playing, then decide later to play again, I cant get into WoW because of a game crash? it doesnt let me play again unless I do a full reset of my PC.

crashes need to be prevented Blizz. maybe the crashes are because of the dropping of Windows 2000 from the OS selection? hmmm? Windows 7 is a newer OS, and yeah I like it. but come on Blizz, if something is causing crashes, you need to stop that which causes crashes, and reinforce the code to prevent crashes.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I run on Windows 7, and sadly, I end up having to file crash reports often because of some errors blizzard refuses to fix. like, how come when I log out of WoW after playing, then decide later to play again, I cant get into WoW because of a game crash? it doesnt let me play again unless I do a full reset of my PC.

crashes need to be prevented Blizz. maybe the crashes are because of the dropping of Windows 2000 from the OS selection? hmmm? Windows 7 is a newer OS, and yeah I like it. but come on Blizz, if something is causing crashes, you need to stop that which causes crashes, and reinforce the code to prevent crashes.

I'm not having any crashes with win7.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]