Queen's Garnet duplication exploit?

(Locked)

85 Orc Death Knight
On my server the supply of Queen's Garnets have shot up dramatically within 24 hours. I personally was buying some to flip since I saw the prices getting reasonable and the seller ended up sending me 5 dozen of the things. That told me something was very wrong and there are a few people now selling dozens in the AH and in trade.

Within 12 hours the price cratered another 1000g per stone, for a one day fall of over 2000g. While I am no doubt going to take a loss on my purchase that's beside the point, these are supposed to be rare

You have duping going on and you should look into it.

Thanks!
35 Night Elf Druid
Same thing on Kel'thuzad Alliance side, now it's probably not "duping" but it could be how gold farmers/hacked accounts are unloading gold recently or something.
Edited by Emerzion on 1/7/2012 10:40 AM PST
85 Orc Death Knight
These are mostly guilded members in several guilds. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm letting Blizzard investigate what is probably a hole in the code allowing certain guilds to unload 2 dozen of the things at one time.
Support Forum Agent
01/07/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Zugdarr
These are mostly guilded members in several guilds. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm letting Blizzard investigate what is probably a hole in the code allowing certain guilds to unload 2 dozen of the things at one time.

You'll want to place a petition with particulars if you see this happen, Zug.

Entirely possible someone got compromised and cleared out a guildbank.
85 Human Priest
yup darkspear also this lvl 1 had 57 garnets -.-
Edited by Sásuke on 1/7/2012 10:55 AM PST
85 Orc Death Knight
Will petition, I know how it works. Usually the burglar has cleaned out the bank before anything get resolved or anyone notices. Figured I'd call attention here since petitions are taking 4 days to answer. Smoking good CS we have.
Support Forum Agent
01/07/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Zugdarr
Will petition, I know how it works. Usually the burglar has cleaned out the bank before anything get resolved or anyone notices. Figured I'd call attention here since petitions are taking 4 days to answer. Smoking good CS we have.

We are pretty good, but these guys are FAST.

Just remember, if something looks too good to be true - there are probably strings attached and be careful out there.

Thanks!
100 Draenei Paladin
01/07/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Zugdarr

Four days? Hardly. I put in a ticket the other evening and it was answered within 15-20 mins. :)
85 Orc Death Knight
01/07/2012 12:03 PMPosted by Evalorae
Four days? Hardly. I put in a ticket the other evening and it was answered within 15-20 mins. :)

Lucky you. Last ticket I filed this last week took them a solid 5 days to answer and the timer the entire time kept showing 15-20 hours. The ticket I just filed showed 16 hours. This is standard, I've been a customer over 12 years and know what I'm talking about when you're talking CS with our favorite studio.

I don't expect anything to be done about it, denials to be made, people to tell me it's hacked accounts and vague answers from blues. I'm merely reporting it because I know of at least 10 dupe exploits that surfaced the past 6 years and hoping someone in charge there actually still cares about the game's economy.
100 Human Mage

QFT. Yesterday I submitted a ticket reporting an inappropriate name, and the response came 13 minutes later (according to the time stamps visible on the support website).

Reporting a possible item duplication glitch will probably take a bit longer, as that takes a bit longer to investigate than a simple bad name, but if you suspect foul play of any kind you should report it.
Edited by Teliah on 1/7/2012 12:34 PM PST
85 Orc Death Knight
Got my response 30 minutes ago. This was blazing FAST. If it was any FASTer I could probably have timed it with a sun dial. 14.5 hours is a new world record, if this was measured against the response time of the US Congress you'd be putting them to shame.

You can close the issue and thread now, I now know you guys aren't on the case given the response I got seemed like it was meant for someone who was just discovered in the street with Alzheimer's and needing directions to the local Dairy Queen.

My confidence that you people actually care has been enhanced at least by 1/1000th of a percent.

85 Worgen Warlock
Did you expect them to remove every item you thought was a dupe? No. They investigate. If they found nothing wrong, that is all.

As for those dupe exploits, did you happen to see them on YouTube? Don't believe everything you see. Everything is done server-side, you can't dupe items in this game.
Edited by Karrek on 1/8/2012 4:48 AM PST
90 Orc Shaman
Did you expect them to remove every item you thought was a dupe? No. They investigate. If they found nothing wrong, that is all.

As for those dupe exploits, did you happen to see them on YouTube? Don't believe everything you see. Everything is done server-side, you can't dupe items in this game.

^
This is definitely the case. You cannot dupe items in WOW, it is not possible to do so. However, as Orlyia hinted above, what likely happened is that someone got their account hacked and the hacker cleared out a guild bank which happened to have a lot of these. If a guild is large enough to have a few DS teams, and the skill to do full clears, they will likely have a lot of epic gems.
88 Orc Death Knight
So, Mogrigg, you're saying that hundreds of gm alts who all have multiple raid teams in their guild get each raider to give up any epic gems so they can sell them at 50% of what the gems were selling for last week? Okay, maybe not impossible, but certainty unlikely. But having this happen on multiple servers? Level 1 alts, who are in random guilds, that stand beside a guild bank while you buy gems don't raise suspicion to you? This is happening on multiple servers, mine included. People are selling vial of the sands for 23k right now because they can "Somehow" "acquire" multiple sands of times for way less than vendor price.
13 Blood Elf Paladin
01/08/2012 08:59 AMPosted by Pandoma
So, Mogrigg, you're saying that hundreds of gm alts who all have multiple raid teams in their guild get each raider to give up any epic gems so they can sell them at 50% of what the gems were selling for last week?

