Archeology: True BAD Game Design

MVP
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I think using the term 'bad game design' is one of those things that just don't sit well with the developers, because often times players really don't know what bad game design is, and it's rather insulting.

I think the article had some good points. I've always been one to say that I wish Archaeology had a museum to donate this stuff to. Or like the article suggested, make the Explorers League a sub-faction so that you can get other neat stuff.
Edited by Practical on 1/7/2012 3:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I think the easiest fix is as you fill up your "library" for each type of artifact... you start seeing that type less and less. Like fossils and nelf crap... I'm pretty sure I've put together pretty much every grey they offer 1000 times (feels like it) yet when I'm in Kalimdor working on arch... it's nelf and fossil sites 9/10 times... toss in an ocassional troll here and there and VERY rarely a Tol'Vir... in Uldum... we're your literally just about tripping over artifacts laying around all over the place.

I've -heard- that's how it's -supposed- to work, but in reality... it doesn't work that way.

make it like this plox. ive got all the night elf and fossil rares, just want my crawling claw from tol'vir to be done, but ive gotten over 50 straight common tol'vir's instead while flying all over the continent getting night elf and fossil digsites i dont want or need.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Learn abit of lore, get a few items, get a few greys to sell (sold one last night for 80g, not bad considering I was just derping in the area anyways).

I enjoyed it when I used to raid, gives you something to do, also helpful if you're collecting ore or something and a dig site is close.

Lore and gold? I'm in.
Edited by Slamsiren on 1/7/2012 3:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Everyone has known for a year now that archaeology is unfun, I thought?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I think using the term 'bad game design' is one of those things that just don't sit well with the developers...

Yes, I was being naughty there. Though in my own defense I will argue that layering RNG on RNG on RNG really is a bad game design. There isn't any meaningful player input into archeology other then not to do it.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
I liked the article. I haven't really gotten into Arch much because most of my time has been spent leveling characters and not secondary professions, but I've heard some nasty things :l
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
An excellent review at WOW Insider:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/05/the-overachiever-how-archaeology-could-get-a-lot-worse-and-why/2

Pretty well covers the problems. I know the devs threw archeology in like people recycle garbage, but damn I wish they had put some real thought in on it. Just a little fun would have been nice.

I liked archeology

As for Joystiq? It is pure trash and I wouldn't trust the reviews or opinions or anything from that site.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
What should happen is that each time you make a common for Race X, it should increase your chances of making a rare by a small %.

When all I had left were the shield for fossil, the sword for troll, and the staff for dwarf, I went on a 2-week stint where I made 25-30 artifacts a day.

At the end, I still only needed the shield for fossil, the sword for troll, and the staff for dwarf.

Made me feel like I was trying to craft a blue item in Aion.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
01/07/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Maehara
As for Joystiq
Ignorance is bliss.

Joystiq only host WoWinsider, which I always found to be one of the best WoW related Fan-sites for the game. Joystiq doesn't write their articles.

Well there you go I hate WoWinsider too.

As for why I hate Joystiq itself? because regardless of the game, or computer topic I have ever been linked to on that site or read while surfing for info it has more or less been trash and full of people talking about subjects they barely comprehend as if they were experts.
Reply Quote
76 Tauren Hunter
Archaeology isn't bad game design. Why? Because it's not a game. It's a small part of a much bigger and more complex game. It can be a grind; it doesn't age well for most play styles. But I got a fair amount of enjoyment and toys out of it, I was happy with that time I spent doing it, and I still put in some digging time now and then. It helps if you actually have something to do other than WoW for those long flights; I used to grade papers or play turn-based games on my DS. Of course, if you don't have any interests other than WoW that could be a problem...

Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
01/07/2012 04:58 PMPosted by Bloodysaber
I liked the article. I haven't really gotten into Arch much because most of my time has been spent leveling characters and not secondary professions, but I've heard some nasty things :l

I'm told it's easier to level now than it used to be. Like fishing. Same RNG though. Which I personally enjoy, while others do not. It's all down to opinion in the end.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
You fly to the digsite which might take several minutes - then the real grinding begins. Place your telescope. If you're lucky you can run over to the next position but if the digsite is large or has obstructions you'll have to mount and fly. Telescope down, mount, fly, repeat up to 10 times per fragment. 3 fragments per digsite. Maybe 4 digsites total to complete one Uncommon artifact with several minutes flight between each digsite.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/07/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Practical
I think using the term 'bad game design' is one of those things that just don't sit well with the developers, because often times players really don't know what bad game design is, and it's rather insulting.

Wow. Stop and think about what you just said. Then remember that this isn't the first video game to exist in history.

Players DO know what bad game design is. In fact they are the only demographic that does. The "Developer" demographic exists almost entirely to guess at the only opinion that ultimately matters: the players.

Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. Just because you got it right 9 times, does not mean you will on try number 10. Assuming that 9 home runs will automatically make number 10 great is why companies die.

Secondly, it is insulting, yes. You created something millions of people will use. And there's no crying in baseball. If critique offends you here's pro-tip #'s 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7: DONT MAKE THINGS FOR MILLIONS OF PEOPLE BECAUSE SOME WONT LIKE IT.

you're welcome for that advice by the way.

Last, while it may be insulting it's nothing, NOTHING compared to how insulting it is to suggest that only devs, not customers can know what CUSTOMERS want. It's also stupid and self defeating.

Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
I always thought it was pretty cool. It would have been nicer had I uncovered what I was looking to uncover at the time, whenever it was still a valid venture.. but the thrill of the chase was satisfying on a certain level.

There are so many improvements and changes left up for this particular aspect of the game. Imagination and creativity are limitless.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Archaeology gave me something to do in WoW while I watched multiple seasons of Mythbusters on Netflix.

Yes, it's awful game design. It exemplifies all the negative aspects of MMO gameplay (soul-crushing repetitiveness and RNG masochism) and hardly any of the good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]