Are all MMORPG's like this?

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Paladin
So as well as playing WoW I have recently been playing a few other MMO’s with some friends. I have started to notice this trend with a lot of MMO’s and I think that may be one of the reasons I’m losing interest in the genre.

When I was new to WoW, it was amazing because I had no idea what was going on, this actually kept the game interesting for me. A friend of mine though had said something that has stuck with me all these years,

“The real game doesn’t start until you’re max level”.

I’ve been thinking about that a lot recently as I have been casually leveling in SWTOR, I see a lot of my friends racing ahead as quickly as possible to get to max level to start doing Operations, the SWTOR version of raids. Like in a lot of MMO’s, I’m seeing this same pattern form in SWTOR that has been present in WoW for years, the focus on max level gameplay. I like the idea of MMO’s, I love playing online with other players, but this style of get to max level, gear up to do raids, just to gear up for the next level of raids, just to gear up for the next level….etc is getting boring. Having to go out and farm the same raid for 8 months while we wait for the next one is tedious. I cleared normal mode first week it was out, now were slowly plugging away at the occasional heroic, but is harder versions of fights I have already done really the answer to adding content?

Now I’m not saying WoW is bad, or that it’s dying. I’m not saying I hate the game and I am going to quit, but is there any MMORPG’s out there that have a different setup then this max level gear grind that anyone knows about, or is this pretty much the standard of the industry now?

I'm sorry if this doesn't belong in General Discussion, was unsure what category to put it in.

Edit: With the constant nerfs to the leveling xp in BC, Wrath and Cata zones is that blizzard agreeing that the endgame is more important then leveling now? If Endgame is more important is there any systems WoW can bring in to advance a characters story beyond daily quest hubs and raids?

And will Blizzard ever bring in a feature that allows you to take and do quests that are specific to your own character instead of forcing everyone down the same quuest path. A good example of this is you can't unlock certain quests in borean Tundra unless you do the one where you torture a captive if I remember correctly, thats not what I think my pally would do.
Edited by Judge on 1/13/2012 7:04 AM PST
90 Human Rogue
I have three maxed toons. All three roles, tank, healer and dps.

I find the best part of the game for me is leveling new toon of different classes. What was easy for one class is not for another.

Hence, this strapping chap.

Edit: spelling ftw!
Edited by Nowuceemee on 1/12/2012 7:46 AM PST
1 Human Mage
Thinking about why to play any game will be its down fall.
90 Human Warrior
"Success is a journey, not a destination." - Bruce Lee

Sadly not a lot of people have this sort of mentality....They just rush to max level, do a couple raids/BG's, and then complain to Blizzard about how bored they are and about the lack of new content.

The enjoyment you find in any MMO, not just WoW, depends entirely on the manner in which you choose to spend your time with it. If you want to just rush as fast as you can to endgame that's your choice but you shouldn't be complaining when you suddenly find yourself with nothing to do.
It's pretty standard now because players want a very optimized approach. Also, after a game reaches a certain age, like WoW, the players can no longer tolerate the long leveling process because they've seen it so many times and it never changes.

Historically the level up process has been just as important as the end game. In the earlier days of WoW but especially EQ leveling was a huge part of the game which in EQ took over a year for most players in which you would take your time doing dungeons, exploring the world, etc in a slow and thoughtful manner that was every bit as challenging as any end game content.

For the most part those days are largely over because MMOs have evolved into more efficient and "fun" versions of themselves at the expense of losing some of their immersion and charm.
28 Orc Warlock
It's standard because WoW made it standard.

When you make a game where it's easy to level and there's no penalty for dying, you have people reaching max level very quickly. When it comes to add new content, you're not going to add content for people blazing through their 20's. You're going to add content for the people sitting at max level bored with nothing to do.

But besides that, let's face it, aside from a Star Wars reskin and poorly acted voiceovers you're not going to find a lot of differences between SWTOR and WoW.
94 Human Paladin
In a game that requires cooperation with other players, and in which there is progressive increase in stats, you gimp yourself if you group with people who are behind in progression. So, there's a strong social pressure to level and gear up as fast as possible, so you can stay with the "in group" of geared people.

Miss the first wave reaching end game and your game experience can be harmed until a reset occurs (patch or expansion). This makes people race.
01/12/2012 07:58 AMPosted by Judge
aside from a Star Wars reskin and poorly acted voiceovers you're not going to find a lot of differences between SWTOR and WoW.

Yeah this is not a SWTOR>WoW post. I like Star Wars right now because it's a different story but like I said in my post, if it turns into another race to max level just to do end game content game, I'll lose interest there as well.

EQ took over a year for most players in which you would take your time doing dungeons, exploring the world, etc in a slow and thoughtful manner that was every bit as challenging as any end game content.