No, he's saying that in a lot of raid guilds, epic gems may get stockpiled in the guild bank. If a person who has permissions to withdraw from that part of the bank then gets hacked, the hackers unload all those gems and then try to liquidate them for gold by selling them for an extraordinarily low price.

Hackers don't care about the amount, they just want the gold NOW before Blizz is on to them.

That's a heck of a lot more likely than some miraculous "item dupe".
90 Orc Shaman
So, Mogrigg, you're saying that hundreds of gm alts who all have multiple raid teams in their guild get each raider to give up any epic gems so they can sell them at 50% of what the gems were selling for last week?

No, he's saying that in a lot of raid guilds, epic gems may get stockpiled in the guild bank. If a person who has permissions to withdraw from that part of the bank then gets hacked, the hackers unload all those gems and then try to liquidate them for gold by selling them for an extraordinarily low price.

Hackers don't care about the amount, they just want the gold NOW before Blizz is on to them.

That's a heck of a lot more likely than some miraculous "item dupe".

You took the words right out of my mouth. Took me to long to post on my phone.
Edited by Mogrigg on 1/8/2012 9:11 AM PST
12 Blood Elf Hunter
when ppl are selling sand of time for 600g on a consistant basis its a dupe glitch
92 Human Death Knight
so they can sell them at 50% of what the gems were selling for last week?

It is the account thieves doing this, not the actual guild leader or guild members. Whenever there is something in demand being suddenly sold at a very low price, it is because the thieves want to turn those items into gold fast.

And it happens on multiple servers because account thieves will use character transfers to move the items around to the servers where they have a lot of gold buying customers. It would be very easy for them to consolidate their gems to sell on a single server to generate gold fast to sell. Same goes for vial mats. Remember, the thieves are not the ones who spent the gold to buy the mats, so they do not care at what price they can turn them into gold when they find such mats sitting in a character's bank.

Also, a note about items in WoW is that each item has a "serial number" as it is created. And much like two characters with the same name cannot exist on the same server, two items with identical "serial numbers" cannot exist on the same server. So duping is just not possible, or at the very minimum, it would set off alarm bells that would garner immediate attention.
Edited by Maul on 1/8/2012 9:19 AM PST
90 Orc Shaman
01/08/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Trashcanbaby
when ppl are selling sand of time for 600g on a consistant basis its a dupe glitch

No, it's not. Multiple people, including a blue told you what is really happening, and that item duping is not possible.
50 Tauren Druid
Lucky you. Last ticket I filed this last week took them a solid 5 days to answer and the timer the entire time kept showing 15-20 hours. The ticket I just filed showed 16 hours. This is standard, I've been a customer over 12 years and know what I'm talking about when you're talking CS with our favorite studio.

The ticket times just recently decrease by a good margin. Might explain the wait if you opened the ticket before the queue times were decreased.

World of Warcraft has only been around for 7 years.

Got my response 30 minutes ago. This was blazing FAST. If it was any FASTer I could probably have timed it with a sun dial. 14.5 hours is a new world record, if this was measured against the response time of the US Congress you'd be putting them to shame.

You can close the issue and thread now, I now know you guys aren't on the case given the response I got seemed like it was meant for someone who was just discovered in the street with Alzheimer's and needing directions to the local Dairy Queen.

My confidence that you people actually care has been enhanced at least by 1/1000th of a percent.

Can you please remove the negativity out of your posts?

Thanks....

So, Mogrigg, you're saying that hundreds of gm alts who all have multiple raid teams in their guild get each raider to give up any epic gems so they can sell them at 50% of what the gems were selling for last week? Okay, maybe not impossible, but certainty unlikely. But having this happen on multiple servers? Level 1 alts, who are in random guilds, that stand beside a guild bank while you buy gems don't raise suspicion to you? This is happening on multiple servers, mine included. People are selling vial of the sands for 23k right now because they can "Somehow" "acquire" multiple sands of times for way less than vendor price.

What exactly are you askin?

When you use the term "gm" are you talking about Guild Master or Game Master?

01/08/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Trashcanbaby

I am not aware of a single dupe exploit in the entire time this game has been around. Even if there was Blizzard would have the ability to remove every single item, created by this exploit, its clear you believe those scam YouTube videos

01/08/2012 09:12 AMPosted by Maul
So duping is just not possible, or at the very minimum, it would set off alarm bells that would garner immediate attention.

As you point out items are unique, so Blizzard has the tools to figure out how that item was created, and no doubt they keep track of the entire life of every single item.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]