How much did you hate Tol Barad?

86 Orc Warlock
Tol what..?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I am just starting out doing BG's and getting new gear, I like TB for that and to work out how to be more skilled at being a rogue. my main is a forest mage, and now i have this toon gearing them right is very inportain to me, the rogue for pvp the mage for raids. So yes I like TB. lol
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
01/16/2012 05:08 PMPosted by Malaloka
Win it or lose it, it's apparent that Tol Barad has become the most hated PvP area in the entire game since perhaps the introduction of arena. But luckily we've only got about one more year of dealing with this ridiculously put together battleground. So how about everyone shares their stories on just how much we hate Tol Barad?

if you hate it so much stop doing it.

i enjoy Tol Barad and I dont hate it at all.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
01/17/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Riverssong
forest mage

I know that was a typo but that would be awesome. A mage that conjures trees and throws them at people. Awesome.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
lol new spell (pitch a tree) hits for 40k with 30 sec cool down, lol
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
TB - I could live without it, but I do have fun when I'm in it.

One way I wish TB was more like Wintergrasp (and I would love to see this again in MoP) is that as long as you are in the zone you are flagged for PvP. Keep the quests, keep the outer zone a non-flagged area for those who don't want to have to do any PvP to get their marks. I just had so much fun in WG after the battles were over, riding around with a friend or two farming herbs, doing the weekly and looking for fights. And now I have the Robin Hood: Men in Tights song in my head.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Tol Barard in it's current state essentially functions as a potential honor bonus every few hours for those grinding honor in BGs for whatever purpose.

90-95% of people that I've queried participate solely for the potential honor gain, and are either indifferent and apathetic towards it or utterly detest the place.
Edited by Phd on 1/17/2012 11:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I love Tol Barad, as do many from Icecrown-Horde.

The main problem with Tol Barad is that majority of the players do not understand the finer mechanics of the battle, hence the strategies of winning it. However, like random BGs, a good or poor mix of healers and DPS can still be a deciding factor.

One of the best things that Tarren Mill/Crossroads, Halaa, Sprit Towers, Wintergrasp, Tol Barad, BGs before cross realm BGs, killing faction leaders achievements before the insane Cata guard buffs, and even the new DMF Deathmatch, did was to promote faction unity. Fighting side-by-side with players from your realm on a daily basis (or simply regularly), banding together to kill notable players from the opposing faction of your realm, rallying players to band together, all helps to promote the faction unity binding the community at the PvP level.

There are a few reasons why the general community seems to prefer Wintergrasp over Tol Barad.

For most of WotLK, WG as not balanced with a 1-to-1 queuing system until the end of the expansion, as such the dominant faction that kept winning across every realm was simply the faction with the higher player population; this is actually a fairly big problem Blizzards needs to figure out especially with MoP, else like in WotLK, it will fuel faction transfers from the smaller player population to the larger player population, exacerbating the problem. Since the higher player population faction of every realm wins almost all of the time as they were able to dominate WG by sheer numbers, the majority of the player community loved WG as they were simply the larger number. The side effects were: the underdog faction queued less thereby enabling the dominant faction to be larger and win more often; players faction transferred to the dominant faction of the same realm or other realms exacerbating the problem of unbalanced realms.

Blizzard tried to roll out some fixes, however anything that hurt the dominant faction hurt the larger player community and their outcries were very very loud as they were the majority. The underdogs did complain, but in comparison their voices were literially drowned out by the majority. At the end, Blizzard introduced systems in which WG would flip back and forth regularly appeasing both factions, but it also introduced complacency, however it didn't matter because it was the end of the expansion cycle.

The objective of WG is singular with a straightforward path to achieve it, while the objective of TB is three-pronged and requires coordination. Because of the singular objective, many were able lead WG at the same time since their commands were in general all leading to the same objective. While in TB, because majority of the players do not understand the finer mechanics of the battle, everyone has a different idea of what needs to be done and where people need to be, as there are three objectives geographically distant from each other. Conflicting directions leading to confusion, disorganization, and losing is rather common in TB which has led to general unhappiness over their TB experience.

The 1-to-1 queuing system was a major step in balancing PvP in these battles, especially for unbalanced realms. It literally gave the underdogs of these realms a fighting chance, however it introduced a few problems for the faction majority... the inability to join due to the severe unbalance between the both factions; and the minority faction had a significant advantage as all their top PvP veterans could litterally be in every battle because their faction had fewer players in the queue compared to the much larger faction. For most realms, the tides started to turn in favour of the minority faction, the effect was the majority of the player community started to lose far more TB as compared to their WG days and their outcry that "TB is bad" and "WG is better" can still be heard today.

From my point of view, Tol Barad has a balanced map (since both faction starts at the same points and the same conditions in either role), the 1-to-1 queuing system is necessary (do you think it's fair if you played any BG today where the opposing faction outnumbered you? eg a 10 vs 15 WSG, 15 vs 20 AB, etc). Deciding factors are; faction unity and coordination; player composition, PvP experience and gear; leadership with a good understanding of both attacking and defending TB.

For more FAQs on Tol Barad, check out:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2112513383?page=6
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I agree just seems like it was put together over night. No real hard thought went into it and just seems so boring to play. Wintergrasp on the other hand i thought was great being able to drive vehicles and such and have everyone try and take over the keep was more of a rush then Tb.

I really hope Tb gets put to sleep real soon!
Reply Quote
I despise TB for one main reason...Warden's Vigil has a very defensible position and the enemy team just parks a bajillion people up there, not able to be knocked off. If they moved the flag out front and made the top inaccessible I think it would be a lot better.

Also, the entire concept of doing pvp do be able to do a pve boss who drops pvp gear is utterly stupid.

Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I like Tol Barad.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
I haven't queued up for TB in a good while. It's still good honor right?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ugh I hate it I've done it like 9 times and lost 8...
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
I do agree too that having some small chance to win is the only way to do your weekly BH which is a horrible idea. Like it was stated before the whole point of a raid is for PvE purposes, PvE purposes relates to gear without resilience, in 9 times out of 10 all loot is some kind of PvP gear.
Edited by Tyrasus on 1/18/2012 3:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Oh wow, Tol Barad is just plain great compared to IOC, SOTA or the current AV. It's far from the most hated PvP area.

It's certainly not great, but it's not that bad either.

This. Where is OP getting his info?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
They need to get off their !@#$ and bring back the old Alterac Valley. I remember joining an AV before work, having to log off to go to work, coming home and getting back into the SAME AV. It was insanely fun imo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]