WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

90 Dwarf Warrior
03/06/2012 11:49 PMPosted by Snideko
i have to ask this, Wow requires Direct X 9 (the removal of Windows 98 was due to the removal of support for Direct X 7 and Direct X 8) however Windows 2000 is capable of running DirectX 9 and as such i dont see not being able to run wow on windows 2000 albiet in an unsupported setup unless there removing support for Direct X 9, in wich case that would be like a huge middle finger to like half the people i know.

Why do half the people you know still run Win2k?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
03/07/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Belthin
i have to ask this, Wow requires Direct X 9 (the removal of Windows 98 was due to the removal of support for Direct X 7 and Direct X 8) however Windows 2000 is capable of running DirectX 9 and as such i dont see not being able to run wow on windows 2000 albiet in an unsupported setup unless there removing support for Direct X 9, in wich case that would be like a huge middle finger to like half the people i know.

Why do half the people you know still run Win2k?
itsn ot the windows 2000 thing i was pointing out it was the DirectX 9 thing, alot of old hardware running DX9 and DX10 is still out there and to phase out DX9 would cause DX9 and 10 clients to have to swtich to opengl wich from my experence is quite a bit slower for what i've tested it on in windows.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Mage
01/10/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Deathknoob

Lol, tell them it's time to upgrade, for security reasons obviously ;)
Alot of workplaces refuse to upgrade from Windows 2k because it is pretty stable; they have tried test versions of their custom software they run and found it had issues with XP/Vista. This is true for govt departments at least.
Maybe they would stop getting hacked by 4chan.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I've never run Windows 2000, so I'm not too bothered by this development. However, the day when WoW no longer runs under Windows XP is the day when I stop playing WoW. My experiences with Vista have been agonizing, and my experiences with Windows 7 were even worse. I will NEVER "upgrade" to those versions. sixty or seventy years from now, my computers will still be running Windows XP.

First... though I'd love to never have to buy a new OS ever I doubt on the highest of levels that many of the day to day programs you'd use in sixty or seventy years will even work on XP.

>.> So what happens when all are programs stop running on XP? Will you cease to use a computer. I am truly curious though I apologize for my comment sounding d*ckish. I really want to know not just from you but anyone I for one love XP but every day a program or new game or etc doesn't run on it anymore so I'd at-least get a new PC/Os in preparation for when nothing you use runs properly.

I actually bought a wireless card when I got my new PC that wasn't installable on anything that came before Vista. (Which wasn't an issue since I have 7 but I still thought it was pretty dumb.)

Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
XP is still the best.
Reply Quote
88 Worgen Death Knight
01/09/2012 09:19 AMPosted by Lastwish
Pffff Windows 95 is where it's at!

No no no...Windows 3.11...HAHAHA
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
All the drama and politics aside, Windows 2000 is highly INSECURE. Let me say it again, INSECURE. That by itself is enough to stop ongoing support for it. World of Warcraft is an evolving piece of software so don't expect to stay on an ancient platform and not have any problems. Blizzard has been kind enough to let support last as long as it has but the reality is this piece of software needs to upgrade itself to newer technologies that literally cannot be ported over to a operating system like Windows 2000.

And quite frankly, if your using anything older than Vista you have major security issues. If for whatever reason I was able to get onto your network and you had ANY XP or older OS, I could take full control of that PC almost for certain and any network sessions you have open. Updating your software is critical to your security and privacy. Don't take it lightly and certainly don't blame Blizzard for acknowledging it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
www.oldversion.com

There will never be a time when all programs stop running on XP.

Touche good sir I take my hat off to you or err eye-patch.

Have to bookmark that just in case have some friends running on XP who refuse to leave it for good reason.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
I can't really blame those still hanging onto Windows 2000 for doing so, because it was an extremely solid and resource-light operating system. I'd go as far as to say that it's the best version of Windows released thus far, since it had most of what XP did when it came to features without that silly Luna theme and other semi-pointless "consumer" features. Its strength was in its utilitarian, to the point, and no-nonsense design.

Windows 7 is nice, but is a tad heavy on resources, even considering today's much beefier hardware.

Windows 98 Second Edition was my all-time favorite.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Rogue
I use Windows Z, Created during the Stone age, I just grab my rock, paint letter, and tie a string to my central system
Reply Quote
I demand that Blizzard pays the cost of upgrading to Windows <Whatever> for me as I don't want to upgrade from 2000!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Any known changes to the hardware requirements yet? Running a college student that stocks shelves type of salary, so my desktop is less than awesome.

Maybe just stick it in a vat of liquid nitrogen and overclock the crap out of it xD
Edited by Darktech on 3/16/2012 2:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
01/09/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Tachi
it is 2012 NO ONE should be running 2000... Get a job people.

I have Win 2k in a VMWare virtual machine; its the quickest, lightest, most agile thing out there. Never tried playing warcraft in it though.

Win2k is also a great platform to support legacy apps; while still working mostly like modern windows. I can still compile and build a working, 16 bit, DOS program because of it. (lol, don't ask).

As to percentages, I doubt even 5% are running WoW on Win2k.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
so true, i just bought the 27in imac pro with 16 gb upgrade with the 6750 radeon graphic card. the comp. is running th so nicely and graphics are beast.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm currently running on Windows 7, a computer I bought just a little over a year ago. However, about 3 months after I put Cataclysm on it WoW's tech's started telling me that my video card was not supported any longer. Up until yesterday I was having no problems running dungeons, BG's or raids. However, now the framerate is now fluctuating between 28 fps (when the toon is not moving) down to as low as 17-19 fps(while runing), and 10 fps(while on a riding mount). Guess I'm either going to have to check into getting a new video card which is compatible or quit playing the game. Being on a fixed income sucks!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]