That actually sounds like fun. Is EQ2 the same?

EQ2 seemed pretty bad from what I played of it but I'm not sure. I can tell you EQ is no longer like it use to be either. Sadly the glory days of MMO as a difficult virtual world seem to be behind us. But I must admit I haven't played very many outside of EQ/WoW, just basic glances at them.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Most MMOs focus on max level because they know that is where the majority is headed.. they know that in a few months nobody will care aobut the level 17 content. Blizzard made leveling faster because of this factor.
85 Human Mage
All theme park MMO's are pretty much the same. Grind stuff to be able to ride the next "big" ride. Since the company cannot make rides fast enough to keep them fresh (no one could), they have to put grinding gateways to give players something to do with weeks and months of game time. The company only gets paid if you keep your sub active.

You may be looking for a sandbox game. There are few out there, and none the size of WoW, or even close. It also takes a very different mindset to play in a sandbox.

One I have played is Eve Online, and though some theme park elements have crept in, it remains mostly a sandbox. Just remember that you have to make your own goals and reasons for logging in to a sandbox game. They also tend to be more PvP oriented, and if you do go the Eve route, you will find out just how much Blizz holds your hand.

Always remember though, something in a game has to be a "grind", as you need something to do with all that game time. The question is more of how fun the grind is.

GL.
100 Gnome Mage
Obviously it depends on the person, but after years of playing various MMOs, I definitely feel that in "leveling" MMOs (as opposed to skill-based progression MMOs like UO or EVE) the leveling just feels like a ridiculously long, poorly thought-out tutorial. I can't wait for it to be over so that I can start doing the end-game activities, whether that be 5-mans, PvP, "stuff" hoarding, etc.

From a gameplay standpoint, you learn most of what you need to know when you're leveling during the first few levels. The rest is just repetition + "story," and I just can't get excited about story in MMOs where the story is SUPPOSED to be about the real people in the game, not so much the npcs.
15 Worgen Warlock
This is why MMO's are being killed off by more-hyped, better-designed console games. I'm not saying WoW's dead, that MMO's suck (I still like 'em), or that consoles are better. Just that the model is generally out-dated and will remain so until Blizzard ('cause lets face it, they're the only ones who know what they're doing) makes then next-gen. WoW so to speak.
So as well as playing WoW I have recently been playing a few other MMO’s with some friends. I have started to notice this trend with a lot of MMO’s and I think that may be one of the reasons I’m losing interest in the genre.

When I was new to WoW, it was amazing because I had no idea what was going on, this actually kept the game interesting for me. A friend of mine though had said something that has stuck with me all these years,

“The real game doesn’t start until you’re max level”.

I’ve been thinking about that a lot recently as I have been casually leveling in SWTOR, I see a lot of my friends racing ahead as quickly as possible to get to max level to start doing Operations, the SWTOR version of raids. Like in a lot of MMO’s, I’m seeing this same pattern form in SWTOR that has been present in WoW for years, the focus on max level gameplay. I like the idea of MMO’s, I love playing online with other players, but this style of get to max level, gear up to do raids, just to gear up for the next level of raids, just to gear up for the next level….etc is getting boring. Having to go out and farm the same raid for 8 months while we wait for the next one is tedious. I cleared normal mode first week it was out, now were slowly plugging away at the occasional heroic, but is harder versions of fights I have already done really the answer to adding content?

Now I’m not saying WoW is bad, or that it’s dying. I’m not saying I hate the game and I am going to quit, but is there any MMORPG’s out there that have a different setup then this max level gear grind that anyone knows about, or is this pretty much the standard of the industry now?

I'm sorry if this doesn't belong in General Discussion, was unsure what category to put it in.

Yes, all MMO's are this way. Wow isn't dieing it's just old, everything that can be done has been done and if it's new it's only new for a few days then it's been down by 10 million people.

That is the reality of all MMo's. I've played a good number and most of them are "top heavy" as in most of your players and activity is at higher levels. Fact is wow does a good job given you stuff to do while you play. Battle Grounds and Queing for Instances as you quest.

But that aside, all mmo's are this way to some degree. Even the newest mmo's will suffer of this.

Guild Wars 2 has a few different features which reminds me of a Phantasy Star Online/Universe feel. there are no tanks or healers and you dodge to miss damage and heal your self.

But still.... they are the same.. if you don't enjoy making characters and leveling them.. then this feeling you are having will make you just stop playing, or atleast lower your time spent in game.
80 Tauren Druid
Check out the forum Gaming and Hardware.

There is a new game coming out that might just up your alley. I cant mention it in this forum because that 'Bad'.

Check out the 20+ page post in that forum tho. Then take a look at that game. Its what weve been waiting for ( I hope to early to tell)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]