Taming a new pet?

39 Blood Elf Hunter
Alright, so I'm really new to this game. I've never played before now, so excuse my noob-ish questions. I feel like I've read this somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot find the thread again or the answers I'm looking for anywhere. How do I tame a new pet? I don't remember ever seeing/doing any quests for this, and when I use the "tame the beast" or whatever, it wont let me. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Hmm, they used to have quests when you levelled up that taught you how to tame pets, but maybe not anymore.

Anyway, make sure your pet is dismissed (do not abandon the pet which gets rid of the pet completely. You want to dismiss it so it goes into the stable) You can't tame a new pet if you have an active pet with you.
Reply Quote
39 Blood Elf Hunter
I've tried that but it still didn't work. D: I'll try it again just to be safe though.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
01/10/2012 09:13 PMPosted by Ariesxx
How do I tame a new pet? I don't remember ever seeing/doing any quests for this, and when I use the "tame the beast" or whatever, it wont let me. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

At your level you can probably only have one pet with you at a time, so if it won't let you tame it's either because the pet you want is not tamable (some types of animals are not, and some are available only to the beastmaster spec) or because you have a pet with you. To tame another pet you must stable (place with a stable master) dismiss (temporarily unsummon, which will only help once you reach a level where you can have multiple pets) or abandon (permanently unsummon, you will not be able to summon this pet again) your current pet.

Edit:
01/10/2012 09:22 PMPosted by Ariesxx
I've tried that but it still didn't work. D: I'll try it again just to be safe though.

If you could give the specific message that you're getting when it "won't let" you we could give more specific answers.
Edited by Thunderkat on 1/10/2012 9:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
39 Blood Elf Hunter
I think it has said invalid target, and that I could only have one pet, although mine was dismissed. So maybe I just have to leave it with a stable master.
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
Yeah dismissing won't work you have to stable it or abandon it.
Reply Quote
You decided to be a hunter, so you're off to a good start. :)

You'll need to put your present pet with a stable master, then go out shopping for your next one. I can't say enough good things about http://www.wow-petopia.com/ Every beast you can tame is there, with lots of great information. Your stable can hold 25 pets.

You should be able to learn to call a second pet at level 18. Then you can have two with you all the time, so you'd only need to put on in the stable before you could tame another.

I know you didn't ask, but I took a look at your gear. The stat you want is Agility. Any time you have a choice of which item to take, if any of them has agility, choose that. Stamina is good, and haste is good, and attack power and critical strike, But always agility will be what you want the most.

Go forth and have fun.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Okay, so that gives you a LOT of info to juggle. Let's see if this helps collate:

First of all, there is the difference between "active" pets and "stabled" pets. "Active" pets are available to be summoned and used, pets in the stable can be made active, but to do this you have to work with a Stable Master. Let us know if you'd like us to walk through the basics of using the Stable Master.

You start with 1 pet in your 1 active pet slot (and nothing in the stable). At level 10 you (should have) gained "Tame Pet." Now you can change out your pet for a different one, but you can only tame if you have an empty "active" slot. Therefore, while in your teens, in order to tame a new pet you need to Stable (preferably) or Abandon (last-ditch) your current active pet.

Remember that you can only tame an animal whose level is equal to or lower than your own.

The animal must also be categorized as "tamable." Use the "Beast Lore" skill to determine this. (The skill used to be much more important, and told us what the animal ate and otherwise required …)

At level 20 you should have gained "Call Pet 2." This gives you your second active pet slot. You will gain as many as 5, though only one animal can be out and with you at a time. However, as long as you have an open active slot, you can tame pets without having to stable or abandon those with you. However, you must still dismiss your current pet before trying to tame a new one.

Make sure you have trained all your available hunter skills.

I don't know if this helps you, or not. I bet the creature you are trying to tame is either not tamable, or is higher than your level.

Good luck!!
Reply Quote
01/11/2012 03:13 AMPosted by Liaeatha
I bet the creature you are trying to tame is either not tamable, or is higher than your level.

That's my first guess. When in doubt, check the target's level and/or cast Beast Lore (FWIW it still shows what they eat, even though feeding pets is no longer necessary).

Petopia! Absolutely. Bookmark it.

01/11/2012 03:09 AMPosted by Asenath
The stat you want is Agility.

Yup yup yup, and at 40 you can learn to wear mail gear, so you'll spend several levels switching over from leather to mail, depending on which piece will upgrade your Agility more. Make you big strong hunter, kick lots of booty.

01/10/2012 09:18 PMPosted by Amandalynn
Hmm, they used to have quests when you levelled up that taught you how to tame pets, but maybe not anymore.

Deathwing ate the coding for those quests, so now hunters start with a pet and just train the pet abilities at 10, unfortunately with no explanation as to what they're for and how to use them.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I go to the stable, stable at least one active pet. Walk to where the new beast will be tamed. Dismiss current pet. Lay an ice trap(I usually dont though). Then click tame beast. Make sure it is one that can be tamed. The spirit bear beast was in an ice trap during the taming.
I *think* the beast has to be within 2 or 5 levels of you. I know it cant be to far over your level if at all. Also check with the beast lore to make sure you can actually tame it.
I have had no issues with taming pets.
Reply Quote
01/11/2012 08:56 AMPosted by Gelynia
I know it cant be to far over your level if at all.

It has to be your level or lower.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
01/10/2012 09:58 PMPosted by Jilixx
Yeah dismissing won't work you have to stable it or abandon it.

...you may want to update yourself on how hunters work ;)

hasn't been this way for quite some time.
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
...you may want to update yourself on how hunters work ;)

hasn't been this way for quite some time.

What on earth are you talking about? You can have 1 - 5pets depending on your level on you. If you have that amount of pets you cannot tame another until you stable or abandon your pet.

There are the abilities Call pet 1,2,3 etc etc.

I am well aware of how hunters work.
Reply Quote
39 Blood Elf Hunter
Thank you all for all of your help. I've bookmarked petopia and am going to keep in mind everything you guys have said. I apologize it took me a bit to reply, had to work and I forgot to check back here.

I really love how helpful people are here, its another bonus to buying the game. :)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
01/12/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Ariesxx
I really love how helpful people are here, its another bonus to buying the game. :)

:-)

You're very welcome! And I wish there were ways you could contact folks for help w/o the bother of posting a thread.

You chose the right class, btw!!!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
You're very welcome! And I wish there were ways you could contact folks for help w/o the bother of posting a thread.

*points to the "giving back" sticky at the top of the forum*
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks, Avanna!

I went ahead and signed my toons up on the mentoring list!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]