God low level tanking sucks

30 Worgen Druid
I now see why there are so few of you tanks.

I decided to make a bear druid after hearing about how challenging and fun it was.
And it is challenging and fun!

But my lord how impossible low level dungeons are. Maybe I'm just getting a huge string of bad luck but man... I'm finding these low level instances almost impossible. No one waits, everyone facerolls, 99% of the time the healer is a disc priest who doesn't heal but spams smite (without atonement) and never shields.

I've gotten 3 different encounters where another player zones in and starts tanking, in a tank sopec, signed up for DPS and dies a lot... and it's somehow my fault.

Just had to vent... it's really friggin' ridiculous.

Also i'm lvl 19, not 17.
Edited by Mainsqueeze on 1/15/2012 2:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
My last go-round (as a healer with a friend tanking), this kind of behavior became much less frequent past the Scarlet Monastery.
Reply Quote
30 Worgen Druid
01/15/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Aedilhild
My last go-round (as a healer with a friend tanking), this kind of behavior became much less frequent past the Scarlet Monastery.

I really hope so.
In the effort of learning to tank, this is pretty hindering.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid
Oh yeah, low-level dungeons are just ridiculously difficult for tanks. Not the actual tanking part, it's the other group members being awful that makes it so hard.

It absolutely helps if you chime in at the start of the instance and say that you're still new to tanking. Ask them right off the bat to please let you pull and that any helpful advice is much appreciated. It gets better, honest! As mentioned, the level 30 dungeons are about when you start seeing people being somewhat courteous :3
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Loom people think they are god.
Well they can easy tank mobs but still don't worry about them.
Once they hit cata dungeons or even some lk dungeons and start pulling mobs from tanks they will get served and have a nice repair bill.

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
The higher level you get, the less retarded people are. At BC they get a semi-reality check, at lichking, they realize they cant just herpderp it up, and at 84-85 they have to not suck completly. When you get to heroics, people stabilize.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
01/15/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Mainsqueeze
Also i'm lvl 19, not 17.

that explains everything .. i mean, instances at lvl 17 are so brutal .. on lvl 20 they get better.

jokes aside, yes, people can faceroll nearly all instances. Don't ask for a lot of compassion from dpsers when (if they know how to play), most of them can solo instances (as a frost mage or hunter, or lock it's fairly possible to solo instances of your current level) ..

just play along, ignore all your 20-80 dungeon experience. Then at lvl 80 onwards it gets more interesting ..
Reply Quote
86 Undead Warrior
Bear tanking at low levels can be a real pain the booty. The problem with playing a Druid is that you get lots of different spells at different levels that aren't always geared towards your spec. If you played a Warrior, or Paladin I think you would have an easier time with your dungeons.

Also tanking in low level dungeons is very frustrating with random players. There's always going to be that Huntard with all out heirlooms going buckwild before you're even buffed. The reality is you just gotta deal with it. Bad players will be bad and it's not your fault.

My advice would be to just jump in and go crazy before anyone even has a chance. But remember to stay close to your healer.
Edited by Beatneck on 1/16/2012 10:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Given that I always roll with my pocket healer we just stop and let the group figure out that they should probably wait for us. They either learn quickly or die and we just go on without them. At low levels the dps are totally optional anyway - you and the healer could probably just two man the entire run.

It gets real fun when you run into the odd mob/boss that is immune to taunt and the mage pulls with pyroblast. Had this happen in a Heroic Black Morass - dragon ate the mage alive. Good times.
Reply Quote
47 Human Warrior
Im past SM and I keep getting the "Invincible" Hunter that thinks he can take on the whole instance, There are really only 2 things that bother me right now and that's 1: I thought dps was supposed to focus on what the tank is attacking? 2: dps (mainly huntards) throw everything they got before Im even able to thunder clap and then they complain that I cant hold aggro. what am I supposed to do? will warrior tanking get better as I level? lol
Reply Quote
86 Undead Warrior
01/16/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Maddocks
Im past SM and I keep getting the "Invincible" Hunter that thinks he can take on the whole instance, There are really only 2 things that bother me right now and that's 1: I thought dps was supposed to focus on what the tank is attacking? 2: dps (mainly huntards) throw everything they got before Im even able to thunder clap and then they complain that I cant hold aggro. what am I supposed to do? will warrior tanking get better as I level? lol

Sadly you're going to continue to run into those idiots. Nobody is going to focus fire your target. Why? Good question. DPS at low levels don't realize how much faster the run would go if they did.

Yes warrior tanking will get better. It's not the class, it's the random players. Once you reach 60+ I'd like to say that the players become a wee bit more patient but until level 80 you will probably continue to see the same morons still doing the same dumb thing.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
01/16/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Maddocks

you know whats even worse? the fact that .. yes, they can run the instance on their own.

Trust me .. i did. It's ridiculous that you can solo instances as a hunter or frost mage. Most boss until mid lvls are even kitable .. its like, really?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
But, you also have to remember there are just as many douche tanks too. THe Ret "tank" who thinks because he clicked the shield icon, the rest of the group should kiss his rear end the whole run. THe warrior tank who will argue with you the whole run that he read that blood and thunder is a terrible talent, and I'm bad because he can't hold aggro over a lame non serpent spread multi-shot. And of course there is the DKs in Upper and Lower Blackrock Spire. Everyone cringes inside when they zone into one of these and there is a DK tank.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
But yeah, attempting to learn how to tank in low level dungeons is a lesson in masochism.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Until most recently I only consider the PUG to be Me and the Healer. Those three other players that can't tank or heal can come along and hit things, or they can go their way and die, whatever.

Things get better as we level.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I'm leveling a healer with my fiancee, who's a tank. All we do is stand back and watch while the dps pull everything and get killed. We'll even run passed the dps while they're fighting a large group. They usually learn after the fourth or fifth death.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Once you get swipe, you can tank with 1 button.
Reply Quote
30 Worgen Druid
I appreciate all the advice.

Except

Once you get swipe, you can tank with 1 button.

you're just wrong.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Tanking has not changed since this game has been released.

One run and your being hailed as the greatest tank in the world.
The next ... your in a group of uncontrollable idiots that ... well ... words fail me.

This is the way it's always been and through level 0 - 85.

For giggles I created this toon and have been tanking up through the levels.

For the most part ... its been a whole lot of fun.
Now and again you get the jerks ... shake it off ... get another group.

WE all feel your pain and understand the need to vent.

But lousy skilled players dont get under my skin as much as loot!@#$%s and DPS rolling on my Parry/Dodge plate armor.

Thats a whole other stupid that cant be fixed
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]