Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
XP is FTW!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
so XP is still compatible?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Uhoh. That's just one last step before forcing me to get with the times. I like my XP setup. :(
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
This is a true testimony to the rediculousnous of the forums, and the desire for some people to complain about ANYTHING.

Windows 2000 is 12 years old. Even Microsoft hasn't supported it for more than a year. Let it die, just like IE6. The userbase of Windows 2000 users has to be pretty miniscule at this point. No reason gimping a game trying to provide support for a OS that very few people use.

Plus, all those Windows 2000 users could just install Ubuntu and WINE for free and keep playing WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
01/09/2012 09:08 AMPosted by Sivryal
Crap... no playing at work now :(
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I fail to see why this is even an issue. Hell, I'm amazed you can even play WoW on a w2k system.
Hopefully, with the end of support for this legacy system, they can put more resources towards making the game better overall.

Heck, I miss the old Win 3.1 system I had to play on as a kid (and all the Apogee games), but I wouldn't trade my nice Win 7 running laptop for that old thing.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior
01/09/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Mobbo
Wow... WoW on a computer with Windows 2000 on it prolly ran at what... 2 fps...

The operating system is the payload, not the engine.

As long as you have good video drivers, there is nothing about Win 2000 that should be slow. In fact, since it is a more "basic" OS, it could be faster.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

Literally overnight? Did MoP ship last night? No, it did not. They are being given plenty of notice.
Reply Quote
91 Human Death Knight
wow i dont know what kind of job you have but if i pplayed at work i would be fired plus i dont want to end up in an insane asylum too much wow will make u go crazy just look at the you tube videos lol
Reply Quote
I highly doubt 400,000 WoW users are still on Win2000, unless they play on a work, school or library computer. But around here, even the public schools have upgraded to XP, at the very least.

I'd say the hit will be felt by less than 1% of WoW users, and by the time MoP comes out, XP/Vista should be not much more expensive than the expansion itself.
Reply Quote
77 Gnome Mage
No support for Windows 2000? This is outrageous! What's next? no support for Windows 95?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I wasn't aware that WoW was even playable on Windows 2000....
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Microsoft ended support for Windows 2000 in July 2010. I am surprised it took this long to officially drop support for it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

I seriously doubt that 5% of the players in wow are still playing on windows 2k, or even on windows xp. I would estimate that possibly 0.1% of the subscribers might play part of the time from systems that old.

The reason I say this is that it has been my experience, that the patches and security hotfixes for both windows 2k and XP tended to slow them down and add other problems and security holes, which required MORE patches and hotfixes.

The best fps i saw on my xp computer was between 16 and 20, IF i wasn't in any of the captial cities or Shattrath city. This was also with about 250$ in memory & graphics card upgrades.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]