WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

90 Undead Priest
Can't keep the same stuff forever.

Hell, I don't make much money but I muddle by. I've been running a Vista machine since 2008.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Reading this made my day. I just took a pile of laptops that had Win2K to an E-Waste recycle center near where I work. They had been sitting unused for several years. I tried to use one and it actually felt like I was stepping back further then Windows 98.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few people who used it as a home PC OS, but I just can't imagine it was a terribly large number.

As far as not offering support anymore... I wouldn't either. It was declared dead by Microsoft in 2010, but even considering that, WoW wasn't even out yet when it was already being phased out in favor of XP. Supporting an OS that old is simply not worth the drain on resources.

And yea, I'd have to agree with other posters that its not that expensive to upgrade your computer. Not when its that old and not considering how cheap you can get one now.
Edited by Ayubot on 1/9/2012 5:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Um, it's not about losing subscribers... If Microsoft doesn't support a product, why should Blizzard? Sorry if that's been brought up already. Also I would think security is an issue-since there are no more updates offered, if win 2000 has a port open in paint and accounts get lifted, it's just more work for the folks working on Titan.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/09/2012 05:47 PMPosted by Rippersith
if win 2000 has a port open in paint
Why would Paint ever need to open a socket?
Reply Quote
01/09/2012 06:04 PMPosted by Fanahlia
if win 2000 has a port open in paint
Why would Paint ever need to open a socket?

For, uh, Microsoft to spy on everyone's pixrific creations?

Reply Quote
Blizzard no longer wants to support "Test" compatibility with a 12 year old systems, this comes down to Man Hours and just pure logic.

It's not supported by Microsoft...so ideally we're no longer going to waste our time and QA resources on this old bird.

Move along. Upgrade to at least XP. Ideally get a new pc with Win7.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
It all comes down to costs.

Question: Should we support win 2k?

info A: we have 100k customers still using windows 2000.
Info B: it costs me as developer (2 million per month) to continue to support win 2000

is it worth it to spend 500,000 to continue to support these customers or is it more cost effective to say that we are discontinuing support for windows 2000? Then hope at least some of your customers stay with you and upgrade their computer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

Even assuming your absolutely absurd 5% was the actual number, why should 95% of players be held back technologically by a handful of oddballs? Blizzard has probably lost more customers by not making these jumps with Cata then they kept by waiting.

More on point, if you really can't afford to update your OS after a decade, you are poorer than I can imagine a person playing and paying for WoW could ever be. Nor can I imagine many people so ludditic that they insist on running Windows 2000 on everything they ever buy.

If nothing else, there are free Linux distros that support WoW.
Edited by Gibborim on 1/9/2012 10:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Good. After MoP I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped support for XP, which is coming up to be 11 years old now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/09/2012 09:51 PMPosted by Amarix
Good. After MoP I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped support for XP, which is coming up to be 11 years old now.

I would be beyond surprised if they cut support for one of the most popular consumer OS's in the market. Some of the OS market-share sites list it as still being the most popular.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I have vista on my laptop and it's killing me compared to my desktop running '07. I couldn't imagine running '00 now.

It's unfortunate not every one can buy a new machine every 4-5 years.
It hasn't been 4-5 years, it's been over 10.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
01/09/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Gibborim

I would be beyond surprised if they cut support for one of the most popular consumer OS's in the market. Some of the OS market-share sites list it as still being the most popular.

Microsoft is terminating all support for XP in 2014; was supposed to be earlier, but Microsoft threw businesses a bone and extended the deadline. After 4/8/14 though, it's game over, so there's no reason for the expansion after MoP to support it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Just wondering, but did WoW ever work on Windows ME?
Another question, if Blizzard is dropping support for one outdated Microsoft product. What do we think the chances of them dropping support for another outdated product... like, oh I don't know... IE6 on their websites.

Personally, I still own a few copies of Windows 2000 (Pro, and Server) although I haven't used them in a long time. I still think Win2k was the best OS to come out of Microsoft. Heck I didn't upgrade till a suite of programs I use dropped support for the OS. Went from Win2k to Vista, then down to XP after watching Vista suck resources like a glimmering teenaged vampire. Thankfully Win7 came out not to long after, and I've been using that ever since. Well, Win7 and OSX Lion.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
A new operating system costs money some people don't have.

A new machine costs money some people don't have.

Windows XP was introduced around 2002, making a Windows 2000 system ten to fourteen years old. An inexpensive PC would cost less than $600, possibly under $500. It's a worthwhile investment for someone who managed to get 10-14 years out of what was probably a much more costly computer. It doesn't strike me as unreasonable that a developer would drop support of such old technology when updated technology is much more affordable than it used to be.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
The number of posts in this thread trying to defend W2K users is absolutly absurd.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881719932?page=1#11
This person especially, nobody can honestly say that W2K has ANY use anymore, not even for running older games as Win98 would be a better choice.

Some other guy was defending it use for some robotics program, well thats utter bull!@#.
If your hardware and software isnt capable of todays standwards whatever your industry is years behind in tech or you are exploring useless ends into your field.

Another point was that people would need to pay for a new computer and OS to support WoW now, well thats it incredibly stupid too...
If your budget is streched so damn thin just to play wow that you cant afford todays technology you seriously need to get a job or reconsider spedning money on things like video games.

My income is part time wage and i still upgrade my computer every year / year'n'half to pretty damn good specs. So arguements such as affordability are void.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/09/2012 09:03 AMPosted by Bashiok
In preparation for the upcoming release of Mists of Pandaria, updates to World of Warcraft will no longer support Microsoft Windows 2000. Microsoft ceased support for this version of their operating system in 2010. Players still using Windows 2000 are encouraged to upgrade prior to the release of Mists of Pandaria.

I know you probably can't answer this but...

...is there any chance we can get a general release "target"/"window" for Mists? That way people with old OSes will know about by when they need to have their new one ready to go.

Makes it easier to decide how much to set aside from paychecks if you know approximately how many paychecks you have between now and then.

Then again...I finally broke down and got a new computer (a year and a half ago...) which has XP on it, so I don't need to worry about this now. My OLD computer though...let's just say I remember a LOT of random crashes in Borean for seemingly no reason...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
01/10/2012 05:23 AMPosted by Arthinas
(a year and a half ago...) which has XP on it
Why would you put a 9 year old OS on a new PC?

01/10/2012 05:23 AMPosted by Arthinas
so I don't need to worry about this now.
Except that you will have to worry about it, because hopefully the expansion after mists, otherwise most likely the expansion after that they'll drop XP as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]