Are all MMORPG's like this?

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Hunter
People make the mistake of thinking you have to race to max level and raid to truly get everything out of an MMO. Honestly, (at least with WoW and swtor) you can play them how you like. If you aren't into that style of play and your friends are, play a different game or find people that enjoy a more causual gaming experience. This means you can't be bothered to worry about what other people are doing. In an MMO, that can be hard for some to do.
76 Human Paladin
Other MMORPGs are worst.

Either the level grind is very long and tedious cause they wanna keep it oldschool where it takes months to reach the cap level. Or they tried copying WoW, where they make the level grind very quick, you can reach the cap level in under a month, but since they have a tighter budget, the end-game sucks, lacks content, there is nothing to do, or worst... the end-game community is so small that there is no one to do end-game content with cause they only made the level grind quicker AFTER launch, when the game was nearing it's death!

That's the #1 problem with so many WoW competitors, at launch, the level grind is long and tedious and only after the game starts losing half it's subscribers, do they decide to make the level grind easier, which is too late because most players have quit and aren't coming back.

Now about the end-game, this is where it sucks the most. Lack of content! There is no MMO out there with so much end-game cap level content! Most MMOs don't have dailies, or they do but the rewards suck. They don't have a LFR or LFD system, and since most subscribers quit before ever reaching the cap level, there's barely anyone to group with to do raids and 5 to 7 man dungeons! Either that or they are always missing a tank, or missing a healer, and DPSers are overpopulating the servers, so more people quit.

You may not like doing dungeons and raids over and over again for 1 piece of gear or two, but that's just how it has to be. Unless you can come up with something that Blizzard or any other MMO developer out there has come up with for a MMO end-game, then there is nothing else.

Every other MMO out there is just worst than WoW. It's a fact!!! If it wasn't a fact, then WoW wouldn't be the #1 selling MMO in the world, they'd be #2!
80 Tauren Druid
01/12/2012 09:24 AMPosted by Elaxia
You may not like doing dungeons and raids over and over again for 1 piece of gear or two, but that's just how it has to be

I choose Nay to this one.

I personaly enjoy the act of coming together as a group and acheiving a common goal, not the shiny purple thing at the end.

For some people like me and the OP the fun is in the doing no the getting.

01/12/2012 09:24 AMPosted by Elaxia
Unless you can come up with something that Blizzard or any other MMO developer out there has come up with for a MMO end-game, then there is nothing else.

Just wait, be patient. Its coming. I swear it.

And the great thing is when a game like that does get luanched it will only stand to make WOW a better game, giving blizzard some new ideas on how things 'can' be done could only be a good thing for us all.
85 Dwarf Priest
01/12/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Judge
I want a game that allows me to play a character unique to me.

Honestly, that is what tabletop gaming is for. Players and their game masters (GMs) spend hours creating characters that are unique to the player. And then the GM creates a story that the players follow. But while a (good) GM might have an overall plan for his/her players the path they take is determined by the players not the GM.

Computer based RPGs (MMO and single player alike) simply do not have the AI to handle what EVERY player wants, so the path is generally predetermined. Sure you can go off and do whatever you want but the game will not progress until you the player get back to the predetermined story.
The long-term plan of any traditional MMO is end-game content, as beyond the core release, the majority of the game populace will be at maximum level and that is where the addition of content, naturally, will go.

Some rare games, like EVE Online, have no endgame and feature an open sandbox style of play, with the focus being on evolving and expanding play modes instead of endlessly stacking new level-cap content on top of each other.
85 Troll Hunter
Western RPG are about the whole "take your time leveling and explore the world your own way" type of game play. However, those type of games are single player (Skyrim).
90 Tauren Druid
I'm looking forward to a choose your own adventure type MMO. Do what you want, open ended game play. Become a merchant, a representative, an adventurer whatever.

On this entire planet of azeroth, there is one goal, kill the bad guy and reap the rewards.

I think Ultima Online used to have something like this. The endgame stuff was there, but you could do your own thing too.

@OP, as someone else already said, EVE Online is pretty open-ended. It seems to be mostly player-driven, but from what I saw of it, it's amazingly time-consuming if you intend to get anywhere with it.
Community Manager
01/12/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Judge
“The real game doesn’t start until you’re max level”.

Before I begin, I should clarify that the following post is composed entirely of my own, personal opinions.

I think that games in the MMO genre tend to transform at the level cap, mostly because leveling has ended, which heralds a slight change in basic gameplay.

In World of Warcraft, many of the same experiences that are available when leveling up remain available at the level cap (questing, exploring new areas), and you also gain access to new experiences and challenges. The motivations and goals tend to be a bit different and less single minded. Rather than pursuing a new level, and the new abilities and talents that can come with it, instead you might be seeking a powerful item, trying to defeat a more powerful enemy in PvE, or achieving a milestone in the PvP game, among many other goals including completing achievements, finishing collections, capping professions, etc. Gameplay broadens, from the relatively simple road of questing and leveling, into a broad plain of possibilities.

