WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

43 Night Elf Hunter
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

If you can run Windows 2000, there's no reason you can't run XP. The hardware requirements are basically the same between the two.

Better yet, buy a new machine. Your game experience will improve greatly coming from a Windows 2000-era computer. I guarantee it.

The problem is that since Windows XP has been discontinued as well you're not able to purchase it from normal retailers. The only retail version of Windows being sold at retail is Windows 7 which won't work well at all if you have Windows 2000 era hardware.
Edited by Jawaka on 1/15/2012 6:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
looks like i'll have to change my wine prefrence to windows 7 instead of 2000

(edit: nvm its already set to 7 ...)
Edited by Artamist on 1/15/2012 10:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
would be uncommon if people didn't have windows vista or 7
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
I'd say it's about time to drop support for Windows 2000, it has been about 12 years since that operating system was released. Being expected to support it any further would be like being asked to support running Deus Ex on one of these in 2000:

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/photolib/misc/Compaq%20386%20Computer%20(PD).jpg
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Just because the OS won't be supported doesn't mean it won't run. The only thing it means is if you have a problem and you are running win2k, you have to figure it out yourself.

would be uncommon if people didn't have windows vista or 7

7 and vista are still uncommon compared to XP.
Edited by Jasla on 1/16/2012 4:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

Besides, if that robotic arm using W2K actually played WoW, wouldn't it be botting in the most literal sense?

Well played. Well played indeed. XD

Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
so...i cant play on my atari anymore....? rubbish
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Well the good news is that we can enjoy the new wow expansion(MOP)
the bad news is..well..i can't really think of anything. XD
Reply Quote
2 Troll Warrior
01/10/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Mahapa
I would be beyond surprised if they cut support for one of the most popular consumer OS's in the market. Some of the OS market-share sites list it as still being the most popular.

After Vista revealed itself to be a resource-sucking vampire of an OS, many people I knew decided to use XP instead -- and several of those people are skeptical of Windows 7 after Vista's failure.

01/09/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Ayubot
And yea, I'd have to agree with other posters that its not that expensive to upgrade your computer. Not when its that old and not considering how cheap you can get one now.

I'll agree with this as well. Of course, it's situational -- my father's computer is six years old, and frankly, it'd be more convenient to just buy a new one for $600-$1000. I tried figuring out a way to upgrade his machine last night... Until I realized that I'd essentially be building a brand new machine instead.

^this. I had to upgrade my computer about 3 years ago and I had been putting it off because while I was first going to just upgrade the CPU I realised that meant I had to upgrade the motherboard and RAM, and then the graphics and at that point I thought that I might as well just buy a whole new setup (AM2+/AM3 chipset for future upgrading). My wife's computer needs updating as well, and that is going to be the same deal.

$700 for a midrange decent computer (still running XP) isn't too bad, just make sure you have plenty of RAM and SATA drives.
Reply Quote
30 Human Paladin
I have XP. I'm not certain I want to go above that.

Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
01/09/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Worblehat
All I can say is: Once you go Mac, you can never go back.

Amen!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
If MS no longer supports it, neither should Blizzard.

And whoever said 2000 was a stable OS OBVIOUSLY never worked in a data center with a ton of these servers. Between registry hive issue, driver issue and the god awful WMI support, they used to make me want to shoot myself. Plus virtualization of that terrible OS was a whole new level of #%$& all on its own. And god forbid you tried to cluster it!

We still have about 100 servers in the environment, but most getting ready for a 2k8 R2 jump.

The 2000 desktop OS wasn't really must to write home about either. XP SP3 is MUCH more stable and resource friendly. I really like 7 SP1 as well. Been running it for a while now and have yet to run into any kind of issue outside of it not liking a lot of my older game. But With 7 ultimate, spinning up a VM is a breeze if I want to play some older games.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
01/09/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Worblehat
All I can say is: Once you go Mac, you can never go back.

Or you can save over $500 for better performance by building your own PC.

But hey, if spending over two grand for an image is worth it to you, go nuts.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

I'm sorry this is as far as I got in this thread. But, this first statement is ignorant lol. You can afford $15 a month, and 30-60 each time they release an expansion, but you can't buy a new version of windows?

Honestly. It is my recommendation to stop playing wow until 5.0 is released. Save your money, use the extra down time from no WoW to work extra hours or go hang with friends. When you've saved up 600-700 bucks, buy a brand new computer that will be a hundred times better than a computer than runs 2k lol. And run on ultra settings at that. My DDR2 systems run ultra anything nad it only cost me $550 to build.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.
Blizz isn't alienating a thing. Microsoft stopped supporting it. QQ to them not Blizz
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
Who uses 2000 and even XP even more? Yeeeeesh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]