The leveling experience awaits once again with a new character though, and playing a game with a new character class can offer an entirely new gameplay experience, especially if you select a different class role than the one you're already used to. Of course, expansions also offer the opportunity to experience leveling again for end-game characters. Some would say that there's an unfortunate tendency for players to plow through expansions as quickly as possible to pursue end-game again, because they have a pre-conception that "it's the only thing that matters".

Honestly, that is what tabletop gaming is for. Players and their game masters (GMs) spend hours creating characters that are unique to the player. And then the GM creates a story that the players follow. But while a (good) GM might have an overall plan for his/her players the path they take is determined by the players not the GM.

I absolutely adore table top gaming, and it's a popular pass time here at Blizzard.

I believe that a good game master, with the help of a group of players who are willing to invest themselves in the story and their characters, together can create an experience that is truly thrilling, engaging, cathartic and satisfying. Even a not so serious game can be outright hilarious, and I don't think I've ever spent as much time laughing as I have around the gaming table.
89 Human Paladin
WHY ^^
1) Official poster commiserates to subscribers frustration
2) Official re-asserts that subscriber isn't playing game properly.
3) Move along, nothing to see here.

All video games are made by massive corporations. Keyword - massive - no proper creative direction.. just a bottom line - make money. What works is the bottom line - the end game model.

...and yet, you still pay them for the privilege of doing so.

Teen angst is so...90's (for me, at least).
90 Worgen Druid
WHY ^^
1) Official poster commiserates to subscribers frustration
2) Official re-asserts that subscriber isn't playing game properly.
3) Move along, nothing to see here.

All video games are made by massive corporations. Keyword - massive - no proper creative direction.. just a bottom line - make money. What works is the bottom line - the end game model.

Yeah, that's it.

Because from Daxxarri's post it sure sounds like he, and others at Blizzard, don't care at all about their products, just about their money.

/end sarcasm.

PS: Contrary to current popular belief, not all capitalists are greedy, heartless, money grubbers. Some actually do their jobs and grow their companies because they love them. More so in the cases of large companies who are still headed by the founders. (Apple and Blizzard are examples)
90 Undead Death Knight
STL
I'm looking forward to a choose your own adventure type MMO. Do what you want, open ended game play. Become a merchant, a representative, an adventurer whatever.

On this entire planet of azeroth, there is one goal, kill the bad guy and reap the rewards.

There was a game like this, but you probally never played it. Ultima Online circa mid 90s.
You made that game what you wanted.

When I first started on my shard the richest people were the craftsmen. =) They had enough money to pay people to gather them materials and they would craft stuff to sell on vendors at their house or they would be at a blacksmith shop nightly at certain hours, repairing and crafting stuff for gold. It was a real working economy created by simple supply and demand. Was fascinating to me.

No rules to speak of, no follow the quest. Wasn't even a level up game. Harsh game, not for the weak of mind or sensitive. Policed by the players. Almost hands off by the game masters. Still in my opinion the best MMO game ever and I have played alot of them.

Ultima Online is still around and I still have 3 accounts, but it is nothing like it was back in it's glory days. They changed it too much to try to mimic Ever quest and pretty much every mmo after that. Still a great game with lots of stuff. Hell you could spend months on the custom build your house tools in the game.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Raw summary of all MMORPG: Grind for shiny armor, weapons and professions/skills/abilities to kill something for more shiny armor and weapons. You can do this alone or with your friends.

Of course every game has its own feature but in overall you have to do that.
Edited by Paladín on 1/12/2012 1:01 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Mage
When I think of a sandbox MMORG I would like to imagine a game where I can progress my story line whenever I feel like, join groups of people that are fighting towards a common goal with no hassle.
I imagine a world I can actually influance and change.
I dream of a time when I dont have to wait 10 minutes to do anything because Im really waiting for a Tank to que up and lead me through a dungeon.
A game where I can play with any of my friends anytime as long as were on the same server it wouldnt matter what level we were we could just play together.
A game that has no End game so people rush through a bunch of stuff they dont like just to see the 'End'
If I want to play PVP then no waiting I pull down a server list and hit join.
Never seeing someone from another faction drop out of the sky and kill the thing Im going for even tho its 45 levels below him then /spit on me and leave.
:)

Pretty much my dream game, It's too bad that a game like WoW can't reverse it self and go a route like this, because i actually do like the lore surrounding the WoW universe, except for the poorly written Doctor Who lore of Burning Crusade.

this is my dream game too.

maybe we should start one ourselves guys.
:D
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]